DIY tree stump removal, drill bit getting caught?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

A stump grinder is a very manly tool!

Pretty funny about the burning thing, though. It's just not something that would be discussed here. Between air quality concerns and fire danger, homeowners with kerosene and a match will cause a riot.

JR
    JR

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Okay you guys have me intrigued by the burn out method...

How can I be sure this is a SAFE thing to do?

I am concerned about the roots burning underground and catching something else on fire.

My thought process as I understand what you guys are saying is this...

#1, clear off any and all combustible materials within a reasonable radius to the stump. In the case of the Beech, I have about 4 feet before the fence, some leaves, etc that can be raked away etc...

#2. Fill the holes that I already have in there (This was a TON of work) with some sort of liquid fuel. I have LOTS old Coleman fuel left over from last season... Let it soak in.

#3. form a basket of sorts around the stump with hardware cloth and fill that basket with charcoal. (Not going to cook on it, so cheapo Wally World charcoal should be okay right?)

#4. Set lawn chair on deck, with cooler, and hose next to the chair (just in case) apply means to start charcoal (I usually use a charcoal chimney and newspaper).

#5. Start fire and observe as it burns the stump out....

Any idea how long I will be sitting there making sure this doesn't become Mrs. O'learys Cow?
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JR
        A stump grinder is a very manly tool!

Pretty funny about the burning thing, though. It's just not something that would be discussed here. Between air quality concerns and fire danger, homeowners with kerosene and a match will cause a riot.

JR
        Stump grinder is not an option for my back yard. Every stump grinder I have looked at is 36" wide, my gate is 32", and the city gives BIG tickets for driving down the Bayou... (I thought about towing one behind the house down the Bayou but don't want to risk a $500.00 ticket).
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

4a. Pop the top on a carbonated yeast-based beverage (CYB-squared)
          4b. Shout, "Honey! Watch this!"

JR
          JR

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Uh, I MAY live in the south, drive a pickup, own firearms, etc...

But I have NEVER uttered the phrase (at least non jokingly...) "hold my beer and watch this!"

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Comments below...

Originally posted by dbhost
              Okay you guys have me intrigued by the burn out method...

How can I be sure this is a SAFE thing to do?

I am concerned about the roots burning underground and catching something else on fire.

I've burned out 4 stumps so far including two pines that had been dead for along time and no roots caught fire underground

My thought process as I understand what you guys are saying is this...

#1, clear off any and all combustible materials within a reasonable radius to the stump. In the case of the Beech, I have about 4 feet before the fence, some leaves, etc that can be raked away etc...

Yes. I also dig a trench of sorts and keep it wet.

#2. Fill the holes that I already have in there (This was a TON of work) with some sort of liquid fuel. I have LOTS old Coleman fuel left over from last season... Let it soak in.

Helps especially on green wood but not necessary. The difference is if you don't do this you use a little more charcoal. If you do this, then the burning smells like the fuel. I am far enough away from my neighbors that nobody cares. If all you use is charcoal then all it smells like is a grill. I use diesel. You DON'T want gasoline. Too combustible. Something heavier like diesel or kerosene.

#3. form a basket of sorts around the stump with hardware cloth and fill that basket with charcoal. (Not going to cook on it, so cheapo Wally World charcoal should be okay right?)
              Yes.

#4. Set lawn chair on deck, with cooler, and hose next to the chair (just in case) apply means to start charcoal (I usually use a charcoal chimney and newspaper).

#5. Start fire and observe as it burns the stump out....

Any idea how long I will be sitting there making sure this doesn't become Mrs. O'learys Cow?

Depends on how big/close to the ground/dry the stump is. I had a dry pine stump burn in a few hours. I had a green oak stump that took two burnings and the second one one smoldered overnight. I wouldn't start a fire then go away for the day, but I have started it up, let it go and did other outside stuff with just coming back to check every half hour or so. Oh and especially on green wood you can rake the charcoal off and the stump will extinguish itself if you need to go away. This is better than wetting it cause then you have to wait for it to dry to start the burn again.
              Last edited by crokett; 08-25-2009, 11:24 AM.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• sscherin
                • Dec 2003
                • Kennewick, WA, USA.

I have a 3' diameter stump in the back yard.. Think I'll need 2 or 3 bags of charcoal?

The PO tried to grind em out but left 2-3" above grade
                William's Law--
                There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• rnelson0
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • Midlothian, VA (Richmond)
                  • Firestorm FS2500TS

Lowest quote I got for stump removal for all 5 is $750.00 so DIY is worth the effort...
                  I thought stump removal was expensive as well. I found a retired guy here who ground a stump for me for $45. Considering it was a huge 2' diameter stump with all the gnarled roots everywhere and I wanted to actually plant on top of the roots, that was far more effective than any DIY effort.

I would check around for some retirees at the bowling lane or something who do it for beer money, not a living anymore.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by sscherin
                    I have a 3' diameter stump in the back yard.. Think I'll need 2 or 3 bags of charcoal?

The PO tried to grind em out but left 2-3" above grade

It would depend on what size bag you buy. I buy the 24 LB bags and would guess you could get by with 2. It might depend on how wet, tree type and overall size.

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by sscherin
                      Probably 3. At least. The other reason to burn them out is, its fun. Plus I've heard of guys grilling dinner over the coals (although I wouldn't if you add fluids to help the fire along).
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Abyss, PA
                        • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by crokett
                        Probably 3. At least. The other reason to burn them out is, its fun. Plus I've heard of guys grilling dinner over the coals (although I wouldn't if you add fluids to help the fire along).
                        What? Don't tell my neighbor that... He loads up his charcoal with so much lighter fluid the flames are 2' high and throws his steaks on the grill while the flames are still visible and it smells like burning lighter fluid. yuck..

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Well, I got home, and applied the drill with a more gentle touch, clearing the bore FREQUENTLY using the Speed Bor Max bits. I took a different tack this time by starting the holes with th e5/8" bit, then 7/8" and finally 1". So Stump Out is in them, it's too stinking hot here to be in a hurry anyway, so I wait. 6 more weeks puts us in October, which is fine, it will be cooler then... I have some time to clear the bits of remaining fence that one of these trees was pushing over, and strip out any other remaining problem landscaping so I can maximize my trip to the dump...

After looking into what surrounds these stumps, as soon as it is all clear and my 6 weeks have gone by, I am going to do the charcoal trick to them. Probably start early on a Saturday morning...

Then the fun begins once that is all done. Putting the fence back in... I'm renting a gas powered auger to dig the new post holes for sure!

Comment

• Bill Stock
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • Canada, Eh!
                            • BT3100

A little late to this thread, but I had a similar problem with a fresh stump in the spring. It took a lot of hole clearing as you indicated. I put a pound of KNO3 in the holes and covered it with peat moss. I'll have to look at it again and add my other pound of 'stump remover'. I've heard of people drilling holes and poring some kind of flammable stump remover in the holes; mostly kerosene I think.

My favourite method is to winch them out when possible, although at 12" it takes a lot of digging first. The worst was a double 12" stump I had to dig out for a shed. I've got a 6" to do in a couple of weeks, but I'm hoping it will pull right out of the ground.

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by Bill Stock
                              A little late to this thread, but I had a similar problem with a fresh stump in the spring. It took a lot of hole clearing as you indicated. I put a pound of KNO3 in the holes and covered it with peat moss. I'll have to look at it again and add my other pound of 'stump remover'. I've heard of people drilling holes and poring some kind of flammable stump remover in the holes; mostly kerosene I think.

My favourite method is to winch them out when possible, although at 12" it takes a lot of digging first. The worst was a double 12" stump I had to dig out for a shed. I've got a 6" to do in a couple of weeks, but I'm hoping it will pull right out of the ground.

Nothing better than immediate results. Mozey down to your local Ace Hardware and pick up some C4 (they must have a homeowners version).

Comment

• WayneJ
                                • Jan 2004
                                • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I knew somebody would think of that. C-4 will make that stump disappear. Its also good for fishing.
                                Wayne
                                Wayne J

Comment

Working...