• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Turned: Victorian style end table

Victorian style end table. 17” tall and 11” wide with the depth of the top being 1-1/4”. The table consists of 7 turned pieces and 8 flat wood pieces. The main joinery is Mortise and Tenon on the legs and risers. The top it attached with 1/8” dowels that I turned out of the same pine 2X6.

The top is deep with a depth of 1-1/4”.

This is a better picture.

I used Minwax Polyshades as a finish. I sealed it and then sprayed 6 coats of the Poly Bombay Mahogany stain.
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

A Big thanks to everyone. On this project I think I spent more time in the design and calculations then I did in building it. It was a lot of fun and quite a challenge. It was also very cool to see what everyone else came up with. Very ingenious people we have here. I know as I showed everyone at work all the projects everyone made in almost all cases I heard “That’s out of a 2X6!” I think everyone that entered and posted showed great skill and craftsmanship.

I thought while I was making this project some people would like to see how I got to the end results so I recorded what I did and created a Web Page. I held up releasing this page so it would not potentially influence anyone. I also did not respond to the kind posts that people made when I first posted my project for the same reasons.

The table itself is going to a 10 year old little girl whose mom is a dear friend of mine. She is a princess and her mom is trying to decorate her room in the Victorian style and that is hard for her to do being a single parent so I hope this table will help a bit in her quest.

So if you are interested in how my table was made;

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Beautiful work, Ken.

And a fascinating trip on the construction. As well as everything else, I admire your patience.
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• mahfuz
        Established Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Tyler, TX, USA.
        • BT3000

Awesome! I enjoyed reading through your description in your webpage. Thanks for the wonderful desription. I had a difficult time imagining a 2X6 becoming the end product.
        I am glad I got to see your work.
        Mahfuz in Tyler, TX

Comment

• Thalermade
          • Dec 2002
          • Ohio
          • BT 3000

quote:Originally posted by kwgeorge

edited The table itself is going to a 10 year old little girl whose mom is a dear friend of mine. She is a princess and her mom is trying to decorate her room in the Victorian style and that is hard for her to do being a single parent so I hope this table will help a bit in her quest.

So if you are interested in how my table was made;
          Great work George.
          I think your thoughtfulness and giving may be a bigger victory than this BT3 challenge!

Once again great work, thanks for taking the time to document your work, and sharing with everyone.

Russ

Comment

• jhart
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

All I can say is WOW!!! Really liked the trip to your website to see how you did it. Thanks
            Joe
            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• jaywood
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Lexington, KY, USA.

Hey Kenneth -

Congratulations on winning... you deserved it. Your project was REALLY incredible! I thoroughly enjoyed getting to see your step-by-step guide as to how you went about making it. MAN... that was a LOT of work!!! Thanks so much for sharing that with all of us.

Quite honestly... had I not wanted to win myself... I would have voted for your project along with the others. I was quite humbled and thankful to those who voted for my project.

To everyone who entered... congratulations!!! I was totally blown away with the creativity and skill that was displayed in the competition.

Thanks to Sam and all the sponsors of the competition... you went WAY above and beyond, once again!

And thanks to everyone who voted for my project... I appreciated the votes and the kind comments.

Again... congratulations on a job EXCEEDINGLY well done!
              John (jaywood)
              Happy to have all 9 1/2 fingers!

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Clemson, SC, USA
                • Rigid TS3650

Congratulations Ken and thanks for the pictorial diary - fascinating. Shows me what I have to aspire to. Well done!!!
                Ken Weaver
                Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hey Ken, that was really a fine project and great historical document of how it was done.
                  Would have been neat to see you thought processes in the design, you said you spent a lot of time on it and it shows.
                  Congratulations on winning and that sure is a lucky girl that gets it!

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• monte
                    Forum Windbag
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                    • GI 50-185M

Beautiful work Ken. I really enjoyed your website to see how you built this.
                    Monte (another darksider)
                    Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• kwgeorge
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Alvin, TX, USA.

Again, thanks for all your nice comments on this. I am very glad you enjoyed my ramblings on how my little table came to be. I am still kind of in shock that I won! You guys have made me very happy, thanks.

Rod, well then we are even on one count because I am a long time admirer of your shop and your work! As you can see from my pictures I am shop cleaning challenged. (Politically correct way to say I am messy?)

John, I thought the SAME thing about your table! When I first looked at it I thought “My God all those little slats!” I was kind of hoping you would post some construction details as I would like to know how you joined everything.

Loring, I don’t know if you want to enter that area, kind of a strange place to be!
                      A quick overview, I decided to make and end table and I knew I wanted Victorian style because I wanted to turn a lot of it. As I said in my write up this was the first time I got to make a piece using both the lathe and flat wood. I searched the internet for pictures of Victorian end tables until I found one that looked like what I wanted. I then used that picture as a foundation and began to design and alter. I use Corel Draw as my program of choice. I created a page layout to the dimensions I thought the end results should be and then started drawing the table to scale. I like to work in scale so I can see when something does not look right. From that drawing was able to retrieve my measured part templates. I pretty much use this method for all my furniture work.

This table was the most detailed project I have tackled yet. It was also probably a greater task than my skill level. I have found from turning that I will never learn and progress unless I make things that I perceive to be harder than my skill level will allow. I have also learned patience. I decided awhile back that this was my hobby, my entertainment and my relaxation so what’s my hurry? Most of my mistakes have always come from rushing things and impatience so now if I start rushing something or get tired I just stop and come back to it later and you know what? It is always there waiting for me!

Comment

Working...