• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

I just watched the second video... that's actually pretty cool.

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Hmm... $100 shipping seems excessive. And it would be good to know how much the tape is going to be, because once you are out the machine is useless. 300' seems like a lot, but if we cover a 4x8 sheet every 6 inches that is 7*8' = 56' right there.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • BT3100

Is anyone still following the development of this (the Shaper Origin)? I've gone from being a skeptic (as seen earlier in this thread) to really, really wanting one. But it's so much money... But the fact that you can preorder for $600 less than retail now is really tempting. Plus you can find promo codes for $100 off all over the net which is essentially free shipping.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I've been following this and have viewed all the videos and read everything. The even have a video where the purposely stray from the path, ignore the warning and keep going. There is a slight nick on the workpiece before the bit is retracted which they say also depends on the depth of cut being taken at the time since the bit retracts only so fast. So, it is definitely possible to destroy your work, but it looks like you need to put in some effort to do it.

I think the biggest benefit is that although it is comparable in price to to most home shop CNC systems, There aren't any size limitations although the depth of cut is limited.

My wife thinks it is cool enough that I pre-ordered one as a birthday present for myself. Now I just have to wait.
          Chr's

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • BT3100

Sweet! Yes I saw that video (and most of the others) and it seems they're being very upfront about the features as well as the current limitations. And also what they hope to change in software before or shortly after the ship date.

For me the biggest advantage is not just size of project, but the space needed. If I got a CNC Shark or the like I don't really have a good space to keep it set up. Plus I'd be limited to extremely small projects. With this, I could cut out a large piece of furniture if the need arose.

Seems like if you had one of these you'd really have to rethink tasks to take full advantage of it. What I might currently do on the bandsaw (with error and plenty of sanding) could be done with this tool in a pass or two, for example. Very cool.

Do I need this, Nope. Do I want one... you bet!

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • BT3100

Well I broke down and got on the preorder list. An unexpected bonus came in from work and pushed me over the edge

Let's hope it lives up to at least a little of the hype.

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

If anyone has been on the fence about this, as I was, I just got the following email from the Shaper folks today:

Last chance for $600 off retail price.
                Congratulations on locking in your Shaper Origin early! We will be closing the window on our Batch 1 order for production shortly. Now is the time to let your friends know that their opportunity to pre-order Shaper Origin for $600 off the retail price is ending. Starting February 1st we will be reducing the discount by $200.

What is the difference between orders in Batch 1 and Batch 2?

Batch 1: Pre-orders placed prior to February 1st will be offered at $1499 ($600 off retail) and will begin to ship September 2017.
                Batch 2: Pre-orders placed after February 1st will be offered at $1699 ($400 off retail) and will begin to ship January 2018.
                So basically the price is going up another $200 if you wait until after Feb 1, and also you'll have to wait additional time to get your product. Just thought I'd let folks know so you wouldn't be disappointed if you decided to order soon and missed the cutoff.

If you do order (at any time), you can save an additional $100 by using my referral link: https://preorder.shapertools.com/ref/N9VC5P186

-Tim

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • BT3100

I don't want to beat people over the heads with this (those of you who want one probably already have ordered), but I got an email from Shaper saying the referral bonus plan is ending at the end of September.

So if you order before then you can save $100 by using a referral code.

If you need a referral code you can certainly use mine, and then I save $100 as well: https://preorder.shapertools.com/ref/N9VC5P186

Hopefully my next post regarding the Shaper will be that I have it in my hands and have tried it out They are supposed to be shipping starting in late October.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Wow, I don't think I'd have the patience to still be waiting 8 months later.

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                      Wow, I don't think I'd have the patience to still be waiting 8 months later.
                      It's hard! Especially since I don't have much shop time late in the year before Christmas. But I knew what I was getting into when I pre-ordered. They delayed the date by a month, but that's still pretty good for a new product.

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002

I'm so far behind, when mine arrives, I won't have time to do anything with it for a few months. I was at least hoping to have time to learn sketchup before it arrived, but I haven't even done that yet.
                        Chr's

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • BT3100

After over 13 months of waiting my Shaper Origin arrived on Friday. Like twistsol above, my project backlog is such that I've only had a small amount of time to play with it, but it appears to do what it claims, and is pretty darned cool. The biggest wildcard so far is how much tape will it go through... the tape sells for $18 a roll which is considerably higher than the $10 price point they quoted early on.

Hopefully I'll have some time to really test it out within the next few weeks, after I finish up converting our carpeted stairs to hardwood. In the meantime, here's a teaser pic of my son trying it out.

-Tim

P.S. I have been away from this forum since early November due to personal schedules... hope to be back more regularly now that I'm back in the shop again.

Comment

• twistsol
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002

I'm jealous. I actually asked Shaper to move my shipment to the end of the batch 2 orders because in addition to my backlog, my work travel schedule has me away from the shop for a few months.
                            Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm looking forward to your builds.

Google is definitely watching me. I went to YouTube and saw this in my suggested videos--a time lapse of a chair being made using the Shaper.

Comment

Working...