• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Too Many Tool Boxes!

I have two large tool box sets with multiple drawers from HF in which I organized all my hand tools/mechanics tools after returning from Japan. I put mechanics related tools in one box and woodworking hand tools in the other.

THEN I ended up purchasing a good husky tool box for choosing tools and carrying them to work on location in different situations. Then I purchased another hand tote tool box and a proceeded to fill it with electrical stuff. Then the same for small woodworking tools. Now I have about 4 or 5 key screwdrivers in each, speciality pliers in each and other items such as tape, scissors, knives in each.

And I can't find the RIGHT tools, wrenches or sockets when I need them! They are now scattered among 5 tool boxes!

I envy you organized fellows!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • mangorockfish
    Handtools only
    • Mar 2017

I can hardly keep up with my glasses, wallet, keys and checkbook.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

One set of wrenches?
      Try box end/ratcheting end, as well as sets of dual box end (long and short), ratcheting comb wrenches, regular combo wrenches (long and short), open end/flare nut end wrenches, straight flare nut end wrenches, 12 pt flare nut/box end wrenches.
      That is just off the top of my head, and because I have had ones at certain locations for specific stuff and others in specific job boxes.
      I would love to set my stuff up (and am working on it), with one toolbox setup SAE, and one metric.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

My current thinking on tools and toolboxes is to have a complete set of anything I might ever need in the shop in one tool box set up. That's not one box, it's a stack up hodge podge of boxes that are too heavy to move. This also includes duplicates.
        I have a set of tools in the house garage containing 1/4" sockets, combination end wrenches,,plier set etc. most of what I need to keep the household and simple stuff for the cars and lawnmower so I don't have to continuously walk back and forth to the shop.
        I keep a specialize set of tools in my truck that includes boat and trailer tools. I keep a set of tools in the boat that has only tools I might need while out on the water. I keep a set of tools in the garage in a soft sided bag that I can grab if I have to work on a vehicle, tractor or boat not in my shop. This bag must weigh 40 lbs and includes about anything needed to get a job done, maybe not a complete selection of every type of tool.
        I am satisfied with this set up as it keeps me from making 40 trips back and forth to the shop.
        My kids are going to have a fit when it comes their turn to clean out their parents stuff!
        capncarl

Comment

Working...