Foot Switch, Deadman or Power Maintained?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Foot Switch, Deadman or Power Maintained?

I got lucky this weekend!. Was given a new DeWalt Scrollsaw by LOML!

(Question below about foot switch type.)

Visiting my daughter near Springfield, MO on Valentine weekend. . . . For all of the places I had to take LOML and my daughter, I asked for 20 minutes of Grizzly time. We went. I wanted a Maloof style chair plans set that I knew Grizzly had - from a previous visit. I did not realize that LOML had also looked over the plans section on a previous visit. I went to the "plans" section, and so did LOML and my daughter. Daughter picked up a couple of scroll saw related books: fretwork and intarsia. LOML joined in on looking and asking. They began talking about the things I did when I was in Japan such as making signs with Japanese Kanji characters cut out. Where was my (cheapest Sears, 1989) scroll? she asked. (Left in Japan with a freind.)

I told them I couldn't do those things - fretwork and intarsia, puzzles, signs, without a good scrollsaw. A salesman came by and I asked where the scroll saws were. He told us. LOML bee lined for the scroll saws, and I followed. We saw three or four on display. What is the difference besides price?, she asked. After my basic explanations, she asked "Will you makes some of the things I want? Me: When I get time - However, scroll saw work is much like Pen making - doesn't take a lot of set up time, clean up time, other tools to set up or space like larger flat work."

Then, our daughter found a "$20.00 off of $100 purchase" in one of the "Springfield" books up at the front (Daughter works in Springfield, so she knows the books, magazines and coupons of Springfield). The stand, light and scroll saw as a set were $499.00 minus the $20 + sales tax. We went to the order section.

ONE problem, there is an elderly man who works on weekends (and who waited on me when I bought the Grizzly Track Saw last year). This guy doesn't understand the computer system very well. He typed in the catalog number for the set and said they didn't have ANY DeWalt Scroll Saws in stock. (I went through that same dialog with him when purchasing the Track saw, last year.) So, I asked, do you have the DeWalt Scroll Saw in stock? Yes (80)! Do you have the Stand in stock? Yes!, Do you have the Light in stock? Yes! ME: Then give me one of each and I will pay for them at the "set" price at the cashier!. HIM: You can't do that! Me: I did that last year with the Track Saw! He kind of argued but said "It might be possible!"

At the check-out, a new lady said I couldn't; I asked: please check with a supervisor. She did, came back and said "apparently, that is the way they sell 'sets'". She was not familiar with that. So I got it at the set for $479 ($499.00 - $20.00) instead of having to buy the individual price of around $550 - or settle for the Saw alone for $479 minus $20. By the way, LOML did the buying, I just made sure we were getting the right price!

NOW, to my question: From your experience with foot switches, what is better with a scroll saw: Deadman (lift foot and it cuts off) or Power Maintained (click once -on, click twice-off?

Foot switches are not that expensive, but which is better for a scroll saw? And for what use is each better?
    Last edited by leehljp; 02-14-2016, 11:38 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • wardprobst
    • Jan 2006
    • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
    • Craftsman 22811

Deadman for me, keeps me out of trouble *mostly*
    www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I like the click on, click off type. I've never used a deadman, though. I don't think I'd like a dead man, but it's preference, I suppose. I got mine at HF, FWIW. I did have to take it apart and reseat the spring once, but other than that, it's been great.

Congrats on the scroll saw. I have the Dewalt and I really like it. Funny you mention a comparison to pen turning. That is exactly why I like both. I don't have a ton of extra time, but I like that I can knock out quick projects with a scroll saw or a quick pen in a matter of a couple hours.
      Joe

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I've never used a foot switch on my scroll saw, but then again I don't use it all that often. I suppose much depends on the way you work and how comfortable your body is with working in one position (deadman's switch, if you don't move around a lot I suppose). For me, I have got to move my feet and legs around as it isn't comfortable to just anchor myself in one position. With a deadman's switch, I think the saw would be switched off at times when I really didn't intend it to be.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
          For me, I have got to move my feet and legs around as it isn't comfortable to just anchor myself in one position.

CWS
          Once I would have gotten started, I would have realized that I need the "Click On, Click Off" type too. I hate anchoring my leg/foot for long periods of times, which causes my leg cramping or nerves shooting pain down it. I can't stand to drive more than 10 or 15 minutes without going into cruise control. Fortunately most of my driving is highway.

In my excitement of getting this going, I didn't think about the type of switch I would need, or if I would need one. I will look for a HF one that stays on when clicked.

Thanks for the reminder.

JOEY: In all the reading I have done in the past couple of days, I read your comments somewhere on this forum and the Dewalt scroll saw. I am looking forward to accomplishing some projects in a short period of time. Thanks for the comments.
          Last edited by leehljp; 02-14-2016, 05:40 PM.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I have an older (1940's) Delta scroll saw that I don't use that much. At a scroll saw demonstration somewhere I remember seeing a leg activated switch like the ones on cabinet model sewing machines. I liked that, no diddling with a switch or having to keep your foot in one place. I like to have my stool set close to the saw when I use it so it would fit my style perfect! Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	787604

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a deadman foot switch but don't use it for any tools.
              What I found is that you have to maintain a balance with the wood being fed and your weight on one foot and the other keeping pressure on the pedal and its all very fatiguing and uncomfortable (causing cramps like you say) and possibly even unsafe when using it with larger pieces that require shifting the body to feed the workpiece or move the saw.

Frankly when I ordered that switch I went thru the same consideration of on-off vs deadman and decided the on-off really had no advantage.

Just my two cents.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-15-2016, 12:36 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

I had an email yesterday, from Rockler. It is their annual Routermania and they had one thing I decided I wanted for a good price. In looking around, effectively for a filler item (want, not need), I also looked at the foot switch they sell. It is a press once on, and press once off switch. Where all the deadman switches I have dealt with in the past, minus one on a large metal press, were both a deadman switch and a variable power switch (not liked by a lot of tools like routers that have speed controllers).
                Not sure what your saw has in the way of speed control or settings, but one more thing just to be aware of.

One more option, a big flap paddle switch, that controls the power to the saw, about knee height (assuming a sitting position).
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• wimachinist715
                  Handtools only
                  • Mar 2017

I'm all about safety so deadman it is. I even have a waterproof one just in case. Purchased complete unit from a company called Presair. This one... http://presair.com/shop/foot-pedal-air-switch/

Comment

• sailor55330
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2010

Personally, I have not used either to any great extent, but I have a friend who runs a large commercial press that is wired with a deadman and he absolutely hates it. He has accidently hit the switch while walking by and it scared the daylights out of him. Additionally, as mentioned, he finds that he has to shift himself into some unnatural positions to make the switch work, sometime causing him to adjust his weight and therefore shutting off the press in the middle of a drilling. Scroll saws may be different. My suggestion is find something about the size of the switch and then see what it's like to apply pressure to that one spot for a length of time and then evaluate. Personally, I don't think I'd be comfortable with a footswitch at all. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

See my post, #7 above in this thread, I posted last year on my experience with a deadman switch.
                      Anyone need one?
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...