• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaywood
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Lexington, KY, USA.

Non-turned: End Table

This end table measures 20” x 20” and 22” in height. The legs have “Barley twists” on the top half and are fluted on the lower portion. The table top is made of approximately 80 strips that are 3/32” x ˝" x 19 ˝”. The candlesticks are hollow spirals on 2” bases. The stretchers are ˝” square and utilize mortis and tennon joinery. There are no mechanical fasteners used on the project… entirely done with mortis and tennon joinery and glue. The stained portion is Minwax Polyshades with a couple of coats of semi-gloss poly applied over the entire project.

Happy to have all 9 1/2 fingers!
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

How did you do the legs and candlesticks? I wouldn't know how to even begin...

Nice Work!

-Tim

Comment

• jaywood
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Lexington, KY, USA.

Hey Tim -

Its embarrassingly simple with the right tool. A couple of years ago I purchased a Legacy Ornamental Mill. It is one of the COOLEST woodworking tools a person could ever own. Here is a link to the site where you can view for yourself all the stuff you can do with it. http://www.legacywoodworking.com/index.cfm

The machine is GREAT... unfortunately, I haven't spent nearly enough time using it. I've barely even scratched the surface of what can be done with it. But its a lot of fun to use!

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Cool stuff. Which model do you have?

This seems to really blur the line between "turning" and "non-turning"...

-Tim

Comment

• jaywood
          Established Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Lexington, KY, USA.

Yes... VERY much blurs the line!

The model I've got (1500) is no longer listed on their site... but it is closest to the 1800 model. It has a 92" capacity. Fortunately, when I bought the 1500 several years ago it wasn't NEARLY as expensive as 1800 is. In fact it didn't even cost as much as the 1200 they have listed.

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

It looks like you could make a decent one of those out of a 2x6. I may have to design some plans for a shop made milling machine.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

Working...