X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrizzlyBagworks
    Handtools only
    • Apr 2014

I just tried to purchase the required parts from Grizzly but wasn't able to because the "Upper" and "Lower" clutch assemblies aren't available. The website says "We are sorry, that that is an invalid part number." for those two parts. Hopefully it's just an internal glitch.

Thanks for taking the risk on the upgrade and letting us know it can be done!

Comment

• Zenaca
      Established Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Idaho

I think you will find that the clutch parts are HARBOUR fREIGHT , if i read correctly.

Bud

Comment

• GrizzlyBagworks
        Handtools only
        • Apr 2014

The parts are from Grizzly. The guy who did the upgrade did it on his harbor freight saw.

Here's the parts breakdown:

P0555LX140 - CLUTCH SUPPORT BRACKET ($8.50)
        P0555LX135 - UPPER CLUTCH ($3.50)
        P0555LX214 - LOWER CLUTCH ($4.50)

P0555LX134 - PLASTIC HANDLE 3/8-16 ($1.00)
        P0555LX133 - STUD-UDE 3/8-16 X 10 1, 3/4 ($1.50)
        P0555LX033 - TENSION BOLT 3/8-16 X 11-5/8 ($7.00)

Merchandise: $26.00
        Shipping: $9.95
        Subtotal: $35.95

The upper and lower clutch part numbers aren't showing up on the grizzly website. Curious to find out if they're still going to be available, and if so, if the price will be going up....

Comment

• theophile
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by dbhost
          Just a thought, but I bet that would look a lot better / look like it is supposed to be there if you could color match, or maybe matte black that green bracket. As it sits it looks like it came from a different saw. Just a cosmetic issue, but I think it would go a long ways appearance wise!

Also, I think the washers are supposed to go between the bolt heads and the bracket, not between the bracket and the upper arm of the saw... Look at the photo of the Grizzly carefully...
          Yes, I had the same thought about the color match. I'm planning on getting Lowe's to mix me up a quart of color-matched paint to use on this, and on the riser block I'll inevitably get (also from Grizzly, most likely).

About the washers, I've been planning to write up a how-to for this mod, but in the meantime, I'll point out that those washers between the bracket and the frame are necessary as spacers. I don't know if the Grizzly posts are a tad longer, or if its sliding bracket is a tad shorter, but on both of my HF saws, when the blade is fully tensioned, the sliding bracket extends about 1/16" to 1/8" above the top of the posts. Of course, this is no problem at all with the stock tensioner mechanism, but if the Grizzly bracket is installed flush against the tops of the posts, then as you turn the knob to tension the blade, eventually the top of the sliding bracket contacts the bottom of the clutch bracket and from that point on, you can keep turning the knob and compressing the spring, but the sliding bracket will move no further and the blade will get no additional tension.

So the washers get the clutch bracket up off the posts just enough to give the sliding bracket the headroom it needs to get the blade nice and tight.

Another way to address this problem might be to cut a slots in the underside of the clutch bracket (after tapping the mounting holes in the posts and confirming the final mounting location) and grinding off some of the area that causes the obstruction, but I opted for the easy option. ;-)

Originally posted by GrizzlyBagworks
          I just tried to purchase the required parts from Grizzly but wasn't able to because the "Upper" and "Lower" clutch assemblies aren't available. The website says "We are sorry, that that is an invalid part number." for those two parts. Hopefully it's just an internal glitch.

Thanks for taking the risk on the upgrade and letting us know it can be done!
          I just double checked the parts list on the Grizzly website and it is saying that the upper and lower clutch parts "no longer available," which is not what it said when I placed my order. However, I called Grizzly at 570-546-9663 and the rep said that these two part numbers are not discontinued, they're just currently out of stock. He said they can be ordered by phone and it will take 6-8 weeks for delivery.

I'm going to order another set and do this mod on my other Harbor Freight saw. (Incidentally, I'm also going to order a set of new Grizzly trunnions to replace the broken ones on the same HF saw. I love the level of interchangeability for these parts!)

Comment

• theophile
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2014

Oh, one more thing (even though it looks like it'll be at least 6-8 weeks before anyone else can attempt this): The picture shows two sets of nuts sandwiching a lock washer; one above the clutch bracket and one below it. The upper one is absolutely necessary for the operation of the mechanism, but the lower one is not. I only installed it because the Grizzly schematic shows it there. I think its purpose is to serve as a "stop" for a maximum tension value, but it isn't necessary. In my case, I found that it created some minor interference and prevented the tension from releasing consistently when throwing the clutch to the left. Though the mechanism was detensioned, the sliding bracket would not always go down as far as it could, or would need a little jiggling to "let go." I finally just took those nuts and the lock washer off and it's behaved just fine since then.

Comment

• CDobson
              Handtools only
              • Feb 2016
              • Northeast Texas
              • Delta 36-725

Has anyone done anything further on these mods listed above? I have a HF 14" that I'm considering keeping and modifying. Just seems that the thread came to this point and died.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by CDobson
                Has anyone done anything further on these mods listed above? I have a HF 14" that I'm considering keeping and modifying. Just seems that the thread came to this point and died.
                Welcome to Sawdustzone.org! Many of our threads have drifted down the list and no longer get replies. Such is the life of nearly every forum I've ever been a part of. If you have a harbor Freight 14" bandsaw that otherwise works good then making the detailed upgrade will be worthwhile over the long haul. Lots of folks went the other direction and just bought a Grizzly saw first. I did and can tell you that after years of use the Griz blade tension quick release is a great feature. If I did not have it I doubt I would release tension on my bands between uses. I'm not sure what that would do to the life of them and the tires.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Theopile, if your Lowes is like all I've ever been in, the paint they mix up will be latex. Not a good coating for machine parts. You may have to find the correct paint at a real auto parts store.
                  capncarl

Comment

• Stan
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                    • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by dbhost
                    You were dead on right, stan was WRONG, well maybe not when he posted, and in all fairness, the grizzly rep I talked to goofed too... What a PITA...

Oh well, now to Ace Hardware to grab the misc fasteners...
                    wow!
                    From the NW corner of Montana.
                    http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

FYI, the parts listed at Grizzly above are in stock. (Its been two years since that picture was posted.) This quick release was not on my 555 when I bought it in 2012. Looks like a good upgrade to me. And I can pick it up at Grizzly when I visit my daughter again.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

Seems there are changes from the design and parts list that Pat, Stan, and Thom2 used back in '05. My G0555 quick tension looks nothing like the ones posted above.
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Stan
                          • Mar 2004
                          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
                          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Wouldn't you know they would change things up to make it interesting.
                          From the NW corner of Montana.
                          http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

Working...