• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Took the plunge on a track saw

I am working on a specific project (a paid one) that involves ply and the size/shape of it has made it seemingly impossible to make clean cross cuts or a straight line down the long edge. After listening to many of you expounding the virtues of a Track Saw I just ordered one. I guess you dont need one until you need one! It will be interesting to see how this changes what I do. I haven't done much work with sheet goods over the years so could not really justify until now. I guess at least this job will pay for it :-)

As I need it to finish this job I found myself yesterday rushed to make a purchase, which is never an ideal scenario. I had looked at them from time to time and so knew most of the players. I still cant justify going "Green" so the choice came down to the Dewalt or Makita. The Makita won out.

Many reviews have it 2nd to the Festool and most have it as a best buy. I like the idea of the scoring feature although do note it doesn't have a riving knife. It will be used primarily for sheet goods and I dont see me necessarily straight lining any rough stock so I hope that wont be an issue.

I would appreciate hearing from other Makita owners and any other track saw folks for any early tips or lessons learned. I did also wonder about making cuts longer than the track and if there are techniques for doing so. Mine is coming with the 55" track and I may get another track later but what do you do if you need to rip a piece of a full sheet of ply?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Congratulations on getting the Makita, you'll be happy with it it. Other than the dust collection, it looks equal to the Festool. I'm curious what the reviewers faulted it on when rating it second to the Festool.

When I got my Festool TS75 I think the biggest problem I had was was getting used to the plunge action. It felt really awkward every time I made a cut. I later tried the dewalt which has a plunge similar to a plunge router which felt equally awkward. That said, practice with it on scrap first until you are comfortable with the plunge action.

When I first started using mine the track slipped a few times The second thing to get comfortable with is keeping the correct downward pressure and figuruing out how much side to side pressure you can exert. If the track moves, a tracksaw really isn't any good and clamping it down every time takes too long.

In a pinch, I've made half a cut with the short rail, moved it and finished the cut. It is possible, but not ideal. Using rail connectors works as well but then you either have to contend with the long rail for cross cuts or take it apart every time. The best solution is to get a long rail for eight foot cuts. The longer rail needs to be a foot or more longer than 8' so you have starting and ending room. Mine is 2700mm, 106" and is just the tiniest bit too short. Unless it is positioned perfectly, the adjustment slides in the base of the saw start or finish off the ends of the rail. If I had it to do over again I'd have gotten the 3000mm, 118 inch.
    Chr's

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Dang if the saws are expensive the tracks are crazy.The 55" is $85 on amazon right now although I have seen as low as $69. the 118" is $210 and I have seen it as much as $300!!!

IIRC I think I originally paid $250 for my BT3100...
      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Condoman44
        Established Member
        • Nov 2013
        • CT near Norwich
        • Ryobi BT3000

I have used the two short rails with two connectors for years and many long cuts. The only thing I changed along the way was getting the Dewalt one handed clamps. The Makita clamps are fine but one handed is easier.

I also made two small blocks that sit against the metal rail and make it easy for me to get a dead on measure from the edge. One for keep the cutoff piece and one for keep the not cutoff piece. I only need to subtract 1" from my measurement.

If you are not aware the Festool track parts are the same as Makita.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I purchased the Mikita Track saw last year prior to my large laundry room cabinet build. Possibly the best purchase yet. Knowing that acessories that I wanted but didn’t purchase the first time would haunt me, I went ahead and ordered 2 5ft tracks, replacement rubber track edge, extra blade and 2 one handed clamps. I’d have to say that the clamps are vital to a good cut. Yea, the rubber on the bottom of the track holds it in place pretty well, but just one slip on a valuable piece of wood could cost you as much as the price of the clamps. The plunge feature works well after you get coordinated with which button to push, I found out the hard way that operating the variable speed saw on slow for a plunge cut could be a recipe for disaster! It will crawl back at you like a demon. If I didn’t have a good grip on the saw it could have been ugly!

When researching track saws I viewed Festool MFT (multi function table) utubes. What a great idea. It looks like the answer to a lot of small shop saw needs.I may have to have one of those! and probably would have already purchased it except I want to incorporate it into my table saw outfeed table and don’t want to spend that much money on a table and throw half of it away.

capncarl

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Thanks for the heads up on the one handed clamps. Just ordered a set.
            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Poolhound, I don’t know if you’ve noticed the slots on the makita/Festool track. One slot is on the bottom of the track. That slot accommodates the clamp, an allows it to grip your workpiece or table under the track where it is completely out of the way of the saw. With a 48” cut using a 55” track You can cheat a little with this feature by adjusting the track to allow the saw fully on the track and plunge into the edge of the wood. The end of the cut is still guided by the track and the back guides of the saw. Much longer cut than this you need longer tracks.
              capncarl

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

So after some Amazon delivery shenanigans it arrived late on Saturday. In timing the edge I got the first inch a bit wrong as I the back guide came out of the track when I tried to take the first full cut. I dont think it will be an issue. I did my first test cuts on some old used plywood I am recycling into a cupboard door that will be painted. I know from previous pieces I had cut that it is very "chippy" and I had a hard time getting a clean cut. The track saw had no problem and other than a few user errors I ended up with a clean and square plywood door. I then used it to cut the project that caused me to make the purchase. It cut the edges very cleanly and I immediately saw how easy it is to take off even a small sliver.

I think I am going to like this saw a lot. I guess the only issue is that I now foresee me needing to make or buy some form of MFT setup.
                Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Love my tracksaw (I have the green version). If you plan on making several repetitive cuts you might want to think about a parallel guide. I believe many of the aftermarket (read non festool) ones like seneca work with may brands.
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I bought a DeWalt with 59 and 102 inch tracks as a set for myself for Christmas >5 years ago. Most recently I have been putting up all new molding in our current house and used it to trim casing (where the wall got in the way). I've also cut up a fair number of sheets of plywood and ripped long hardwood. I also use it (with an old blade) to cut drywall. Very handy tool. I use one my Rigid shop vacs with a Bosch 5meter hose for dust collection. After studying options, I built a workbench with a Ron Paulk style top - two layers 8 inches apart. That lets you put tools on the lower level and keep the top cleaner. I made a lattice of 1x2s to get the plywood up off the top so I don't cut into it. I also built parallel guides and they work (Cory Faulk's design (sorry if I messed up his name, working from memory) but I like my track setting jigs better. They are just long plywood scraps with a sliding stop built in and a dado that fits the rib on the track snugly. The sliding stop has a hairline pointer over a stick on ruler that is set so that you get the right width. I have a set that works for cutting typically a narrow piece where the piece you want is not under the track. And another set that works more normally where the piece you want is under the track. I think I have two of each but rather than set them both the same all the time I normally just use the same one on both ends but do the first, then the other end, then back to the first. Anyway - key tip is look for Ron Paulk's ideas on a workbench setup.

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

For the other makita owners here I have noticed that the saw does not sit perfectly flat in the track and seems to rock slightly front to back. Its hard to tell if this is by design or if there is an issue with mine.
                      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I went with the Dewalt track saw. I like it and since I have not tried any of the other track saws that pivot downwards, I have not experienced the "awkwardness" of the plunge action that you'll read about in many track saw reviews. So far the main weakness of the Dewalt is the depth setting. I haven't bothered to figure it out, but the depth setting dial doesn't actually tell you how far down the blade will plunge. At least I don't think it does. I don't think the gauge takes into account the thickness of the track.

With that being said, I recently had to make an interesting cut with the track saw. This is the bottom of a vanity desktop that will sit between a wall and a new vanity I made. I have already scribed the desk to fit into that space so really none of those edges is 90deg or parallel to other edges. I wanted the desktop to appear to "float" in that space so I'm using angled aluminum (which I had) to support the desktop. I used a dado blade to form a lip and rabbet on the perimeter for the aluminum to sit but there was one tricky section I didn't want to cut on the TS because it didn't seem safe. I suppose I could have used a router, too, but I find the tracksaw more natural for me. So I incrementally nibbled away a groove for that aluminum angle to sit. It took really no time to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171012_210256.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	831866
                        Attached Files

Comment

• JimD
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Lexington, SC.

i"ve never used the depth setting to do something like that dado but seems to indicate depth below the track on mine. Maybe it is a little crude but if I set it an eighth over the wood thickness I go through and about an eighth into the backer.

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

One of the deciding factors that led me to choose the Makita was its compatibility with the Festool MFT (multi function table) I was really impressed with the Festools MFT versatility in the Internet research I did prior to purchasing the Makita track saw. What I wasn’t impressed with was the price of the Festool track saw!
                            capncarl

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

The MFT looks nice. If you need a portable workbench and the small size fits your needs, I can see it working. But, like the saw, it is pricey. Ron Paulk has several workbench designs that are also designed for track saw use and cost a LOT less. I built a workbench with a two layer top of his design. Works great. I also built his crosscut setup. It works but generally I do not set it up. I just use a square to draw a line where I want to cut and put the track there and cut. I wonder if it isn't somewhat the same with the MFT, crosscut setup is often too much hassle to use. But the posts in the holes in the top should be very quick. But marking and cutting is also quick and quite accurate. For lots of cuts I just use my track setting jig and never even mark. For narrow cuts, I got a Incra marking guage and some .5mm pencils so the lead would fit the holes in the gauge. Nice to have a saw where my ability to mark is the issue - the saw will cut exactly where I put the guide.

Comment

Working...