Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Grizzly Bandsaw stopped turning on

This is the Grizzly 15" G1148.
    It was working fine yesterday, and nothing changed (I did not move anything, unplug/plug anything), but today it does not turn on.
    I checked with a voltmeter, and power is reaching the switch, but not beyond.

This is the switch :

This G8988 "paddle" type switch is a direct replacement for our machines and many others. It features a removable safety key and large, easy-to-hit paddle. 125V/250V, 16A/10A. Mounting Size: 7/8" x 1-1/2".

I am hoping the switch just burnt out, so I ordered this as a replacement. But after disassembling the old one, it does not show anything that could go wrong - very basic structure. Is this something that goes bad after a while? Should I try to fix it?

Does not help that this is right in the middle of my current project where I really need the bandsaw!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Have you wired around the switch to make sure it isn't something you can't see? Then check the capacitor.

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Switches go bad. I'm on my 3rd one on the drill press in about 12 years, although those stuck "on" not "off"

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

A real quick Google search, shown me something I was wondering about. It could be 110 or 220v.
        Is it 220 and do you have power on both legs?
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

It's 110 volt. The bandsaw allows 220, but with some minor tweaks (which the manual lists).
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Well, I do a quick test of the motor, by bypassing the switch, as capncarl suggested. If that doesn't turn the motor then I'd check the start capacitor(s) on the motor. (I personally have never done that, so you may have to take the motor somewhere for service.)

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • BT3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
              Well, I do a quick test of the motor, by bypassing the switch, as capncarl suggested. If that doesn't turn the motor then I'd check the start capacitor(s) on the motor. (I personally have never done that, so you may have to take the motor somewhere for service.)

CWS
              I've had to replace the starting cap twice on our hot tub pump. It's a matter of removing a couple of screws for the cover on the "lump" of the motor, and the cap just unplugs. You can order a new cap online or if you have a Grainger local to you they likely have it.

But... make sure it isn't the switch first.

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I am happy to report that the new switch from Grizzly arrived today, and I promptly installed it. Voila! the bandsaw works!

I am so relieved...

Thanks for all the suggestions - I was preparing to spend the weekend troubleshooting this, looks like I get to do some woodworking instead!
                - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

When the switch goes out in an appliance, I always order two. Partly because it costs nothing for shipping which will be as much as or more than the switch and second is the insurance it gives me that the switch will not fail again. And if you don't believe in Murphy then you can argue that the switch having failed once is a statistically high failure rate item and deserves to be kept on hand, especially since it been 8 years since you got the tool and in a another 8 years parts won't be available again..
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Originally posted by tfischer

I've had to replace the starting cap twice on our hot tub pump. It's a matter of removing a couple of screws for the cover on the "lump" of the motor, and the cap just unplugs. You can order a new cap online or if you have a Grainger local to you they likely have it.

But... make sure it isn't the switch first.
                    Thanks,

While I have never had to replace a starting capacitor, I do understand how to do it; but I didn't know if there was a way to check them to see if they need to be replaced.

Thanks again,

CWS

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith

Thanks,

While I have never had to replace a starting capacitor, I do understand how to do it; but I didn't know if there was a way to check them to see if they need to be replaced.

Thanks again,

CWS
                      Weak starting caps are typically indicated by hard and noisy starts. Shorted caps usually can't be found (although only the leads might be left). Open caps are indicated by the motor not starting at all or even the wrong direction - perhaps humming loudly in protest.
                      Testing starting caps - many but not all multimeters now have a capacitor tester that will read the capacitance value.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-08-2017, 01:58 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Thanks,

As always, your answers are prompt and well appreciated.

CWS

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • BT3100

With my spa, the symptom was the motor hummed but wouldn't start. I was able to spin the shaft while it was humming (then end of the shaft was slotted so I used a screwdriver) and then it spun right up. So I just assumed it was the cap and fortunately was right.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by tfischer
                            With my spa, the symptom was the motor hummed but wouldn't start. I was able to spin the shaft while it was humming (then end of the shaft was slotted so I used a screwdriver) and then it spun right up. So I just assumed it was the cap and fortunately was right.
                            yep that is a sure sign of an open cap.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...