• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

A Death In The Shop Today...

My faithful tool triggered ShopVac died today exactly five days shy of its 19th birthday. Fortunately, My son had given me a birthday gift card for Lowes, so old faithful was replaced without too much filth building up in the shop.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

It is always sad when we loose a close companion, especially one that has stayed the course for almost two decades working on your behalf.

My understanding and sadness for your loss!

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I am fortunate if I can remember the year or decade that some of my tools were purchased!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I’ve also lost several of my old friends, Craftsman vacs. Sadly I did not give them a proper burial, instead I kept the hose and attachments for their replacement, cut off the cord just in case I might need it and used the drum for a garbage can. I also save the filter because I have already have 4-5 identical filters and like having spares. I’ve been satisfied with ever Craftsman shop vac I’ve owned and since I already have a good supply of filters that is what I will replace my old friend with.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Capncarl,

So what you are saying is that your old friends are sort of into "organ transplants"? I think that just keeps their memories and purpose in life around for a lot longer.

Seriously though, I'm not into throwing stuff away that can be in one way or another re-purposed, cannibalized, or whatever. I really don't loose a lot of tools to failure and really about the only tools that come to mind is two old Sears shop vacs. They were "green" in color, so I know they're not Craftsman. Both have long ago failed, but the hoses and attachments are still used on occasion, and the containers now act as trash barrels, mobile ones at that.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

This is a good a place as any to comment that the Teflon-coated HEPA filters from Shop-vac are really worth it. About a $30 upgrade I think.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

My “old friends” definitely become organ donors! I do wish that the mfg’s would get their act together, just a little bit. I have 3 old vac drums that I use for garbage cans, and not a single one of them are the same size, even though they were the same gallon size. That means that none of the top motor units would interchange. That doesn’t sound like much but one of my workbenches has a cut out that was designed for one “old friend” that has since past and been replaced twice, and none of its replacements will fit in the hole! That would not normally be much of a problem but this workbench is 12 gauge stainless steel and I don’t want to take the time to cut the metal and finish the edges. Maybe after this “old friend” passes I will be a little more particular when picking out a shop vac...... if Craftsman is still making shop vacs!

Not advertising for Craftsman, but I do get a lot of use out of their “red stripe” vac filter. I change my vac filters pretty often and don’t let them get to the point where they hardly work, If the filter is extremely dirty I wash it off with the water hose and let dry in the sun.. They get like a wet sack but bounce back into shape when dry, I have several filters that are probably 5 years old and have been washed dozens of times.
              capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Someone Gotta say it...

ohhh, that sucks.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

I still have a Montgomery Wards wet dry shop vac with a metal drum from the mid 70's.
                  Its still working and I use it mostly for a tool triggered vac on the drill press and the band saw where it sits between them.
                  IT also serves as the wet vac when I need to suck up a mess.
                  Like when the pop-up pulsating sprinkler heads would fill up with mud and bury the heads inside the underground housing. Use a spray nozzle to liquefy the mud and the MW vac with a long skinny nozzle and suck all that mud out of it.

Dang, its older than this one. Didn't even have a rolling base.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-06-2018, 02:05 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Jim Frye
                    My faithful tool triggered ShopVac died today exactly five days shy of its 19th birthday. Fortunately, My son had given me a birthday gift card for Lowes, so old faithful was replaced without too much filth building up in the shop.
                    Jim, Your BT3 must be what, 24-25 years old now? Isn't it a 1993 vintage?
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Jim Frye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Maumee, OH, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN

Jim, Your BT3 must be what, 24-25 years old now? Isn't it a 1993 vintage?
                      Yep, purchased the saw in February 1993 at the former Home Base store for $500 as a birthday present from SWMBO. Other than the two belts I burned through stalling the blade on a new zero clearance throat plate, not a single thing has broken or worn out in all that time. The Ryobi supplied BT3100 sits unused for parts, if needed. I was going to build a Frankensaw, but never had the room. I do use the rip fence from the BT3100 with the shop built router fence permanently mounted.
                      Jim Frye
                      The Nut in the Cellar.
                      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Jim Frye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Maumee, OH, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        Someone Gotta say it...

ohhh, that sucks.
                        Hee Hee We have a vacuum cleaner shop in town and that is the basis for their TV ads. They claim their products really suck.

Jim Frye
                        The Nut in the Cellar.
                        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...