X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Handheld CNC

Looks pretty cool. I'll be curious of reviews once it's out.

Shaper tools sent me a pre-production prototype of their Origin handheld CNC router. Using an onboard camera, the Origin scans the work piece for "domino tap...

Shaper Origin + Workstation combine computer-guided accuracy with hand-held familiarity. Cut with unparalleled precision, flexibility and efficiency.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

really cool, although I have no idea how it works, if you are following a line by hand how do you possibly get the accuracy demonstrated?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
      really cool, although I have no idea how it works, if you are following a line by hand how do you possibly get the accuracy demonstrated?
      Ahhh, just watch this https://shapertools.com/#Howitworks

You only have to move in the general direction and the device itself fine tunes the actual path of the router. It may be hand help but it still has a pretty hefty price tag. Currently $1500 on preorder and you wont get it until September of next year. Retail is estimated to be ~$2100

Still very cool though.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I really want one but I don't want the divorce that would likely follow.
        Chr's

Comment

• BadeMillsap
          • Dec 2005
          • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
          • Grizzly G1023SL

Pretty cool ... spendy probably but cool none the less...
          "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
          Bade Millsap
          Bulverde, Texas
          => Bade's Personal Web Log
          => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

I agree the price seems kind of high. I'm curious how they do. Especially with cnc machines becoming seemingly less and less expensive. I guess the space saving is something that will be unique to them.
            I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Since price isn't really an advantage, the advantage seems to be the compactness of the device, and the fact that you could potentially do a very large workpiece such as a 4x8 sheet of ply.

We had our kitchen redone a few years back and the countertop people came in, stuck tape very similar to that stuff with all the circles all over the walls and cabinet base tops, and snapped a bunch of photos. From that they could run it through their software and accurately calculate all the dimensions for the granite countertops, which they then just fed into their CNC stonecutter. Very cool stuff.

I wonder how accurate this tool is in practice though. If I suddenly lunged into my workpiece, could it really react in time to not destroy the piece? I'd have to see this thing work in practice... I'd never plunk down that kind of cash based on a computer model video.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

It also seems to depend on the user accurately placing those tape strips. if that isn't done correctly, I'd imagine the dimensions of your cut would be off.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Maybe it could be adapted to surgeries in the field. Do some kind of 3D deep tissue body scan to isolate the problem area, tape on the CNC grid, then go to town with the CNC scalpel to cut the right area and to the correct depth. I'm not going to be first, though.

Comment

• gerti
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I don't think the strips have to be placed accurately, just a certain maximum distance from each other. The tool "maps" the strips and calculates distances from the map and the strips it sees nearby. Of course I may be mis-understanding, but that is how I would do it.

The "How it works" video also says the tool automatically retracts if you get too far of the path.

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by gerti
                      The "How it works" video also says the tool automatically retracts if you get too far of the path.
                      I saw that, but I wonder how well it works in practice. Do you have to go really slow and fairly accurately, or could I lunge it in any direction and it would react in time to save my workpiece?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

Originally posted by tfischer

I saw that, but I wonder how well it works in practice. Do you have to go really slow and fairly accurately, or could I lunge it in any direction and it would react in time to save my workpiece?
                        Have you seen the bits they are using with it? I would think that would dictate a lot of your speed. You could lunge at a fall speed, and I don't think its motors, or the bit would stand up to that.
                        Accuracy at the speed it was shown in several of the video's is good, but I think it could only move the motor, around 1/2".
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal

Have you seen the bits they are using with it? I would think that would dictate a lot of your speed. You could lunge at a fall speed, and I don't think its motors, or the bit would stand up to that.
                          Accuracy at the speed it was shown in several of the video's is good, but I think it could only move the motor, around 1/2".
                          Well since the "videos" are just computer animations, its hard for me to draw too many conclusions. I'd want to see this done with an actual product. I'm guessing they haven't even built one yet.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by tfischer

Well since the "videos" are just computer animations, its hard for me to draw too many conclusions. I'd want to see this done with an actual product. I'm guessing they haven't even built one yet.
                            Sure looks real here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z6qYhwIN6U

and here:

This is super cool: a handheld CNC router that uses computer vision to let you see exactly what you're cutting through the bit, and compensates for any shaky...

Comment

• tfischer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • BT3100

Thanks for those links... I'm at work so will have to watch them later.

I did skim through the first video, and noticed that the letter "K" looked quite rough at the end of the video. I still question how precise this thing can be.

Comment

Working...