• Show
Clear All
  • vtv010
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006
    • Dallas, Tx
    • bt3100-1

Newbie Question about Avenger 8" dado stack

I am aware that FAQ recommend to use 6" dado stack.
    Nevertheless, yesterday i stumbeled on Avenger 8x42T stack dado set, item 10026 at some $12. I installed the set into my BT3100-1, no spacers were required, the right blade did not hit the motor housing, the left blade was half way on the thread, all chippers in the middle. Left blade appears to be the same "position" as with the 10" OEM blade. Everything seems to be in order, except the shims are not on arbor. aside from not being able to make dados ~1/8" in wider, am i missing anything or one uses the shims only for width adjustment?
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

The shims are used "as needed" to fine tune the width of the dado. I have that set myself and am happy with the quality of the cut. Setting the thickness can be a bit tricky as the blades and shims don't seem to add up but that isn't to hard to deal with.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

I agree with maxparot in all counts. It's a worthy investment to pick up one of those digital calipers that are also on sale right now. With those, and some test cuts, you can get exactly the widths that you need with that dado set. I have the 6" avenger stack, and I'm hopeful to get some shop time this week to finish up a little chart that I was making to help get people started.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• vtv010
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006
        • Dallas, Tx
        • bt3100-1

Thanks!
        I assume std bt100 dado throat plate would not work with 8in stack. What are my options?

Comment

• maxparot
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

The std dado throat plate works fine within it's limits. If your stack isn't to wide for the plate and you don't raise the hight far enough to hit the plate then all is good. If you need a wider cut consider 2 passes and if you need a deeper cut then you may need to condsider a custom throat plate option. Maybe modding a std plate.
          Opinions are like gas;
          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Originally posted by vtv010
            Thanks!
            I assume std bt100 dado throat plate would not work with 8in stack. What are my options?
            No, it works fine. You're constrained by how deep your dado can be, but it's not a practical limitation. You can probably get and inch or two of depth.

Alternatively, you can make or buy a blank throat plate and cut it for your dado stack. This makes a zero clearance throat plate for dados. Just lower the stack into the saw, install the throat plate, and raise the stack slowly.

Caution: Make sure the stack is below the throat plate before turning on the saw!!! You'll mess up the belts otherwise.

JR
            JR

Comment

Working...