• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Nice job. I made a similar one a few months back it made my life a lot easier and as you say its much easier to flip than you first think even with a 90lb planer on it.

Sarge - Mine has fully locking casters and its really stable when locked into position. the weight of the cabinet and planer combined make it very solid.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• Jes Pidlin
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2004
      • Long Island, Virginia.

Thanks for the post. I've been looking for a place to store my planer AND oscilating spindle sander, I think I've found it; bolt the OSS to the other side.
      Y'all have a gooden...jes

Comment

• Jay Yoder
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2008
        • NE Ohio
        • Jet Xacto Deluxe

Sweet stand! And thanks for the dwgs too!!

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Thanks for the compliments.

Anyone going straight by the drawings might want to check them very closely, especially the cutting diagrams. There were a couple of small modifications I did during construction. I think I modified the drawings correctly, maybe not the diagrams though. I added a rabbit on the base ply to receive the sides and back. That also made the glue up easier. The drawings are also nominal thicknesses, be sure to take into account the actual plywood thickness.

I think the best way to execute it is to make the top then build the rest around it.

When you go to bore the hole for the rod, make sure you grab the right bit too. I mistakenly chucked a 5/8” forstner when it should have been a 1/2". Yep, I was pretty happy when I went to check the fit of the top rail on the rod.
          Erik

Comment

• Nil
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2007

Looks great! Though I've got to say, I'm even more interested in your use of BT3x00 rails for a workbench / router table... Did you use T-nuts to connect the rails to the top? And did you attach the workbench legs to the top or to the rails? Does the table have a BT3x00 rail on the back too? Do you have the depth (from front to back) of the top such that you can use a BT3x00 fence?

I've shied away from making a router table for a long time because I wanted to be able to have a fence that would be parallel to the table without careful measurement (and clamps) every time I adjusted the fence. I've got an extra pair of rails from an old BT3000 that may have a purpose now...

Thanks!

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by Nil

I've shied away from making a router table for a long time because I wanted to be able to have a fence that would be parallel to the table without careful measurement (and clamps) every time I adjusted the fence.
              I am not sure if there is another reason that you want a router fence parallel to the table but for nearly all operations I can think of this isnt necessary. As long as the distance or relationship between the bit and the fence is set correctly for what you want to do the angular relationship to the table is irrelevant.

For many basic tasks a solid piece of 3/4" MDF (sealed & coated) properly supported with the router mounted underneath along with a straight piece of HW for a fence is all you need. Once you get a feel for the types of routing jobs you want to do you can build up from here and make a table as elaborate as you wish. Even then a fence parallel to the table isnt needed.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by poolhound
                I am not sure if there is another reason that you want a router fence parallel to the table but for nearly all operations I can think of this isnt necessary. As long as the distance or relationship between the bit and the fence is set correctly for what you want to do the angular relationship to the table is irrelevant.
                The only operation I can think of would involve something like an end-grain-cutting sled that indexes against the edge of the table -- in which case you'd use the sled itself as a "gauge" to set the two ends of the fence.

Otherwise, Jon is correct: since a router bit spins in a horizontal plane, it has no "parallel" relationship to the table whatsoever. The table edges don't even have to be straight or square to each other.
                Larry

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Nil
                  Looks great! Though I've got to say, I'm even more interested in your use of BT3x00 rails for a workbench / router table... Did you use T-nuts to connect the rails to the top? And did you attach the workbench legs to the top or to the rails? Does the table have a BT3x00 rail on the back too? Do you have the depth (from front to back) of the top such that you can use a BT3x00 fence?
                  Most all of the hardware used is part of the BT-Wide Table Leg Kit. I used two leg kits. The only thing extra is the wood stretchers on the bottom of the legs. The legs attach to the bottom of the rails with T-nuts. The 3/4" MDF top fastend to the inside face of the rails with L brackets. The brackets screw to the underside of the top. I cut the MDF the same depth as my table depth.

I can use my saw fence on it. When I put the brackets on the top I left myself some room at the ends to be able to slide the top over and put an accessory table on the rails.

The bench was really used as an extension table for my 21829. I only had one leg kit at first, then I ran across a really good deal on a second. That's when I turned it into a light duty bench, and so I didn't have to tear it down all the time. I don't use it as an extension that often anymore since I put a set of half rails on my saw. Every once in a while I'll need to bolt in on though.

The guys are correct on the fence being square to the table. It's not totally necassary, but nice when using a sled like larry pointed out. If I do make it into a router table I would really be doing it so I could have a bigger top and fence. My new fence would run parallel to the rails, but I would have the option of using my existing fence that attaches to a BT fence too.
                  Erik

Comment

• Belg
                    Handtools only
                    • Nov 2012

Pelligrini, could I ask if you attached the rod to the tabletop in any way or does the top just turn around the rod? Been thinking and planning one of these for way too long and need to pull the trigger and just BUILD ONE. Thanks Pat

Comment

• emnesto
                      Handtools only
                      • Jan 2013
                      • Bentonville, AR
                      • Bosch 4100

Plans Up to Date?

I just downloaded your PDF file with plans and cut list, and just wanted to see if it is up to date. Please let me know if any changes or improvements.

The DW735X now comes with infeed and outfeed tables. I believe they fold up, but right now I'm not sure how high the total height will be. I may need to modify some verticle dimensions to accomodate.

I intend on mounting the DW735 on one side, and a router table on the other.

This is a great project. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• All Thumbs
                        Established Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • Penn Hills, PA
                        • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by emnesto
                        But a router table really requires use of both sides. The router hangs down below the table, the fence and your stock are on top of the table. So unless you have a third side, there is no place for the planer?

Comment

• Carpenter96
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2011
                          • Barrie ON Canada
                          • BT 3000

Planer

Great job I have been thinking of something like this. I have seen a Craftsman rotating table that will let you mount 3 machines. Regards Bob

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Thanks for resurrecting this post. This is on my shop to-do list this year.

Comment

• pelligrini
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • Fort Worth, TX
                              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by emnesto
                              I just downloaded your PDF file with plans and cut list, and just wanted to see if it is up to date. Please let me know if any changes or improvements.

The DW735X now comes with infeed and outfeed tables. I believe they fold up, but right now I'm not sure how high the total height will be. I may need to modify some verticle dimensions to accomodate.

This is a great project. Thanks for your help.
                              There might be some minor discrepancies between the plans and actual execution. I know I did a couple things different than my original drawings, but I think I updated my files before I put them up. It's been at least 4 1/2 years since I did it. Guinness and sleep has fogged it up a bit.
                              (*edit Yep- Check post 19 for a disclaimer)

And to answer Belg's question (sorry I missed it earlier). The rod isn't attached at all, although my clearances were really tight. I waxed the holes in the uprights before I finished the assembly.

I have to remove the rear outfeed table for each use, as it doesn't fold up close like the front table. The cord storage gets in the way. That would be the only complaint I have about the DW735, and the fact that the tables aren't included.

A router table might be a tight fit, depending on the depth of your router. The surface area might be limited due to the clearances needed when pivoting. I use the top side of mine for an extra assembly table, and I put some benchtop tools on it like my POS 9" bandsaw or my Dremel scrollsaw.

It's still working great, residing under my bench. I only wish it was lower, so I could use traditional holdfasts, but I wouldn't want the planer much lower though. It's about the right height without stooping to feed wood in or out. If I need to use some longer holdfasts I'll wheel the planer cart out. My LV hold down with a short post doesn't have clearance problems, I just need to pick up another.

The two 1/4" hitch pins have worked out really well. No problems at all. I keep the rear outfeed underneath in the lower drawer opening. My dogs, stops, and hold downs lay on the top portion of the lower area within reach of my workbench.

Maybe I'll get that drawer built for the bottom this year...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by pelligrini; 01-29-2013, 12:10 PM.
                              Erik

Comment

• atgcpaul
                                Veteran Member
                                • Aug 2003
                                • Maryland
                                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Is the 1/2" steel bar captured between the sides or is there a way to remove the bar (and top) without disassembling the sides?

Comment

Working...