Where's a good place to buy plastic laminate?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Where's a good place to buy plastic laminate?

I've checked the big box stores but all they seem to have are the stone or wood designs. Where's a good place to buy solid colored laminates for a decent price? Should I be checking my local cabinet shops? Anyone have any luck with OSH?

I did find a retailer online, wilsonart or something like that but with the $25 shipping chart a single sheet of 4'X8' laminate works out to be about $100. Kind of a rip off if you ask me considering the big box stores sell em or a little over $40 a sheet. Now only if they had solid colors.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Look in your local "Yellow Pages" for headings like "Plastics-Sheets-Rods-Tubes", or in the "Plastics" area any headings like "High Pressure Laminates". Or try "Cabinetmakers Supply".

Some of the names you could Google for manufacturers are "Micarta" "Pionite", "Wilson Art", "Nevamar", "Formica", and "Laminart". These are the ones I can think of at this hour. Once you get their site, search the site for something like "find a retailer", or "find a distributor near you". You may have to input your zip code or city. Or maybe they could be listed in the "White Pages".

Or, if all else fails, call a local cabinet shop and ask real nicely where to buy the products. Maybe they will offer to order it for you for a small surcharge (might be a lot less than shipping charges). Then you just pick it up there. I've done that for call-ins many times. It's good PR for the shop. Tell 'em your're friends of mine.

Comment

• jobole
      Forum Newbie
      • Apr 2006

Lowes will order.

Just happen to also need some solid color laminate (red) which I found very hard to locate. Ended up at my local Lowes which had a huge keychain full of every imaginable color and texture option from Wilsonart and Formica. Went with the Formica brand as it was quite a bit less for my color. The 4' x 8'
      sheet was $55 and a 2.5' x 8' was $33. They were more than helpful and delivery is 7-10 days.

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I should add that when ordering laminate, it is available in two basic thicknesses. The 1/32", sometimes called V32, is basically for vertical applications, and low impact use. The 1/16" material is used primarily for countertops, and areas of high use or impact. The two thickness can be in the same colors and patterns for matching.

Comment

Working...