• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

How do I get rid of my old power tools?

I have an old Delta bench disk/belt sander that's not working very well (too much noise and grating), and a Craftsman hammer-drill that just stopped.

What do I do with them? Do I toss them in the trash? Seems too cold; does anybody recycle them?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I set them out front by the trash pickup and usually someone comes by and picks up metallic items before the trash people get here. They recycle them for me.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Same up here in Binghamton, just sit them out by the curb and they'll soon be gone... if your street/road is well traveled.

Here on my street it is rather common to find your 'trash' missing within a rather short time. Even large items like an old washer. In our city, you we have to use so-called "city bags" which we can buy from several retailers for our garbage. Larger items like appliances, furniture, etc. we have to use a city trash sticker (about $3, IIRC), Other items, especially iron and steel usually get salvaged by any number of scrap hunters which seem to love our particular street.

A couple of years ago, my neighbor was mowing his lawn when his wife called him in for a phone call. He left his lawn mower right where it was.... in that grass area between the sidewalk and the curb. Well when he came back about twenty minutes later, it was gone. Around here we just joke about the fact that you don't want to stand out there too long or you'll get "adopted".

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Our county has a dropoff facility where we can take any recyclables or machines like yours for scrap. If the machine is operating, I leave it at the curb the night before trash day. It usually doesn't take long for it to be gone before trash comes.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Put them in the free section on Craigslist. Someone will probably want them.

Comment

• Turaj
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
            • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by tfischer
            Put them in the free section on Craigslist. Someone will probably want them.
            In addition to that, here in Toronto we have virtual group (yahoo) called Free-Recycle. I have always had someone who could use those items.

PS - Just checked and you have a similar group called 'Trash nothing' in your area!
            Turaj (in Toronto)
            "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Cool. Neat suggestions here. I think I'll try out the recycle option first, then will put it outside for anybody to take. Anyway would hate to drop it into the trash!
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

Originally posted by Turaj

In addition to that, here in Toronto we have virtual group (yahoo) called Free-Recycle. I have always had someone who could use those items.

PS - Just checked and you have a similar group called 'Trash nothing' in your area!

There are also Freecycle groups around. I used to get rid of a lot of stuff in ours, but it's been less successful lately. https://www.freecycle.org

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

I put in on cl for $5. For some reason that gets more responses that putting it up for free
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2007
                    • Tacoma, WA
                    • BT3000

I agree, or offer it in trade for something. Funny how free is trash but $5 is a bargain.

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • BT3100

The nice thing about "free" is you can say "OK it's on my front step come get it but don't bother me" lol.

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

I just went thru my pitiful collection of worn out sanders that I have been storing back just in case I needed a back up. I was just dreaming because saving them didn't change that they were junk. I was able to salvage one 1/4 sheet pad and a 5" Velcro disk pad, pulled the cord out of 2 sanders and salvaged .3-4 bearings that will probably never fit anything I own. Then everything went into the trash can. If it is broke or worn out, don't mess up some upstarting woodworker by saddlling him with junk.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

I am somewhere between the last two posters, as I agree with not passing wore out stuff on, but broke stuff can depend. (broken as in bad cord, or missing chuck key, etc. taught me about tools and served me when I got started ok)
                          I fixed a reciprocating saw that had a bad switch and gave it to a friend of mine for the cost of the part and he has used it for 10 years now. (occasional remodel, tree limbs, etc)
                          So there are those that like to fix things and "beat the system" as an old neighbor used to say.
                          That being said, I am also reminded of a story that I read, and know of someone local who did something similar. They had a dead refrigerator and put it out for scrappers and no one grabbed it. They placed a for sale sign on it with a $50 price tag, and it was stolen within an hour.

She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• radhak
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Miramar, FL
                            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I'm personally of the type to try and fix anything that can be fixed, so by the time I am ready to part with a tool, it's only use could be for parts, which is what I expect somebody picking up my tool to do. But yes, it does raise the possibility that somebody picks it up expecting more, then has to trash it: does not absolve me of much.

I guess I have to advertise it right, or part it out myself.
                            - Aristotle

Comment

Working...