• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Construction Methods & Materials

I was planning on doing my entire project with just hand tools. I found that ripping a 2x6 accurately with my ryoba handsaw isn't working too well. I need the practice, but I think I'm going to waste too many 2x6's before I get it right. I'm pretty good at doing uneven angled rips. I don't know how well the mortices in this soft pine will chop yet either.

I wanted to use SYP, but the HD and Lowes by me don't carry 2x6s in SYP. It's mostly all fir. I can get 2x8s and larger is SYP. The larger boards are a lot more clear than the 2x6s I sorted through a few weeks ago.

Would ripping a 2x8 or 2x12 down to 5 1/2" be allowed? I don't think it should, but I sure would like to use SYP.
    Erik
  • Shep
    • Nov 2008
    • Columbus, OH
    • Hitachi C10FL

I think ripping a 2x8 down would be allowed. Same amount of wood be used. I say go for it. Or, just don't tell use you ripped it down.
    -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I kind of think it's cheating, unless I round the darn corners off like a regualr 2x6 would have.
      Erik

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Do any lumber yards carry SYP in the nominal size called for?
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I haven't called around or checked. Not sure how they would like me sorting through their construction grade 2x6s looking for a good one though. Especially only to buy a couple.
          Erik

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

I think it is a "in the spirit of the rules" sort of call. If a 2x6 is available in you area as std &btr in SYP then I do not see an issue in buying a 2x8,10 or whatever and trimming it to 2x6 nominal demension with rounded corners first. However I'd really like that call to be left up to the voting membership with honest full disclosure by entrants. We should IMHO be only judging concept and execution not materials choice.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

My opinion is that we should stick with a 2 x 6. I don't like the idea of being able to cut down a larger board to a smaller size.

The challenge is making something decent out of a rough piece of common lumber.

The more exceptions that start to creep in, the less enthused I become about the challenge.

Keep it simple.
              Brian

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

I do agree. I think part of the challenge is dealing with the imperfections of the construction grade lumber. While I would like to rip down a SYP 2x12 like I did on my bench build, I don't think it's proper for the challenge.
                Erik

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

FWIW, both Home Depot and Lowes around me carry SYP 2x6x8 construction grade. I know a day late and a dollar short, but it's what I had on hand. Mine had actually twisted a bit , and was fatter on BOTH ends, so it was cupped both top and bottom. Jointer and planer to the rescue!
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...