• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Fibonacci Guage

The November 2006 issue of Wood Magazine had plans for what they called a Fibonacci Gauge. This gauge aids you in applying the Golden Mean to a Golden Rectangle.

I can understand why they would name this gauge in honor of Fibonacci and his wonderful number, much of which comports with phi. But, the Golden mean was around long before Fibonacci took a look.

I took the Wood plan and increased it by 150% on the copy machine. I made it out of some 1/8" brass I had on hand. The Wood plan called for 1/16" wood for the arms. Everything is attached with 1/4" binder screws.

Steve
    Last edited by scmhogg; 04-09-2007, 03:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • L. D. Jeffries
    • Dec 2005
    • Russell, NY, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Very nice looking work! When i get thru some currant projects I am going to make one myself as I design and make a lot of small trinket/jewlery/junk boxes and this would be a great help in deciding on dimensions. What guage brass did you use, it looks like it would not be too flexible which would be a problem.
    RuffSawn
    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• Hoakie
      Established Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Iowa
      • Craftsman 21829

Wow! you DO learn something new everyday.

Thanks
      John
      John
      To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

Steve, That is amazing. If you decide to make some to sell please let me know before the other hoodlums on the forum get them! ;-D
        Ken

Comment

• Jaden
          Established Member
          • Feb 2006
          • Trenton, MI
          • BT3100

Hoodlum Ken, I take great exception to that remark I would definitly not classify anyone on this site as a hoodlum...........now hooligan, there are plenty of hooligans......and maybe a few near-do-wells, but I don't don't believe there are any hoodlums.

Just trying to set the record straight.

Oh yeah, nice guage Steve...

There "other" Steve
          "I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Comment

• John Hunter
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • Lake Station, IN, USA.
            • BT3000 & BT3100

Very nice.
            John Hunter

Comment

• scmhogg
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
              • BT3000

LD--The brass bar stock was 1/8" thick. For non-ferrous metals, I think that it is close to 8 gauge. It is very inflexible. It's still scary to cut thick brass sandwiched between plywood on the table saw.

John--If you like the Golden Ratio. . . Look up Fibonacci's number. Look for plots or spirals. Could be the key to the universe.

Thank you for your kind comments. But why didn't someone tell me I was misspelling gauge???? Then everyone copied my misspelling.

Steve

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by scmhogg
                ...Thank you for your kind comments. But why didn't someone tell me I was misspelling gauge???? Then everyone copied my misspelling.

Steve

Golden ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaNot to be confused with golden mean (philosophy), the felicitous middle between two extremes, nor with golden numbers, an indicator of years in astronomy ...

Steve,
                If you want correcting, there are a couple of "mistakes" in your post -
                The number 1.61803399... is not the golden mean but the golden ratio.
                Fibonacci has a series, an infinate succession of numbers related by mathematical operations, not just one specific number, named after him, The Fibonacci Series. It has also been called the Fibonacci Sequence or Fibonacci Numbers, all referring to the series. "Fibonacci Number" is not the name for the golden ratio. The golden ratio has also been called the number Phi by some but I don't think that's universal and certainly does not have anywhere near the mathematical significance of Pi (3.14159...), which they were trying to emulate.

On the other hand, I like your gauge, looks nifty and very functional. And the golden ratio has certainly got pleasing proportions to it, no doubt, thus enamoring itself to those who do artistic work.

hope you don't take offense...
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• scmhogg
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                  • BT3000

Loring,

I never take offense when someone aims to teach. I am a late-comer to an interest in math beyond algebra. After I discovered my attraction to golden ratio rectangles. Bought a copy of Mario Livio's book, The Golden Ratio [The Story of Phi, the world's most astonishing number]. Much of it was way over my head, but, it did introduce me to Fibonacci's Sequence. From there, I was introduced to Mandelbrot's Fractals. Now I am drowning.

I used Golden Mean, as that was the term, albeit incorrect, that was used in the Wood Magazine article. I did know that Fibonacci created a sequence, I was just trying to be cool with an offhand mention of his number. [0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55,89,144,233,377. . . .] The interesting connection between the Golden Ratio and Fibonacci's Sequence, is that from the 13/21 pair on, the ratio between the numbers is very close to the Golden Ratio.

21/13 = 1.615385
                  34/21 = 1.619048
                  55/34 = 1.617647
                  89/55 = 1.618182
                  144/89 = 1.617978 . . .

Steve

Comment

• mater
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • SC, USA.

That is neat. Excellent work.
                    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• lrogers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mobile, AL. USA.
                      • BT3000

Very interesting. As someone else said, you learn something new every day. Nice job on turning that plan into a nice shop fixture.
                      Last edited by lrogers; 04-11-2007, 07:18 AM.
                      Larry R. Rogers
                      The Samurai Wood Butcher
                      http://splash54.multiply.com
                      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• LarryG
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2004
                        • Off The Back
                        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

But why didn't someone tell me I was misspelling gauge????
                        We were all still working out the pronunciation of "Fibonacci."

Beautifully crafted, Steve, as usual.
                        Larry

Comment

• gsmittle
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                          • BT 3100

Originally posted by Jaden
                          Hoodlum Ken, I take great exception to that remark I would definitly not classify anyone on this site as a hoodlum...........now hooligan, there are plenty of hooligans......and maybe a few near-do-wells, but I don't don't believe there are any hoodlums.

Just trying to set the record straight.

Oh yeah, nice guage Steve...

There "other" Steve
                          I'm reasonably sure we have at least one rapscallion here, too.

+1 on the nice gauge.

Looks like I'm gonna have to learn this "Golden Mean" stuff, though it sounds suspiciously like mmmath....

g.
                          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                          Bill & Ted

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

21/13 = 1.615385
                            34/21 = 1.619048
                            55/34 = 1.617647
                            89/55 = 1.618182
                            144/89 = 1.617978 . . .

Steve
                            I saw those numbers, and all I could think about were my Bosch routers, maybe that is why I like them so well.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Steve

Great gauge - you did a nice job. I first was aware of the "Golden Ratio" when I began doing plans for commercial work. An architect friend of mine helped me a lot in doing drawings and he had a template that worked like a pantograph. I have a wood pantograph that I can set to the ratio, but I haven't seen one like his since.

Doing proportional drawing after many years, what amazes me is at times how close I can get by eye to the ratio. Then, at other times the ratio layout just doesn't look right. Go figure.

Comment

Working...