• Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

The best air hose

Several years ago there was a lot of talk about an air hose that used something other than rubber or PVC for the hose. I went looking at air hose at Home Depot and HF, nothing rang a bell with me. So the question is; What were the super slick never tangle and stays flexible hoses made of? Are you as happy with the hose now as you were when you first got them?

Bill
    on the left coast
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

I picked up a retractable hose reel from Grizzly when I was down in Springfield, MO a few years back. Love the thing, don't know how I lived without it lol (I hate rolling up hoses)

Comment

• thiggy
      Established Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Alabama.
      • Craftsman Contractor

I have a 50' Flexzilla and love it. It is super flexible and does not stiffen in cold weather.
      SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Your probably thinking the polyurethane hoses. Thin, lightweight and flexible.
        My main hoses used, are still rubber, as they are garage use/automotive, where I require more air then those little things would supply. Those lightweight ones are good for nailers, but you will have to view what tools your using accordingly.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Yes, the polyurethane hoses like Flexzilla are great. Another advantage since they are so flexible, I don't have to tug on them if I'm using them in the house. With stiffer hoses, I'd scuff up cabinet corners or pull something over because the hose would snag.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
            Several years ago there was a lot of talk about an air hose that used something other than rubber or PVC for the hose. I went looking at air hose at Home Depot and HF, nothing rang a bell with me. So the question is; What were the super slick never tangle and stays flexible hoses made of? Are you as happy with the hose now as you were when you first got them?

Bill
            on the left coast
            You're looking for Polyurethane hoses.
            Pros:
            • much lighter and thinner than rubber and PVC
            • Always consistently very flexible regardless of temperature
            Cons:
            • more costly
            • Very stiff axially, doesn't like being twisted. The one I use for reaching the cars and outdoor projects, I keep on a reel to pay out.
            Flexible but axially stiff, sounds contradictory. You 'll get what I mean when you use it.!
            It's worth it.

There's probably several posts on it here if you search.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN

You're looking for Polyurethane hoses.
              Pros:
              • much lighter and thinner than rubber and PVC
              • Always consistently very flexible regardless of temperature

Cons:
              • more costly
              • Very stiff axially, doesn't like being twisted. The one I use for reaching the cars and outdoor projects, I keep on a reel to pay out.

Flexible but axially stiff, sounds contradictory. You 'll get what I mean when you use it.!
              It's worth it.

There's probably several posts on it here if you search.
              Thanks for the search link, it's helpful. I understand what you mean by axially stiff, funny how when reading the reviews so many don't understand that.

The Polyurethane hose, I am sure, is what I was thinking of. What confused me were the new hybrid hoses. PVC and rubber, PVC and poly (?), and nylon hose. Then there are the brand name ones like Flexzilla. I would get the HF 25" polyurethane except that it's black. I think a bright color will help to keep me from stepping on it. For storage I'll use the shop made reel that didn't work so well with the pvc hose I have. I expect that if I have to drag hose a long way from the compressor the old hoses will come in handy, but the new compressor will run of of any outlet unlike the old one that needed 240vac, so I can just roll it to where I will be and 25" may be long enough.

I think for now I'll invest in a retractable power cord and not worry about a retractable air hose.

Thanks all for the time and effort to give me good advice.

Bill
              on the left coast

Comment

Working...