• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Drill press purchase decision

I really need a good DP. I have a Delta DP400 now, which is a standing 16" cheap model. I think it was under $300. It wobbles, and I can't seem to locate the source. It's probably just that it's junk.

My top choices are the Jet JDP-17 (716300) or Delta 18-900L, with a slight preference for the Jet. The Delta lists for more, but available on the street for about $100 more than the Jet so effectively about the same. My top desire is accuracy/roundness (that's the one job of a DP!). Close to that is drill depth for pen blanks, and the Jet does a 5" one-turn stroke. The laser guide is very nice, I love that on my SCMS. I don't think I need much power, as I mostly cut some wood or light metal items such as weldable steel in the 1/4" range, maybe 3/8" at most.

Thoughts? I can also pick up the Jet locally at a retail store, or get the Delta shipped or buy used locally.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Hi Carlos,
    I'll preface that I'm not familiar with either of these models - hopefully some here does and will address. They appear very similar - both have laser; I see the Delta boasting a 6" quill stroke.

However, for your consideration - for pen blank drilling, I found I could reduce the margin for non-straight holes by drilling on the lathe, which eliminates inaccuracies caused by table/holding vice misalignment. You'd need pen-jaws for your chuck, or a dedicated pen-jaws chuck, and a drill chuck. Both of these can be had from PSI for $100-$140.

Keyless MT2 drill chuck: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TM32KL.html
    Large Pen Chuck: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSCPENCHK2.html
    Smaller Pen Chuck: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSCPENCHK.html
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Thanks, I'm the flat wood guy, the other half is the turner. She says she strongly prefers the DP even though she also has all the parts to drill on the lathe. My usage is everything from all around woodworking to welding/fab stuff for the Jeep or other things. So no matter what, we need a reliable DP in the shop. I don't know enough lathe stuff to talk about it intelligently.

Also, if a new tool makes her happy, so be it. She's the one who insisted we needed the Jet 18" bandsaw...

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Carlos, I hope you realize what a blessing it is to have such a spouse! Best of luck with the new drill press.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I'm editing my original post that was put up minutes before seeing your comment concerning your wife. If she wants a DP, then get the DP! I will urge you to look at and get the best pen making vise that you can get. Get one that is machined and solid. Clamp it to the DP table as tight as you or she can manage. Even with a very good DP, wood variance will cause drill bit to want to wander with the grain. This is where a very good machined pen vise is helpful.

That said, there ain't nothing like a good drill press. I want one of the new ones with VFD(?) - variable frequency drives that have no belts or gears. I can only dream!
          Last edited by leehljp; 02-22-2017, 08:19 AM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Those are nice big drill presses with lots of stroke. I don't have anything that nice and I am on my third DP now.
            Good luck. and its nice to have a wife who somewhat shares your hobby - at least shares your tools.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Yup, I enjoy working with her in the shop, even if not on the same projects (sometimes we do).

"So I've been thinking about a new drill press, and wanted to ask you......."

"Nope, no need to ask, just buy one."

I was actually going to ask her about key features. She liked everything on both of these presses. I think I have a shop nearby that would have both. Certainly the Jet.

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

The manager of the local shop threw in some discounts and a gift card, sweetening this just a bit. As usual, walked out of the house with one budget and came home with a different one.

The constant-variable belt system is pretty awesome.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Sweet! Is that the PM2800B?
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Carlos
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Yup, a real beast. I'm going to head out there now and build a roll-away cabinet to go under the table, and set up some DC for it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

You gonna bolt that puppy to the floor? Looks pretty darn top heavy to me, with a small base footprint and I'll bet it weighs near 200 lbs.

My 16" DP weighs about 160 pounds. I used some 2x4's to make a considerably wider base.

Wow, web page says 266 pounds. Did your wife help you lift the head on the pole, haha.

Really, How'd you get that sucker into the shop and assembled?

You going to put a woodworking table w/fence on it or leave it as as is more for metalworking?
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-24-2017, 01:31 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        Did your wife help you lift the head on the pole, haha.
                        Hah, no, that would have not worked. I have two neighbors/friends I'm close to, and they're always over here anyway. I just called them and they showed up for the usual beers and cigars in the shop.

I won't be bolting it down. It's quite stable actually. But yesterday I built a platform from MDF and 2x3 lumber to make it just a bit more stable and damp any vibrations (though this thing is SMOOTH).

It comes with a woodworking-style table, and a pretty decent basic fence. The fence isn't fancy, but perfectly square, with an adjustable flip stop. I sold my Rockler add-on table from the old DP, and the column-mount tool trays went with the old DP since they won't fit this. I'm 90% done building a cabinet to go under the DP table.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          LCHIEN commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's what I was thinking, buddies bribed with beer.
                      • poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

Ooooh Carlos a big yellow beast - JEALOUS!!!

BTW where is the sawdust?

Originally posted by Carlos
                        The manager of the local shop threw in some discounts and a gift card, sweetening this just a bit. As usual, walked out of the house with one budget and came home with a different one.

The constant-variable belt system is pretty awesome.
                        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                        techzibits.com

Comment

Working...