• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newbie2wood
    Established Member
    • Apr 2004
    • NJ, USA.

Miter saw fell off stand

I just purchased a new saw and was setting it up when my luck turned. My miter saw fell backward from the folding stand and hit the garage floor hard from a height of about 3'. Nothing appears broken on visual inspection. It powers on and the cut is still square. There was a slight odor when I first turned it on after dropping it but it has slightly dissipated. I don't know if the odor is just a new smell. Is there anything I need to check to make sure everything is okay?
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

On a few times when I have dropped a corded tool like a drill, and once a router from a couple of feet, they had a "smell" about them, but I figured it was caked dust from long ago. getting loose in the rotors and brushes. It goes away after a minute or two.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Nasty accident, but it appears by your description that things didn't get damaged enough for you to notice. Most likely the motor itself wouldn't he damaged unless it fell in a manner to impact the arbor or crack the housing which would dislocate the bearings. Short of that 'catastrophic' damage, would be the bed (alignment) or the casting area which the saw rotates/swivels on.... so if the operational movement the miter saw is functional and the alignment is still okay, I would assume that no damage is done, except for your nerves. But I would check everything very closely.

That "smell" you are sensing is probably just a new motor smell... every power tool that I have ever owned has it.

Miter Saws are tough to mount and un-mount and extra care needs to be taken so you don't accidentally drop or have them fall. I have a Ridgid CMS which I mounted to a piece of ply (needed to fit the two clamping bars on my Ryobi portable stand). Even then, you have to take care that it's locking to the horizontal tubes on stand.... as it is very unstable until the table is locked in place on the stand.

Good luck,

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

The smell, well, have you checked your shorts?
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Part of the break in process, New cars you are suppose to whack the door against a wall and drag a shopping buggy down the side, a new boat you are suppose to leave the drain plugs out and nearly sink the thing and flood the interior real good! I guess a miter saw you are suppose to kick it off the stand! I've known several contractors that use their truck tail gates for stands drive off with them still on the tailgate and have them bounce down the highway farther down the road, never hurts them at all, or so they say.

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Don't worry... new saws have an odor. I purchased a new SCMS last spring and it had one for the first few cuts. And mine wasn't dropped lol

Comment

Working...