• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Small Padauk Platter

So this is a turned, finished product. A friend of mine who moved cross-country gave me some 8/4 padauk, part of which became this platter. I also did a video on the project, on YouTube. I managed to keep this one down to about 13 minutes (video time, that is!)

Thanks for viewing!
    Bill in Buena Park
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Nice platter! Your dust collector seems to handle the dust fairly well. What is the final finish you used? Friction something.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Thanks Cap! The DC does an okay job of collecting the shavings if I direct them in that direction, but there is still enough that doesn't get picked up that I have to vacuum a good bit. There was also quite a bit in the air filtration unit which meant some fines in the air but that's why I have the air filtration unit.

The friction polish is homemade, made from equal parts boiled linseed oil, denatured alcohol, and shellac. I will try using a different product for my next project which is a commercial friction polish.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Is the friction polish activated by the heat friction?
        While turning the legs for my last table I noticed my dust collector was not as effective as usual for pulling dust. When I checked the chip can I found it was overflowing and must have filled the Wynn filter full of chips.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Hi Bill, I'm pretty new to turning so I've got some questions.

--You drilled a hole on the concave side for your chuck but didn't cut in a slope to match your jaws--dovetail shape. Is that not necessary because you used the tail stock?
          --Around 3:50 you used a forstner bit to drill a recess in the bottom of the platter and then put your tail stock in. Why did you do that? (To define the platter thickness?) And why didn't you drill both sides at the DP?
          --Is it typical to completely finish one side of the platter like you did while you still have the other side to still rough out and finish? I guess you can't easily hold the bowl on the lathe once both sides are to final shape, right? I'd probably rush to finish the platter and then realize that after the fact.

Nice platter and thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Originally posted by capncarl
            Is the friction polish activated by the heat friction?
            Cap, as I understand it, the DNA makes the shellac thin to apply evenly, the BLO provides lubrication so your towel doesn't stick (and some grain accent), and the heat dries the shellac quickly. But you doin't want too much heat, or you re-melt the shellac, and it gets clumpy (and may shred your towel) and you have to remove it and start again. BTDT.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Thanks Paul, and great questions - my process:

Originally posted by atgcpaul
              --You drilled a hole on the concave side for your chuck but didn't cut in a slope to match your jaws--dovetail shape. Is that not necessary because you used the tail stock?
              I have the Barracuda and "economy" chucks from PSI. These have the straight, serrated jaws, not the dovetail, so a straight sided mortise is preferrable, so you get more contact (a dovetail mortise would only contact the chuck along its outer edge, and doesn't provide sufficient hold and distribution of the jaw pressure.) I use the tailstock as an added safety measure, until it gets in the way.

--Around 3:50 you used a forstner bit to drill a recess in the bottom of the platter and then put your tail stock in. Why did you do that? (To define the platter thickness?) And why didn't you drill both sides at the DP?
              I could have cut the recess with tools instead of the forstner, but the forstner is quick and the exact size of my chuck jaws, although it takes a little more cleanup due to the divot formed by the point. This recess was in what would become the foot of the platter, and I leave the foot (some turners turn the foot away at the end, but I like them.) The mortise in the foot lets me reverse mount the piece for "hollowing" the inside of the platter. Some turners use a tenon (mostly on wet blanks), but I have seen and had tenon failures due the stresses placed on the wood fibers. I have had significantly fewer mortise failures (but I tend to leave a thicker foot for this reason.

As for why drilling at the lathe vs. drill press - the first mortise at the DP (in the face of the workpiece) sets the center of your turning. It would be very difficult to drill a mortise on the foot side on the DP and have it be exactly centered to the mortise on the face, which will cause eccentricity in the workpiece when you reverse-mount to hollow. But drilling on the lathe leaves a hole centered to the workpiece.

--Is it typical to completely finish one side of the platter like you did while you still have the other side to still rough out and finish? I guess you can't easily hold the bowl on the lathe once both sides are to final shape, right? I'd probably rush to finish the platter and then realize that after the fact.
              This is typical of how I turn seasoned blanks, since I don't typically "re-reverse" after hollowing to remove the foot. Easy to finish the bottom before hollowing. However, there are several methods of remounting to work the bottom; I use Cole Jaws made for my chuck, these: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CJAWFJ2.html ; and for larger bowls, adding these: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CRJA.html . However, you can also friction mount between a faceplate and "soft touch" live center, or use a vacuum chuck.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Bill, thanks for the excellent explanation. It's clear to me now.

Comment

• havighurst
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2004
                  • Metamora, MI, USA.

Beautiful platter. I have gotten away from turning (pens), but after watching your excellent video I want to go turn something. I am also envious of who neat and organized your shop is. Thanks for the video!!
                  \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Watching that makes me want to get to turning. But I am in the process of changing my shop up. Between back doctor, Disaster Relief efforts in So. Louisiana, and a long delayed project for our church, I am chomping at the bits for some work.

Thanks for posting that!
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                      • Grizzly G1023SL

Lovely work Bill!
                      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                      Bade Millsap
                      Bulverde, Texas
                      => Bade's Personal Web Log
                      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

Nice work Bill on the video and the platter.
                        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                        techzibits.com

Comment

• skevincampbell
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Aug 2015
                          • Orlando, FL
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Very nice, Bill. How do you like that lathe?

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Buena Park, CA
                            • CM 21829

Thanks all.

Kevin, I've turned a ton of projects from handles to 13 inch bowls on this lathe over the last three years and have come to know it's strengths and weaknesses. I like and enjoy this lathe within its limits and would buy it again for what I do. Not to say I'd turn down an American Beauty but I'm in no rush to upgrade - but I may have gotten one of the good ones. And I can't beat the price or all the economy add ons I've gotten from PSI.
                            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• skevincampbell
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Aug 2015
                              • Orlando, FL
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Bill, thanks for the comments.

Comment

Working...