• BT3000 vintage 1999

fence Clamp Comparison

Fence Clamp comparison

Rockler
    #17821 Pair, $14.99 sale, $17.99 reg

Peachtree
    #3317 1-1/2" - 2-1/2" Universal Fence Clamp $9.99
    #3316 3" - 4-1/2" Universal Fence Clamp $10.99
    Peachtree Woodworking Supply is your one stop supply shop for all your woodworking needs.

Description of a fence clamp From Rockler:
    “These compact, lightweight Fence Clamps allow you to secure a huge variety of shop-made auxiliary fences to your existing fences without having the clamp interfere with your work. The clamp arm simply fits into a 3/8" hole in the top of the auxiliary fence, keeping it out of the way. That means no more clunky wood screws and C-clamps and no need to screw into your expensive fence! Works great for table saws, band saws, cutoff saws, router fences and more. Clamps can be used singly as stop blocks, or in pairs for sacrificial fences, half-fences, resaw fences, and a variety of other fixtures. One set of clamps will do it all! Includes 2 clamps.”

So I happen to have both of these.
    The Peachtree ones are only $10 and Rockler ones are $15 on frequent sale.
    They both do the same job, they both fit 3/8” holes for holding fences and stop blocks – they have the feature that they hold the items from holes in the top and pull them against the face of the fence whereas c-clamps or other conventional clamps would extend past the surface of the fence and make them sometimes inconvenient to use.

So I can say that they both do the job. Is the Rockler worth the additional money?

A more detailed comparison shows the Rockler has a more substantial body – made of machined blue anodized aluminum, while the Peachtree is made from a bent steel 3/8” rod with two bends to make the corner. The Rockler has only one bend but the body is threaded to accept a 3/8” threaded rod that has another bend. This allows the clamp width to be extended to an opening twice as large as the original unextended size and twice as large as the Peachtree.

Furthermore the Rockler uses 3/8” threaded rods and a metal foot for the screw clamp – the Peachtree uses a much shorter Ό-20 threaded rod with a plastic foot for the screw clamp. The Peachtree clamp screw is too short to close onto a BT3xxx fence using a Ύ” fence – you have to use a spacer block. Whereas the Rockler will close all the way. The Rockler foot being larger also helps set onto the right side of the BT Fence which has some unevenness due to the T-slot in it.

I had to put wider and longer foot extenders on my Peachtree clamps to span the BT3000 fence (the fence is too narrow for the clamp to close completely) and span the T-slot (the foot was smaller than the span of the T-slot so it would not sit flat.

Interestingly the rod for the Peachtree is exactly 3/8” but the rod (that enters the fence) on the Rockler is 21/64”. There’s really no difference, they both hold the fence equally well. The Peachtree although smaller, is steel and very stiff, shows no visble evidence of flexing or bending when tightened to a usable grip. The Rockler, too, was completely stout.

Pros:
    Rockler –
     heavier duty clamp, knob, and body
     More flexible in usage
     wide clamping range total – twice the span of the Peachtree
     wide clamping range of the screw clamp
     Usable fence width range: ½” to 5-3/4”
     Thicker clamp screw and larger metal foot

Peachtree-
     Inexpensive
     Simpler (one less moving part)
     Does the job
     Usable fence width range: 1-3/4” to 3”
     Larger model 3” to 4-1/2” range available for $1 more

My conclusions –
    They both do their job. Which is a helpful thing, to me. Holding auxiliary fences and stop blocks without getting in the way.

the Rockler is better, for sure. Both can be made to work OK for the purpose except the Peachtree will be limited in the width of the fence it can span. If its maximum width is adequate and you can put blocks under it for smaller widths and you need to save every buck, the Peachtree will do the job OK. For BT3xxx owners, note that the Peachtree clamp minimum width won’t close on a BT3xxx rip fence using a Ύ” fence face attachment, without some help.

For maximum flexibility and overall user satisfaction a pair of Rocklers fence clamps is probably well worth the extra $5 to 7 bucks more.

P.S. these things work very well on bandsaw fences, drill press fences, and router table fences as well! I have several sets now. Also they work great for holding jigs to the bench where you can't have the clamp protrude above the piece being clamped.

Loring
    2/21/10
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-20-2014, 10:57 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
Working...