• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Need input

Folks now that the submission deadline has passed we need your input on how to award prizes. Please vote in the poll.
    Only prizes for division top entry
    13.33%
    Both top division entry and an overall winner
    26.67%
    Only overall winer
    6.67%
    Toss divisions and choose first, second, third, fourth.
    53.33%

The poll is expired.

Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

There are at least 4 entries in the Open Division, and then one each in the other divisions. It doesn't seem fair to have divisions with no competition whatsoever, and one division with competition. My vote is to just lump them all together and judge / vote on them from there...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

That's what I thought as well.
      5 prizes, 4 divisions, 7 submissions
      Erik

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

I am not trying to be the joker here but both of you are entrants in the open division. I am inclined to agree with you. I will have other thoughts a bit later on. I am very interested in being fair to all entrants and I want all to agree on the decision. For example Dick entered the type of work he does and for that type of work it is awesome. Shep also did a great job. However my entry is quite lacking, in fairness I was hoping not to win anything.

©

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I'm honestly not figuring on winning anything. Wasn't my intention... (I would have spent a LOT more time on it if it was!)

Just seems silly to only have competition in one division...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

With only 7 total entries, and only one division having competition, I agree that the noncontested entrants should not automatically receive prizes. The problem with judging all 7 as one category is members being able to judge each projects on its own merits, and not against the others.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• cork58
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Wasilla, AK, USA.
              • BT3000

Well I entered just to help out, knowing that I was going to be working a regular job for at least 6 weeks. Knowing now what I didn't know then it is only fair to do a 1, 2, and maybe a 3.
              Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

i think rather than 1,2,3,4th place
                we should have four prizes

BT3 Grand Prize
                BT3 Runner up
                Best/Most complete use of 2x6
                Most original/unusual work

and I haven't glanced but at a couple of them so far so i ave no preconceived notions.
                I suggest each voter select favorites in three categories - they can be the same or different.

1. a project to name for Grand Prize. ( There will be 2 prizes - a GP and the runner up will be the second most vote getting project in this category)
                2. a project for Best/most complete use of 2x6 (the winner will be the top in this category project that did not one one of the 2 above prizes.)
                3. a project for most original/unusual (the winner will be the top one in this category not winning one of the three above prizes.)

criteria besides the ones listed in the category, will be
                following the rules
                craftsmanship
                design
                finishing
                and whatever else the voter wants to add, in whatever weighting the voter wants to apply.

I think that will give fair and broad chances to all who entered. On my thinking I would say that the GP is the best but that the remaining three prizes are roughly the same but different so to speak.
                Vote for your own if you truly think its the best in the category.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-02-2011, 11:45 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Wow Loring, guess I should have left this up to you! JK. Part of my issue is that we have pledges for five total prizes. One of which could likely be divided up, so your plan works here. Early on it was mentioned that we needed at least several divisions so that folks would be comparing apples to apples so to speak. I am actually quite shocked by the low numbers of both paid entries and project submissions. I tend to think folks put out good efforts to be competitive, yes even myself. I am saddened by the low numbers considering the value of the prizes donated. I wish folks would give us feedback so that we can understand where we could have gained more entries as well as submissions.

I'm also wondering how we could with our software use a poll to tally the votes with a structure like you suggest. I do see merit in it. Hindsight we should have perhaps finalized the rules a while ago. Maybe four separate polls, GP first, once that is decided go to runner up, then after that your other two.......
                  Last edited by Black wallnut; 05-03-2011, 01:19 AM.

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

stages could be fine instead of voting all at once. Prize five, random draw among remaining three entries, JUST FOR ENTERING would give all a chance to win.

I think I did not enter mostly because of time; I wish I would have. I guess one reason I work on wood projects is so I have something I don't have any pressure for (unlike work - deadlines, you know) - it gives me a chance to be open ended.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                      • One of them there Toy saws

If I recall correctly, last time we had two categories. Turned and Flat. So everyone was lumped in a bit more than this time.

I like Loring's method of granting the prizes.

I entered but wasn't able to finish my project due to too much life going on. Lillian has me running all over three counties doing errands on the weekends and that doesn't leave a lot of shop time (part of the reason I started doing pens, but wanted to try to do some flat work for this). Also, took me too long to come up with a plan. :|

But I'm taking home the same prize I got last time, so all's good.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

I tend to like Loring's suggestion quite a bit.

And I also agree with a lot, life has been interesting as of late.

I am not at all surprised that folks haven't been able to put much time in, spring is when everyone seems to be catching up on exterior home projects, or gardening before the heat of summer hits...

Or at least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

And yeah, pics are coming soon... I have the pen / pencil set / Ipod holder that I have to complete soon... Graduation is coming up FAST, and I want to get these out to my niece as soon as possible... And there are LOTS of local nieces and nephews I need to start building gift / projects for... I need to get better at these construction grade pine projects, or get richer so I can afford better lumber!

Comment

• master53yoda
                          Established Member
                          • Oct 2008
                          • Spokane Washington
                          • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I did the same as cork58 as I'm in the middle of a big project on my motor home and the shop is now mechanic and welding dirty instead of wood dirty and they don't go together, But i really like Loring's idea. I have a project in mind if I can get to it intime.
                          Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• Whaler
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Sequim, WA, USA.
                            • DW746

I think that it is a shame that there so few entries. It was a fun contest and the project didn't have to take any more time than you had available, mine was completed in one afternoon.
                            That said, I think Loring's idea is the best way to go.
                            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Formalized 2011 2x6 Contest Voting Rule (proposal)

Since there were a lot of "likes" for my idea, let me formalize it then:

There are Five prizes:
                              There are 7 or more entries.

First round:
                              All registered BT3 members may vote once for Grand Prize by selecting among all entered projects they think is most worthy.
                              Allow one week for voting using the BT3Central Vbulletin poll mechanism
                              Winner with the most votes will be declared Grand Prize winner.
                              Runner up will be the project with the second most votes.
                              In the event of a tie a 3-day poll will be taken to decide between the tied entrants for GP and Runner Up.
                              The GP winner will have his choice of prize.
                              Then the runner up will have his choice of prize from the remaining items.

Second round (can start as soon as the Round one winners are identified):
                              All registered BT3 members may vote among all entered projects, except the first round winners, for the Best/Most Complete Use of a 2x6.
                              Allow one week for voting using the BT3Central Vbulletin poll mechanism.
                              In the event of a tie there will be a 3-day poll taken to decide the winner among the tied entries.
                              Winner will have his choice from the remaining prizes.

Third Round (can start as soon as the round 2 winner is identified):
                              All registered BT3 members may vote among the entered projects, except previous First and second round winners, for the Most Original/Unusual Project.
                              Allow one week for voting using the BT3Central Vbulletin poll mechanism.
                              In the event of a tie there will be a 3-day poll taken to decide the winner among the tied entries.
                              Winner will have his choice from the remaining prizes.

After the completion of the third round there will be one prize left.
                              This may be awarded to one of the remaining three or more projects that did not win in the first three rounds, as a prize for effort. The contest admin will draw at random all the remaining projects, assigning them 1, 2, 3, etc. in the order of draw. The project 1 owner shall have first chance at the remaining prize, should he not want it, it may go to the 2 and then the 3 project owner or succeeding projects in that order. In the event the last prize is not claimed, then there will be a sub-contest, with 7 days for entries for "Why I did Not Enter the Contest" and a subsequent 7-day poll to award the prize to the most lame excuse for "why I did not enter the contest" submitted.

Vbulletin Polling:
                              Should be set so that poll locks after 7 days for prime voting and 3 days for tie-break.
                              Should be set so that voter may vote for only one.
                              Should be set so that voting is anonymous.
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-03-2011, 10:12 PM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...