X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangorockfish
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2017

Craftsman Date Codes

Does anyone on here know how to decipher Craftsman date codes? I read somewhere that the year of manufacture is the first two digits of the serial number but not for sure if that is correct or not. I guess I could contact Sears parts website and they could tell me. Thanks
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I'm not sure that there are date codes on any of the Craftsman tools that I have. On my 1973 Craftsman RAS it states "Mfg 5 73". On my older drill, circular saw, and saber saw it just provide the model number and there's nothing there that would indicate the years that I bought those. Craftsman model numbers are usually in a 3 x 5 number format, with the first three numbers indicating the contracted or source manufacturer and the last five numbers the exact model number. For example, my RAS is a 113-29401 "113" is the code for Emerson Electric.

The few Craftsman power tools that I own are corded, so I don't know if cordless tools or their batteries are date coded.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Snap-on has a date chart, that is rather famous. Craftsman, however has had so many people manufacturer things for them, that they don't have a standard. It is different for each manufacturer and product, as power tools may have a date on them somewhere, but you would have to know who manufactured what, to figure out if that hand tool company, placed some kind of a date mark on it or not.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

probably every manufacturer that builds for craftsman has different ways of implementing date codes, if any, on their nameplates.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mangorockfish
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2017

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll gather up my numbers and call sears parts and have them tell me when each was manufactured. I have two table saws and two RA saws and a drill press. Again, thanks for the help.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Since your talking only power tools, this is the site that frequently comes up for that. Years ago, it was called (O)ld (W)ood(W)orking (M)achines dot com (OWWM.com) which still gets one there, but there was some debate since some were for metal as well.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...