Thread: Removing Silicone Lubricant

Removing Silicone Lubricant

Can anyone tell me how to safely remove silicone spray lubricant from rubber, metal, plastic, etc.?

I had my treadmill serviced, and the guy sprayed a lot of silicone lube on the deck beneath the belt in an effort to fix a squeak. The deck is impregnated with some long-lasting lubricant and does not require silicone. In fact, the belt slips on the drive roller now, and it is very annoying.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Andrew

I would first try plain rubbing alcohol (isopropyl). If that doesn't work, lacquer thinner should do the trick. Careful, though, lacquer thinner could melt some plastics.

when we used silicone oil on O-rings for optical connectors, contamination of the optics was a problem. We could reliably clean the silicone oil with Freon-based solvents but those have been made illegal to use for ozone-depletion reasons. We had to resort to alcohol but that was much poorer in disolving the oil and had to be repeated a few times.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    PM me (with your e-mail address) for a copy of the BT3 FAQ current vers 4.13

You mean freon tp-35 is illegal That means that I have to deny having any And avoid using it to clean the things that can't be reliably cleaned with anything else

Nah!!

I'll just keep the stash I don't have hidden from casual view

Suppliers to Paint and Body shops have a product that removes oil, wax, grease and silicone from surfaces. When I was an RM Paint jobber, the product was called Pre-Kleano. It was made from a blend of solvents. In a pinch, mineral spirits might work. You have to keep changing the paper towels to prevent reinfecting what you are working on.
    Bob Tuttle

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    You mean freon tp-35 is illegal That means that I have to deny having any And avoid using it to clean the things that can't be reliably cleaned with anything else

Nah!!

I'll just keep the stash I don't have hidden from casual view
    Don't forget to not use the stash you don't have....

g.
    "Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Thread Information