• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Getting a Grizzly G0462 for Christmas

Well, LOML said to get the lathe for Christmas. Delivery will be Tuesday, 20th. Getting kinda of excited except LOML said I couldn't play with it until Christmas!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • havighurst
    Established Member
    • Jun 2004
    • Metamora, MI, USA.

You must have been good this year . Enjoy the new lathe!
    \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

OK
      Click image for larger version

Name:	g0462-de0e654d849d95172d53aa0a9794c396.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	828588Click image for larger version

Name:	g0462_det3-a91d53ebf1484f17133d094337a39910.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	828589
      Y Click image for larger version

Name:	g0462-de0e654d849d95172d53aa0a9794c396.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	828586G0462 speed
      Always nice to see what it looks like!
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Nice looking machine! You will enjoy it. After Christmas maybe you can get some sleep because I see it's keeping everyone awake, 1:38'am and 3:15am. My only question...... why did they mount the speed indicator on top of the machine? Is it so important that you have to have it there in harms way?

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
          Nice looking machine! You will enjoy it. After Christmas maybe you can get some sleep because I see it's keeping everyone awake, 1:38'am and 3:15am. My only question...... why did they mount the speed indicator on top of the machine? Is it so important that you have to have it there in harms way?
          Speed indicator: It is an add on item IMO. I would rather have it on the end about level with the "Grizzly" logo. I have to mount it when putting it together, and will see if I can do that. I had thought of that before. Its good to know that I am not crazy in being the only one that notices little things like that. I looked at it real close and unless I want to re-wire it, the wire in not long enough.
          Last edited by leehljp; 12-19-2016, 12:58 AM.
          Hank Lee

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Originally posted by leehljp

Speed indicator: It is an add on item IMO. I would rather have it on the end about level with the "Grizzly" logo. I have to mount it when putting it together, and will see if I can do that. I had thought of that before. Its good to know that I am not crazy in being the only one that notices little things like that. I looked at it real close and unless I want to re-wire it, the wire in not long enough.
            Congrats on the new lathe Hank!

I agree. The problem is that it wasn't planned into the headstock assembly and there isnt enough room to work with after the fact due to all the spinning parts in a very confined area. I had to deal with this same issue when i added the tachometer to my HF34706.
            http://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/dis...or-my-hf-lathe

They likely don't mount it on the end so as to not interfere with using a knockout bar through the spindle or in case you want to add a handwheel there.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Tach readout looks a little bit of an obvious afterthought. I didn't look but I'll bet there's a model without readout. They just updated to a model with readout by bolting the readout housing on top. The color doesn't even match.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Bolt the tac to the wall behind the lathe!
                In my younger "mariner" days I had the boat dealer install a fish finder/graph machine. When I went to pick it up they asked how I liked it, my reply was "how the ##%%# am I suppose to drive the *€£€€£! thing, I can't even see the front of the boat because there is a fish finder blocking my view! They had mounted it dead center of the steering wheel. Some folks don't think of these things.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  Tach readout looks a little bit of an obvious afterthought. I didn't look but I'll bet there's a model without readout. They just updated to a model with readout by bolting the readout housing on top. The color doesn't even match.
                  Model without readout: Not for a large lathe. HF has a similar model with the same basic "transmission" belt drive, similar size and without the readout, but the motor on the HF is quite small. I looked it over last week while in HF. I was not impressed.

I am finding among both pen turners and bowl / spindle turners, there is regular talk of lathe speed. I was looking at bowl chuck plates yesterday and the max RPM was stamped on it. Not paying attention to the max AND minimum RPM can be devastating. I don't see future lathes without the digital readouts, especially since they are not that expensive.

$7.00 to $10.00 added to a lathe as a digital readout will probably outsell the same model by a factor to 10 to 1 without the readout and $10.00 less.
                  Last edited by leehljp; 12-20-2016, 11:11 AM.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I concur, digital readout is a must have, I use to have to get out the strobe light to set the speed on my metal milling machine. My objection is to not mount the tac on the top of the machine like a vase of flowers, after all it is only occasionally used. It could be mounted inside a drawer or something out of the way.

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Got it today! Before Christmas. Can't open it till Christmas. LOML's orders! I won't be able to set it up until about Wednesday of next week though.

Sunday - 3 daughters, 2 son-in-laws, 10 grand kids will be here. I will leave Monday at 7 AM with middle daughter, one son-in-law (husband of youngest daughter) and twin grandsons (age 13) of oldest daughter to go to Dallas (Arlington) to MNF Cowboys game. Only REAL Cowboys fans get tickets in my family. Get back Tuesday evening.

Set up lathe on Wednesday!

ONE NOTE: The web site manual says it comes in 2 packages, cardboard, but it came in a single plywood crate. 1/2 in with 6 or 7 ply. I can re-use that!
                      Last edited by leehljp; 12-20-2016, 08:04 PM.
                      Hank Lee

Comment

• havighurst
                        Established Member
                        • Jun 2004
                        • Metamora, MI, USA.

At least you will have some time to plan your first project. I hope you are planning to give us a review of your new lathe.
                        \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp
                          Got it today! Before Christmas. Can't open it till Christmas. LOML's orders! I won't be able to set it up until about Wednesday of next week though.

ONE NOTE: The web site manual says it comes in 2 packages, cardboard, but it came in a single plywood crate. 1/2 in with 6 or 7 ply. I can re-use that!
                          Can't reuse it on the lathe, haha.

Better get crackin'

Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...