• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Seized lawnmower engine

Hope you're all having a better Mother's Day than I am. All was well until my 16 year old ran the mower without checking the oil....it ran for a while, then squeaked, then seized. The motor won't turn now. It's a Honda HR215 self propelled walk behind with a 5.5hp motor...it's prolly 6-8 years old and was running pretty darn well prior to seizing.

Anyone think it's worth fixing? What's involved?
    Last edited by Knottscott; 11-29-2008, 07:13 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by Dustmight
    Wow, those are nice mowers (my parents have one). Was checking the oil a regular requirement? They don't normally require this more than once a season.

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

Is it a Briggs and Straton?

My BIL had a brand new walk behind with a Briggs and Straton he ran twice, then checked the air filter and didn't get it put back on right. Dusted the engine. I tore it apart and the crankcase was filled gray goo. The cylinder was scored on the inside ("gallded" is what we say in my industry.) On a small engine it's not worth trying to hone the block.

I would say more than likely yours is in the same shape, but if you're handy and like fooling with mechanical stuff, it's fun to tear these little engines apart. You probably won't lose anything but some time.
      - Chris.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by docrowan
        Is it a Briggs and Straton?

Honda lawnmowers are of course equipped with Honda motors.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by cgallery
          Wow, those are nice mowers (my parents have one). Was checking the oil a regular requirement? They don't normally require this more than once a season.
          My 3 boys all use it and have been taught to check the oil. The 12 year old says he checks everytime and I believe him b/c I've seen him do it. The 16 year old typically checks but forgot today. When I checked the dip stick, I could see how it could leave the impression there was oil on the stick even there the well was dry, so I'm guessing they've been checking and not seeing that it was low. I've been planning to give it the spring tuneup, which includes an oil change, but had not gotten to it yet...I share the blame on this one...

...it's probably not worth replacing the shortblock.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

It seems apparent that something was amiss, prior to this session with the lawnmower. Otherwise, where did the oil go? Unless you have been having some noticeable leakage or other problems, I wouldn't be too hard on the lad, as normally a weekly oil check, though wise, shouldn't be necessary.

Any chance that you drain the oil every fall and this was the first run of the spring?

I've had incredible good fortune with Briggs and Stratton engines, and I would certainly think that your Honda would be remarkably better than that. (I bought a $30 B&S back in 1968 and it ran for 27 years, with very few oil changes and only one spark plug change. Engine still worked when I junked it because of a rusted pan.)

You could check with your local mower service to see what an engine overhaul would cost, but I'm guessing a new mower would not be a heck of a lot more.

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

Not 100% sure thats the right one, but its a good example for pricing.

Comment

• JSCOOK
                • Sep 2006
                • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                • Ryobi BT3100-1

From my experience with rebuilding small engines ... if your 4 stroke had been running that long with little or no oil at all, the engine will be trashed and not work having it rebuilt given your description of the failure ... although I haven't worked on any Honda's.

I'd be inclined to take it apart and at least examine it to see what the extent of the damage is before tossing it though ... you may just get lucky ... I had someone's 4 stroke apart several years ago that had just been started up and instantly seized ... tore it down and it turned out a mouse built a nest in the air intake housing and the nesting material was sucked into the engine and compressed it as hard as a hockey puck ... was luck with very minor damage ...

Given it's age, you might get lucky and fine a used or refurbed one on Ebay or somewhere else ... I've seen quite a fewl Honda small engines for sale in the local paper ...
                "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Thom2
                  Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Stevens, PA, USA.
                  • Craftsman 22124

This is gonna sound ridiculous, but I HAVE had it happen .... let the engine cool, add oil and try to start it. Just by dumb luck you may find out that it'll run again.

I had an 11hp Briggs lock up tight one time (so tight the electric start wouldn't even budge it). I parked the tractor and then one night for giggles I hit the key and it tried to start, I then added oil and ran it at least another season like that.

Dunno how well it'll run or even at all, but it might be worth a shot.
                  If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                  **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• parnelli
                    • Aug 2004
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by Dustmight
                    Hope you're all having a better Mother's Day than I am. All was well until my 16 year old ran the mower without checking the oil....it ran for a while, then squeaked, then seized. The motor won't turn now. It's a Honda HR215 self propelled walk behind with a 5.5hp motor...it's prolly 6-8 years old and was running pretty darn well prior to seizing.

I definitely vote for fixing it. At 6-8 years old, it's nicer than the new BORG Honda's. You'd have to go to the dealer to get a similar unit. For a ton less, you could a)get the engine fixed or b)drop in a new engine.

Comment

• Thalermade
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ohio
                      • BT 3000

Before taking it to a service place, remove the sparkplug and squirt in either WD40 or some lightweight 3M oil. Pull the cord several times to try to lubricate. This worked (20 years ago) to get my brothers Craftsman pushmower going again. The mower worked for many years after.

Comment

• JamesDad
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2006

I have had this work for me: Remove the spark plug. Then take the cover with the pull start assembly off the engine. Put a small amount of machine oil in through the spark plug opening and work it around the top of the piston. If you take a ratchet and turn the large nut on top of the flywheel you have a fair chance of freeing the piston. You shouldn't have to use much force at all to turn it (clockwise) but you may have to use a little back & forth motion. If much force is required then the rings and/or cylinder are too far gone to avoid an overhaul. If you free up the piston and can get it started you may want to have the compression checked. Don't forget to have the plug removed whe you're
                        turning the flywheel.

Comment

• Cheeky
                          • Nov 2006
                          • westchester cty, new york
                          • Ridgid TS2400LS

another vote for granting your son impunity.

my dad has a 10+ year old John Deere commercial walk-behind (actually silver), and i've had to fix something every season where i say, "this is probably it's last leg" and it just keeps motoring......mightily. probably one of the best mowers made, much like your honda commercial.

last season, he leant it to a beautiful gal, and she trashed the deck (aluminum). i layered fiber glass, and formed it back, and it is now strong as ever.

i checked, and the updated model with a kawasaki engine is over a grand now. moral of the story, try to fix it with all means, within a reasonable budget, because they do make them like they used to, only 8 times more expensive.
                          Pete

Comment

• DustyandLefty
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Mar 2006
                            • Almost West Virginia
                            • BT3000 w/ side and rear tables on wheels, BT3100 portable spare, old Delta contractor's

I second the idea of seeing if this is an easy fix. Fill the crankcase with oil.

Since the engine squeeled and then seized, there is hope. If there had been a loud knocking noise instead it might be worse (a noise like the piston coming apart.)

Take it slow - take out the plug and squirt in some PB blaster and let it soak in. Tomorrow, try pulling on the starter rope. Squirt in some more PB blaster (less evaporative than WD40). Pull on the starter rope. The day after tomorrow, squirt in some more PB blaster. Pull on the starter rope...

After a few days, then take off the cover over the flywheel and try turning the engine over with your big breaker bar and socket. It should turn with some effort, finally. When it does, add more lubrication through the spark plug hole. Keep working at it until it spins freely.

Then replace the spark plug, gas it up, and see if it starts. If it does start, it will smoke for awhile as the penetrating oil burns off. If it is keeps on smoking or seizes up again, then you can think about a new mower. Otherwise you'll be in good shape.

I had this same problem with a seized Honda pressure washer I bought at an auction last year (cheap! It was either going to be a good buy for $35, or an expensive boat anchor for a boat I don't own), and got it running last Thanksgiving.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
                            Dusty and Lefty and Oily

Comment

• Knottscott
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2004
                              • Rochester, NY.
                              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks for the suggestions to let it cool and lube it to see if I can get it to budge. We do have an older Lawnboy that's still functioning, so we're not SOL while the lawn grows at a spring pace. The Honda is definitely worth some time and effort to see if we can resurrect it.

I'll let you know how I make out, but I doubt it'll be today...coming from a father of 6 busy kids...we've got one of the busiest weeks I can remember ahead of us already! (how did this happen?! )

Comment

Working...