• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Grizzly Sharpener

Got this today in a weekly deals ad. Anyone have personal knowledge of it or the accessory kit?

Grizzly Industrial, Inc. is a national retail and internet company providing a wide variety of high-quality woodworking and metalworking machinery, power tools, hand tools and accessories. By selling directly to end users we provide the best quality products at the best price to professionals and hobbyists.

Accessory kit:

This accessory kit was assembled with the wood turner in mind. It includes a stone dresser to change the grains on the grinding wheel for fine abrasion and a jig and grinding support for rough turning and hollow turning tools. The jig and grinding support provides perfect results on oblique edges and hollow chisels.<p>For use with T10010 and T10097 wet sharpening systems.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I don't have that one but I do have the 10 inch one. The 8 inch is a very good price. I like the 10 inch and have a few extra tools that I bought extra. I am surprised that I haven't used it as much as I thought I would. That said, it is not the fault of the machine but my understanding of sharpening. "Sharpen" once on the grinder with precise shaping, then hone to extra sharp. From there, I do about 20 - 30 hones and then back to the sharpener. One other falsehood that I had was that it does not do fine sharpening on the grinder/sharpener. They are for shaping, and they do a good job without bluing the tools. The real sharpening comes with the honing.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I have the T10010ANV which I bought a year or so ago when it was first introduced at a spectacular sale price for something like around $100 (don't remember exactly). I also got the #1 accessory kit with it.

I'm afraid that I haven't used it other than to just try it out. Very little shop activity in the last two years hasn't warranted much in the way of sharpening. I just figured it had to be faster than using the wet or dry emory paper approach on a granite tile and the Veritas honing guide; although that gives a terrific edge... messy though.

From what I understand from observation, it sort of compares to a terrifically expensive Tormac, though it is not nearly as refined or as well built. But, I don't think I could ever justify the latter's expense.

To me, the 8" wheel diameter was a bit small and I thought it would put too much of a curve to the bevel grind. I'm certainly no expert in that regard though.

The accessory kit that I have is more designed for straight edge grinding of blades, like scissors, chisels, plane irons, etc. Seem built well enough and it does the job.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Harbor Freight sold a copy of this one for a bit. This one (my understanding) is a licensed copy of the Scheppach Tiger 2000A, which is closer to a T-4. (light duty)
        For the price difference, I would say go for the 10" model instead. I sold my father on one of them, and gave him an old SG stone. (he hasn't used the factory stone with it). The leather wheels are nothing compared to the Tormeks we both own (cheaper, and you can feel it), but the motor does its job and I would trust it more then the first model. The 10" model can also use the better Tormek jigs, which we do. I am tempted at some point to get a 10" one for a CBN wheel, rather then swap wheels on the Tormek.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...