• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

ATTN: Linux users Novell, Wins AGAIN!

The Jury came back today with a verdict in the SCO verses Novell case. Novell, won again.
    Now this win could be thrown out by the Supreme court, if they decide to review the first appeal reversal. In which case Novell originally winning, most likely would be reinstated.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Even if by some miracle SCO wins against Novell, that only means they own the code that they claim IBM put into Linux. They still need to prove that that code is actually in Linux. So far, none of the experts have been able to locate the offending code.

As a casual Linux user, I'm not worried and expect SCO to eventually fade away.
    Chr's

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

SCO is still around? Novell is still around? I don't think we even test SCO Linux at work any more, but of course that is hardly surprising given the company I work for.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I remember when SCO was a reputable company. I worked with a guy that installed several of their servers for POS. At the time, I was working on my NetWare 4.x CNE.

Now, nothing but fond memories of NetWare, and utter disgust at was SCO has become. For those of who who don't know, NetWare is still around. I think it now runs on top of SUSE. Not sure, the last NetWare box I supported was running 5.1.
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I remember when Netware ran under OS/2 back in the day. It was really cool to have 3 or 4 completely separate Netware servers running simultaneously on the same machine. OS/2 was a great OS at one time. I wish IBM had marketed it better.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hmmm, flavors of Unix and the Supreme Court. I'm reporting you guys for a religious and political discussion.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JSUPreston
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Montgomery, AL.
              • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Dave, I never actually ran NetWare under OS/2, but I supported a lot of OS/2 in the mid/late '90s (state government). I still have a couple of copies at home. A few months ago, I tried to load Warp 4 in a VM. Didn't go so well. As a matter of fact, the old voice mail server I used to have here at the office ran OS/2 3. We retired her in 2k8.

Remember the Config.sys file? I had a few systems where that hit a couple of hundred lines. Made troubleshooting a nightmare, but I could clone a drive very easily. I had a custom boot floppy that got me to a command prompt. FDisk and format the destination drive, and all I had to do was: xcopy c: d: /s/e/t/h/o and go grab a Coke. Boss thought I was incredible, because I could build quite a few machines in a very short time.

Ahh...memories of when tech support was a lot easier.
              "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

Working...