• Show
Clear All
  • Tundra_Man
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

quote:Originally posted by mehranh

So, in my opinion and experience, it's not the fault of the machine is the fault of the operator.
    So true. A skilled craftsman can do more with tools of a limited capability than a newbie could with Norm Abrams workshop.

Take a look at Stevie Ray Vaughan's guitar or those that Eddie Van Halen used to cut his first five albums. The guitars were in terrible condition, but they could play better than I ever could even if I had a $30000 DeAngelico.

If you look at what a Shopsmith was designed to do: provide 5 basic woodshop tools in the space the size of a bicycle, it does that very well. Are they the best tools of those type available? Certainly not. Can a skilled craftsman produce fine quality work with one? Absolutely.

If one were looking to obtain a Shopsmith, though, it does make sense to look for one used. It would appear that through their in-store demonstrations they hook a lot of impulse buyers that later decide they are no longer interested in the tool, and the drop resale value could mean significant savings.
    Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

In the mid 60s I was a Hardware Dept manager for Monkey Wards. At that time we were a Shopsmith dealer and I gave many Saturday demos.
      In my opinion the Shopsmith does many things but none of them well.

It's a compromise and if you have room for only one tool it's better than nothing.

Dick
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...