• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Adding Digital ReadOut to a lathe

I am considering a lathe for Christmas. Unfortunately all of my expected funds are going, or gone (10 grandkids, 3 daughters, 2 son in laws, LOML and me). My lathe of choice is the Grizzly G0462 with the digital readout / tach on it. However, I will not be able to get to Springfield MO before February or March. Currently there is a sale of the 0462 for $495 plus shipping for another $100. $600 total. (ouch at the moment) If I go to Springfield, I will have to take my old HF trailer to get it. I don't like to tow unless I absolutely have to. (An unexpected request this year has been a son in law, daughter and twin grandsons <and me> for tickets [nose bleed section] to the Cowboys Monday night football game after Christmas Day - OUCH!) So, if I want a larger lathe, it will have to be a HF lathe.

I really would like to turn some 12 to 15 inch bowls and I have had some wood/log sections for a good while. I also looked at the HF lathe 34706. I guess the one item I would like to have on the HF lathe is a read out tachometer, which costs $8 to $15 on ebay. HF usually offers a 25% off coupon for New Years day. That would bring the HF lathe to $240.00 plus tax. (Affordable)

QUESTION: Has anyone added an LED digital read out to their lathe?
    IS it accurate?
    IS it easy to calibrate?
    Which one do you use?
    Does it help you in turning?
    Where do you mount the sensor?

Ebay LED Tachs:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...meter&_sacat=0

Thanks
    Last edited by leehljp; 11-23-2016, 06:42 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Hi Hank. A short time ago, I posted about adding a digital tachometer to my HF 34706, here: http://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/dis...or-my-hf-lathe

Uses a hall effect sensor, no callibration, fairly accurate, and for me it is just good information to supplement my experience (by ear) of RPMs for turning.

However, if you plan to turn anything larger than 13ish inches, I'd give the Grizzly stronger consideration, for the following reasons:
    1. The 34706 struggles to maintain speed with its 3/4hp motor during bowl turning, you have to take it slow and have a lot of patience. Otherwise, you can overheat the motor.
    2. The G0462 has 16" swing over the bed (34706 is 12") and outboard, and boasts a 2hp motor, and 46" spindle capacity (34706 only has a little over 33").
    3. The G0462 has the tachometer built in, so you won't have to bother with adding one.

If I didn't have the 34706, I'd probably have picked that one up. Now, I'm saving my pennies for the G0766.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
      Hi Hank. A short time ago, I posted about adding a digital tachometer to my HF 34706, here: http://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/dis...or-my-hf-lathe

Uses a hall effect sensor, no callibration, fairly accurate, and for me it is just good information to supplement my experience (by ear) of RPMs for turning.

However, if you plan to turn anything larger than 13ish inches, I'd give the Grizzly stronger consideration, for the following reasons:
      1. The 34706 struggles to maintain speed with its 3/4hp motor during bowl turning, you have to take it slow and have a lot of patience. Otherwise, you can overheat the motor.
      2. The G0462 has 16" swing over the bed (34706 is 12") and outboard, and boasts a 2hp motor, and 46" spindle capacity (34706 only has a little over 33").
      3. The G0462 has the tachometer built in, so you won't have to bother with adding one.

If I didn't have the 34706, I'd probably have picked that one up. Now, I'm saving my pennies for the G0766.
      I don't know how I missed that. Thanks. Just what I needed. I would like the Grizzly but I know it is a 4 to 6 month project at this point.

Thanks for the link and information. I may have to wait and see.

I was at HF this afternoon to pick up some small items, the HF will be on sale this weekend for $279 for ITC (HF members) and they will take a 20% coupon on top of that for $223. By the time I am able to buy the Grizzly, it will return to its $600. price.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Hank, cash not withstanding I would agree with Bill. having recently lucked into the big jet 1642 I can't tell you what a delight it is to use with the extra power and mass. I have yet to try a large bowl but have no doubt it will handle it with ease .
        That Grizzly lathe has 2hp a 16 inch swing and cast iron legs similar to the jet. I think you may have buyers remorse if you settle for the HF. every time you use it you will be thinking about the Grizzly . 

Not wishing to add to your angst but if you can manage the nearly 300 fir the HF, can't you possibly squeeze the extra on to a cc to get the grizz.

I know we have all had situations where we buy something of less quality or function than we would prefer and regret it further down the line. maybe we can help you raise some cash,do you have any items laying around the shop you don't need or use . let us know and maybe we can contribute to the Hank Lathe Fund.

Happy thanksgiving . 
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

You fellows have about talked me into waiting, but I don't know if I can stand to wait 6 months. Guess I will have to do it though.

I most certainly plan on turning some 5" to 6" thick items up to 16 inches diameter. Thanks for bringing me to my senses!
          Hank Lee

Comment

Working...