• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

B&D Workmate

My son recently got a new house so I'm giving him a few surplus tools and maybe getting him some basic items,
    I used to use the B&D workmate pretty often to hold things and cut things, The big jawed vise feature was pretty good.

I have one I think a model 79-001 from the late 70's - the dual height, gray painted steel model with laminated wood jaws.

I see they're still making a thing that looks similar a Workmate 225 with a 350 or 450 pound rating.
    Is it the same as my old one or a sadly cheapened thinned out version of its former self? Lowes and other places have them but not in stock, you have to order for local pickup.
    Does anyone have experience with them?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

I am not quite sure when mine is from. (garage sale/CL find) I know it is an older one, but I believe the model of mine was something like Workmate 400. I know they have a 425 model, whose top is closer to mine then the 225 model (wider), but for a few years, it seemed like the tops were cheapened and didn't last as long. Now it appears they are using bamboo tops, so they may be more durable. (at the same time as cheaper to produce)
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I know the current ones (model 225) are $60 or so new at the box xtores.
      On craigs list the old ones of that style are listing for $85-100 which seems absolutely ridiculous. I was wondering if there was any value in being an older model and better constructed.
      Yes, I know they come in cheaper and more expensive models, I'm talking about these,

Click image for larger version

Name:	B&D Workmate.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	829942
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

I have 2 of the earlier versions of this one from Craftsman. Looks like they have changed the design. Mine are height adjustable.

Another option from Northern Tools. These go on sale fairly often.

Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

As a new owner of an old Workmate as of 30 minutes ago (Loring's post had me checking my local CL), there is a difference. I've been wanting one but wasn't going to pay $60 for one. The guy I just bought this 79-001 off was also selling a Workmate 400.

They are nearly identical in weight but the 400 has a particle board top while the older one has a plywood one. Not a big deal since I plan to replace the top on mine. The reason why I didn't buy the 400 was the feet. The 400's feet fold outward like the 79-001 but they are kept open by some clips. 2 out of the 4 clips were broken so everytime I tried to pick up the workmate, the feet would drop down. Kind of a PITA. There is some friction on the bolt that holds the feet to the bench on the 79-001 so the feet stay at whatever position you put put them at. Kind of a minor point but $10 is $10.

The height adjustability on these is just "open" and "closed", right? There's nothing in the middle.

Name:	20170402_165353.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	829963

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I think they were called dual height. It had two heights depending on whether you opened the bottom feet or not.
            There's a set of rubber bumpers at the tops of the sides of the folding legs that set on the ground when the legs are folded.

And I was thinking a Craigslist unit would go for a lot less than an asking of $85 considering new are $60. I was wondering if the old was better than the new.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-02-2017, 11:49 PM.
        • atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

There's a guy on YouTube, John Taylor, who has a bunch of Workmate videos. You can apparently swivel part of the table 90deg to the floor to clamp downward.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            There's a guy on YouTube, John Taylor, who has a bunch of Workmate videos. You can apparently swivel part of the table 90deg to the floor to clamp downward.

https://youtu.be/Ujp5CRzCVCk
            That would be what the 400 series would do. Not sure the 225 ever would do that. My father has a 300 series (made in England, $10 garage sale find), that doesn't flip up, but has a 1" baltic birch top.
            I looked through his video's and the 425, uses plastic nuts, where the 400 uses metal nuts. My father needs feet again on his 300 series, for the lower feet in the low position, not the raised position.
            Overall, they have cheapened them, but not enough to not be useful. Just may need a sandbag on the newer models for things you would have been able to do without one, on older models. Best bet, IMHO, is to look at CL and garage sales.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I came across this today, searching for something completely unrelated:

I am completely fascinated with toolboxes and I love this one. Too bad they don't make them any more. I really like the size. I don't like that it's plastic (being able to stand on it would be very handy) and making a drawer instead of a lid that flips up would be nicer, since you could sue the top and still access tools inside.

Maybe it would be a fun project to replicate one.
              Joe

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Loring, the Northern Tool work stand is on sale now for $69.99 ($30 off).

Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania
                  • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

I have a couple of the similar HF stands, they work OK, but the Rockwell Jawhorse is much better in my opinion.
                  Shop ROCKWELL Jawhorse 35-in W x 39-in H Adjustable Steel Saw Horse (1000-lb Capacity) in the Saw Horses department at Lowe's.com. The Rockwell JawHorse leaves the saw horses in the dust. It's a 1-ton clamping, no hands needed, hold whatever you want, work anywhere you want JAWHORSE. The

IIRC I paid around $60 on sale.
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I thought you'd get a kick out of this. We are preparing for our overseas move so I'm basically flipping through old WWing and scanning articles I want to keep--surprisingly very few. This was in the letter to the editor section of Popular Woodworking Feb 2008. The writer inquires about what is the best general purpose workbench--not just for woodworking. My bench is definitely not dedicated to WWing but has numerous grease and other stains from other household activites.

This is Chris Schwarz' reply:

Name:	2017-04-16 15.30.38.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	830086

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

I inherited my father's (which we got him for Christmas in the early 70s), the same one pictured above. I don't recall the exact model; I'll have to check when I get home. I wouldn't trade or sell it for anything. Truly an ingenious and handy tool. I use mine all the time. Unfortunately a couple years ago I dropped it and broke off one of the black crank handles. B&D only has the orange ones now. **sigh**
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

So I lugged my Workmate across the Atlantic and used it maybe 2 times in 2 years. It was easier to setup my plastic sawhorses (which I leave outside on the balcony) and throw a piece of plywood on top than to dig the Workmate out of the HVAC closet. Hopefully some lucky local will buy it.

Comment

Working...