X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redmonds
    Handtools only
    • Sep 2007

ryobi Li-ion deal at BORG

Ryobi recently introduced a new Lithium 18v drill/driver combo package for $199 (it uses a smaller Li-ion battery than the standard tools). I was at HD yesterday and it was marked down to $159! They are now offering the drill alone for $159. Plus if you buy a combo package you get a free Ryobi One+ tool. So I was out the door with a new Li-ion drill/driver and a right angle drill for $159 total.

Steve
  • JaiPea
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Can you confirm what amp/hours rating the small batteries have?

P104: "2.4 Ah Lithium-ion battery pack holds charge 4X longer and has 2X the run time of standard batteries while being 20% lighter in weight."

P103: "45% lighter w/20% longer run time than the standard nicads."

- 1.2X longer runtime is a marginal benefit
    - 45% lighter is way less of a factor when tool weight is factored in
    - there is no mention of holding a charge 4X longer

The P103 is likely a 1.5Ah battery.

The Ridgid Lithiums are 1.5Ah and if want to know what Ridgid owners think about 1.5Ah batteries look at http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13430

There are lots of factors in runtime, and Ah is only one of them. The 18V Makita drill and driver is rated at 3.0Ah and lasts about twice as long in use as the 2.4Ah Ryobi drill and driver, so clearly there are other influences that favor Makita.

Comment

• redmonds
      Handtools only
      • Sep 2007

re: Ryobi compact batteries

I agree that it is difficult to tell the aH of these batteries. They are very small, about half the size of the standard batteries. However there are times when light weight has it merits and you can always use the standard Li-ion batteries with these tools. Both HD and the Ryobi website as well as the packaging is vague about these batteries. I held off buying this kit for these reasons but once the price dropped to $159 it seemed a much better deal. Plus they threw in a additional free tool of your choice.

Steve

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • SoCal, USA
        • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

I bought 2 of the Ridgid compact for $99 and returned both. Poor performance and run time was shorter than my Bosch compact LiIon's , runout at the chuck ;bad. With the newer compact tools I do not see why you would buy a heavier tool with only a 1.5aH battery? Somehow the Ridgid LiIon batteries are way different than the Milwaukee's, even though it is the same parent CO. Ridgid also changed my ebox and most others in an update several months ago to remove all LSA's that were there and approved previously.They now want all info again ,from 4 years ago on some tools to have the LSA again. The whole point of the ebox was as a backup for our use not their record keeping. I think there is some legal recouse if they do not fix this. Ridgid CS is really bad right now. I had the mod. PM me and said he woul direct it to the proper people, never got any reply!
        Read their forum. They are off my list for any future powertools.
        Andrew

Comment

• just started
          • Mar 2008
          • suburban Philly

Originally posted by Andrew Benedetto
          I bought 2 of the Ridgid compact for $99 and returned both. Poor performance and run time was shorter than my Bosch compact LiIon's , runout at the chuck ;bad. With the newer compact tools I do not see why you would buy a heavier tool with only a 1.5aH battery? Somehow the Ridgid LiIon batteries are way different than the Milwaukee's, even though it is the same parent CO. Ridgid also changed my ebox and most others in an update several months ago to remove all LSA's that were there and approved previously.They now want all info again ,from 4 years ago on some tools to have the LSA again. The whole point of the ebox was as a backup for our use not their record keeping. I think there is some legal recouse if they do not fix this. Ridgid CS is really bad right now. I had the mod. PM me and said he woul direct it to the proper people, never got any reply!
          Read their forum. They are off my list for any future powertools.
          Maybe I missed something in all those initials, but what does any of that have to do with the RYOBI deal?

Comment

• frumper64
            Established Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Garland, Tx, USA.

I picked one up and like it

I picked up one of these sets for $159 and got the bigger battery for my "free Ryobi tool". I used it quite heavily yesterday and was pretty impressed with the battery life. The main reason for picking up this set was the impact driver. I have one of the Ryobi impact drivers already and LOVE that thing. Granted, the Makita setup is nicer, but I just couldn't justify $279 for the Makita set-up when the Ryobi does everything I need for around half the price.
            It occurred to me after leaving the store that I probably could have gotten the full upgrade kit (bigger battery and a charger) for the free tool, but didn't think of it until it was too late. One thing I do like about the Ryobi LiOn batteries is that they do in fact put out full power until they need to be recharged and then the tool simply stops to warn you to put in a fresh one. I admit I normally have a bad habit of pushing NiCads too far when they start to get low - these things eliminate the temptation.
            Jim
            64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• Andrew Benedetto
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • SoCal, USA
              • Unisaw w. 52"Bies,22124CM & BT3K

It is basically the same battery by the same company in a cheaper made tool. The compact battery is a very poor performer, and cost over 2x's a Makita battery. My Bosch compacts had better run times as a comparison and are much better ergonomically.
              here is the Makita battery, 1.5aH;$40, the3Ah Milwaukee is $56 at amazon.

Last edited by Andrew Benedetto; 11-17-2008, 10:59 AM.
              Andrew

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

All I'll say is the Ryobi impressed one of the tool magazines. It wasn't the overall best, but the most bang for buck which is usually the case.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

Working...