• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Unusual uses for shop tools

I subscribe to a couple of email sites concerning unusual uses or creations around the shop. This one is good and I do use a few of them and have for quite a while:

20 Unusual Uses for Shop Tools: All shop tools were designed with a specific purpose, the table saw for cutting, the Shop-Vac for cleaning up. No matter what the tool is used for, whether it be cutting, shaping, grinding, or marking, every tool may have undiscovered abilities. The…

I thought it might be helpful for some.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

The title brought back memories of a short lived tv series that I think was called power tool racing. The gist was competitors modified circular saws, belt sanders, blenders, you name it and drag raced them down a wooden trough. Kinda funny but they run out of subject quite quickly. The show didn’t last long.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

This is the one that intrigued me the most:

Lathe Drum Sander: A stationary drum sander is a helpful tool for smoothing and producing wood of uniform thickness; it can flatten wood from thin strips to larger panels. When flattening brittle wood or end grain, a planer simply will not work. A drum sander is a les…
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Thanks Hank,

A few of these I knew, but there were several that were pretty neat, the drum sander build on the lathe, perhaps the best, as you mention. I recall my local Sears selling disc sander arbor mounts for years (table saw) and certainly drums for drill press sanders are fairly wide offerings... though they put too much side pressure on the drill press, in my opinion.

I have a book, "De Cristoforo's Complete Book of Power Tools (Copyright 1972 by R. J. De Cristoforo; Popular Science Publishing) that has many different jigs for the use of several different power tools, such as using the drill press for a vertical lathe. Each chapter is for a different tool, like the table saw, RAS, etc. and most all have a few jig applications. It doesn't have that wide drum sander tough!

In any case, it's interesting how many applications a person's imagination can come up with when challenged.

Thanks for the post,

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• DK.Alice
          Handtools only
          • Feb 2018

Thank you very much, Hank Lee. Some tools are better used by me and I am able to draw a circle time to time with a compass. It is usually the simplest and most accurate option.

Comment

Working...