• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

DP Table

I had mentioned in some recent threads that I was building a DP table and I finished it yesterday. Still thinking about the best way to do DC. I was going to put a dust port on the back of the fence but didnt want to restrict the depth. I am going to try a couple of other ideas or just suffer the mess

Its made from 2 layers of MDF, 3/4 base and 1/2 top. The top could have been 1/4 but I had a lot of 1/2 laying around. I edged with HW and the observant of you will notice 2 different types (again using offcuts that I had). The fence is made from 2 layers of BB. As you can see it has a removeable insert. I made up 4 of these so I have spares. I may drill one out to accept a sanding drum although I do have a OSS as well.

It fixes to the DP main table with 4 embedded T nuts.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Nice work! I hope it rolls out of the nook readily so you can drill on long boards.
    Also Post an RPM chart on the wall next to the DP.

since you have a variable speed DP with readout, there's little excuse not to change speed for the cleanest holes:
    This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Wood magazine Speed chart:
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Yup it is designed to sit atop my flip top mobile base that houses my planer. The chances of needing them both at the same time are remote.

Thanks for the speed charts. Thats one of the reasons I went for the variable speed option. If figured that way I would use it as no belts to fuss with. BTW I do change speeds

Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Looks good. Expecially like the dovetail ways on the insert.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
          Looks good. Expecially like the dovetail ways on the insert.
          Thanks Pappy. This was based on a design I recalled seeing in a woodsmith article a while back. The DT keys make sense as it keeps the insert steady and the fact that it slides allows you to move it and expose a fresh zero clearance area.

I just came back from Rockler as their $20off voucher was burning a whole in my pocket. I noticed they sell a 4 pack of inserts for their table for $7!! thats a pretty good markup for 4 pieces of 4"x8" 1/2" MDF !!!

I think I made the whole table for about $7, basically the price of the Nuts and knobs.
          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Looks great Poolhound! How did you make the wooden hold downs?
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Wow, that is a great looking table!

How does the variable speed on that DP work, is there a variable frequency drive or something?

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by cgallery

How does the variable speed on that DP work, is there a variable frequency drive or something?
                I too would like to know the answer to this question. How do you like the 12" Ryobi drill press? I am in need of a bench top drill press for my small basement shop, but not something I am going to outgrow quickly. A tool review would be perfect if you felt motivated.
                "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by jonmulzer
                  I too would like to know the answer to this question. How do you like the 12" Ryobi drill press? I am in need of a bench top drill press for my small basement shop, but not something I am going to outgrow quickly. A tool review would be perfect if you felt motivated.
                  FWIW, I was heading to Home Depot last weekend when I stumbled upon the CL listing for my DP. That was the drill press I was going to get...

Okay sorry about the short response and re-edit. Got sidetracked....

That Ryobi 12" gets a LOT of very good reviews from owners, and trade publications. Which probably means they will screw up and drop it in favor of keeping the 10" model that is far lower rated...

There are quite a few folks here with that DP, and aside from its limit due to size, it is a VERY highly regarded DP, especially among owners of small shops...
                  Last edited by dbhost; 11-23-2008, 08:10 PM.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Hoover
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • USA.

Originally posted by poolhound
                    Thanks Pappy. This was based on a design I recalled seeing in a woodsmith article a while back. The DT keys make sense as it keeps the insert steady and the fact that it slides allows you to move it and expose a fresh zero clearance area.

I just came back from Rockler as their $20off voucher was burning a whole in my pocket. I noticed they sell a 4 pack of inserts for their table for $7!! thats a pretty good markup for 4 pieces of 4"x8" 1/2" MDF !!!

I think I made the whole table for about $7, basically the price of the Nuts and knobs.

I thought I saw that design somewhere. You did a great job on the table. Well built and inexpensive to boot!!
                    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by cgallery

It still uses a belt. The front and back pulleys are made from two plates that open and close to change the effective diameter. The knob/lever on the left side changes the speed.
                      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
                        Looks great Poolhound! How did you make the wooden hold downs?
                        Glued a couple of scrap pieces of 3/4" something (I think it was poplar) to make a 1.5" wide by 1.5" high blank. Length to taste - mine were about 6". Drill and chisel the slot mortise while its still square. Then sketch the shap on the edge. Bandsaw, sand and apply some wipe on poly and thats that!

Other than waiting for the glue and finish to dry time to make was about 30 mins.
                        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by jonmulzer
                          So far its done everything I need. I recall that either Wood or FWW did a benchtop DP review last year and it came out as best value.

The light is a bit weak but at list it comes with one. the lasers work quite well but the X point is a little fuzzy - could well be my eyes

The only possible downside is it doesnt go V slow, 500 RPM is about as low as it goes. If this isnt an issue for you then its a good bet. I picked it up at HD when there was some offer and paid about $130 ish as I recall.
                          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Phoenix, AZ
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by Hoover
                            I thought I saw that design somewhere. You did a great job on the table. Well built and inexpensive to boot!!
                            I guess a cynic might say that I originally paid for the wood and MDF.
                            I have so much lying around my shop and a large off cut bin thats full of odds and ends do I dont really count the cost of stock unless it comes from my real wood store. Even then I have picked up lots of it from CL deals and the like.
                            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• tfischer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                              • BT3100

Nice work -- that's similar to one I built a few years back (yours looks nicer). Very functional -- I like having the replacable sacrificial middle sections... I still am on my first one since I just slide it back and forth for different hole sizes Still have a stack of 'em I made when I first built it...

-Tim

Comment

Working...