X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BryanJiral
    Handtools only
    • Oct 2017

Chicago Electric Saw Problems

I have had a CE 10" chop saw for about 3 years. It was working fine, then it wasn't. I inspected the brushes and they look almost brand new. Any advice on what else to look at? Does anyone know of a breaker or fuse I could be missing?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

probably the switch.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Yep, probably the switch. For a quick test you could jump over the switch (straight wire it ) and momentarily plug it in to see if it works. If that’s it, I’ve heard you can get replacement parts through Harbor Freight with some luck.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've had zero luck getting replacement parts from HF, even if you have the number from their manuals.
        Usually goes somethign like this
        Call the 800 parts /customer service number
        Tell them the item number
        Tell them the part number from the itemized list in the manual
        They ask if its under warrantyl
        I say no
        THey say sorry, its not available.
        THen I hang up.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          I've had zero luck getting replacement parts from HF, even if you have the number from their manuals.
          Usually goes somethign like this
          Call the 800 parts /customer service number
          Tell them the item number
          Tell them the part number from the itemized list in the manual
          They ask if its under warrantyl
          I say no
          THey say sorry, its not available.
          THen I hang up.
          Funny, I had the exact same conversation with Delta trying to get a replacement for a cracked fence mount for my jointer ... and Black & Decker for anything I've ever bought from them.
          Chr's

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Sadly that's the problem with buying almost anything from HF, they just don't have the infrastructure for a parts replacement policy. If you read the parts page in the instruction, there is usually a long paragraph stating HF's stance that the buyer is not qualified to service the tool and that the information, illustration is "for reference only". Usually at the bottom of the page, it states, "Some parts are listed and shown for illustration purposes only, and are not available individually as replacement parts." I guess they simply don't want to be in the parts (or liability) business.

Over the decades, I see more and more companies who do this... product support is very expensive, and product liability even more so. Back in the days when I used to sub-contract parts catalogs for IBM, they had what we called at the time, as "six-six" policy. Six years you could get both parts and service, six years after that you could get parts.... then nothing, unless a third party might have something, usually through salvage. On the other extreme though was Ingersoll-Rand, where you could get parts for almost forever. At one time we had a facility whose sole purpose was to make parts for compressors that we hadn't made in decades and for which part might not be available at regional warehoused. A case in point was the Imperial Type 10 recip compressor that we found in an a Bakerfield, CA oil field back around 2000. I was in marketing then and paid for the shipping to have it sent to our facility where our shop rebuilt it. Parts could still be procured, even though that unit was built in the late 1800's.

Of course having parts for a item like an fairly large old compressor which was never made in the thousands, is a lot different that the millions of different parts that go into tens-of-thousands different products in the consumer market. It's actually sort of a wonderment that anyone supplies parts anymore. We live in a global "throw-away" society.

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by twistsol

Funny, I had the exact same conversation with Delta trying to get a replacement for a cracked fence mount for my jointer ... and Black & Decker for anything I've ever bought from them.
              I had good luck with Delta.
              I had a run ( three times) where everything that was shipped made by Delta arrived with broken parts. The factory sent me replacement part for all the broken stuff, including iron castings, plastic parts etc. I have also ordered replacement switches from Delta without issue. I think t was a 12" bandsaw, a 12" thickness planer, and a 1" belt sander.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...