• Show
Clear All
  • Scottydont
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Edmonds, WA, USA.
    • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Non-turned: Faux Cherry Curio Cabinet

I had a designed a small curio cabinet for my wife and I had planned to make it out of cherry. When this contest was announced, I thought it would be a great opportunity to see what I could do with lesser grade lumber as a prototype. Let me tell ya, my wife loves it so much she doesn't want one made from cherry, this one is better than she imagined.

Living in the Pacific Northwest you would think we would have some pretty good construction lumber. Wrong! Choices around here are usually Hemlock or Douglass Fir and not very good quality. I chose hemlock. I delayed on starting on my project until I found a worthy 2X6 at Lowes.

The final dimension is 19"x14"x4". I resawed the pieces for the back and sides running them through my planer to smooth them out and achieve final thickness. The top was also cut on the band saw. To reduce the weight of the top, I cut it into three segments making a portion of it hollow much like you would a band saw box and re-glued the three pieces before sanding to it's final shape. The based is notched on the bottom creating a "foot" on either edge. The bottom and top are dado'd to accept the sides and back. I have a 4 step finish on it. 1st sanding sealer, then a very red Minwax water based stain, next a Minwax dark brown stain and last three coats of Deft Lacquer. The final result is a very exotic and deep finish.

I hope you like it!

Last edited by Scottydont; 01-05-2008, 12:14 PM.
    Scott
    "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!
  • kai
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2004

I see no pic.

Comment

Working...