• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I have some air D/A sanders (IR and Fla Pneumatic) that do a very nice job. I prefer a ROS over a finishing sander (for electric ones). I use PC and Ryobi.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have a Festool Rotex and use it with a Fein Vac. In that setup - it is for all practical purposes - dustless. There is no side dust, no slight dust escaping, no wife complaining about dust allergies when re-finishing a room and doors. THAT is worth a few hundred dollars if not more!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• conwaygolfer
        Established Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Conway, SC.
        • BT3000

It looks like I will be buying a ROS sander tool. The only small drawback will not being able to get into the corners. But I will keep the present sander for that.
        I have hinted that I would like the Festool track saw for Fathers Day. I better not push my luck and also ask for the sander.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it.
        If the wife gets me the track saw I will let you know what I think of it. I am presently using a long guide with clamps etc.. and it is getting "old" rather quick. Need something easier for my older age. I can't cut a full sheet of 3/4 in. ply by myself on the table saw anymore. Hopefully the track saw will solve my problem.

Thanks again,
        Conwaygolfer

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Wood Magazine did a comparison of ROS'. I don't know what issue it originally appeared, but it's also in the Fall 2011 "Best-Ever Home Shop Ideas" compilation.

The PC 390K ($120) was rated top overrall. The Milwaukee 6021-21 ($70)was the Top Value.

I will probably go with the Milwaukee soon. I had a PC (333?) that busted. Replaced that with a clearance B&D piece of junk that didn't last. Now I am on the HF that I got for under $20 with a coupon. I have gotten about my money's worth out of that one, but it's SCREAMING now and it will probably burn up soon, at least I hope .
          Joe

Comment

• Dal300
            Banned
            • Aug 2011
            • East Central Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I have to disagree with Loring's wiki post... pneumatic DA sanders have been around for decades. they aren't the same as a ROS. I'm not sure I can describe the difference, but when doing body work on a truck or car you always want to use a DA and not an ROS because the ROS won't allow you to feather the edges like you can with a DA.

BTW, if you have ever noticed, a vibratory sander like the finish sanders and mouse sanders and others leave a nasty 'scroll' pattern that's difficult to get rid of. ROS and DA's don't do that if you let them do their jobs.

Comment

• Carpenter96
              Established Member
              • Aug 2011
              • Barrie ON Canada
              • BT 3000

Sanders

Hi I have a 1/2 Sheet dual action sander. You can run it as orbital or in line. I also have a couple of random orbit sanders. I agree if money is no object buy the Festool, but if you bought the Porter Cable you would have enough money left to buy $120 worth of abrasive discs. Regards Bob

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by Dal300
                I have to disagree with Loring's wiki post... pneumatic DA sanders have been around for decades. they aren't the same as a ROS. I'm not sure I can describe the difference, but when doing body work on a truck or car you always want to use a DA and not an ROS because the ROS won't allow you to feather the edges like you can with a DA.

+1. I agree. I've used them since the 70's.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

BTW, if you have ever noticed, a vibratory sander like the finish sanders and mouse sanders and others leave a nasty 'scroll' pattern that's difficult to get rid of. ROS and DA's don't do that if you let them do their jobs.
                  i just copied what was there verbatim. The caveat with Wiki is that it is user-generated content (any reference writing is subject to human factual errors or bias for that matter). I generally find it a reasonable guide. I presume you experts by lack of comment agree that the important content from Wiki concerning the dual action rotating and orbiting, lack of swirl marks and indifference to the grain direction was correct.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

That is one thing that I noticed right away on the Festool. I have the 6 inch (150) Rotex and switching between modes, one will leave swirls/scroll patterns (also more aggressive) and the other doesn't. It is super at feathering. It does remind me of the days of feathering with the DA back in the mid '70s in auto body work, except the Festool is much heavier.

Having said the good points of the festool, here are the negative points of the Festool for me:
                    1. I should have bought the 125 or 5 inch model as the 6 inch is too big for most of what I do. I bought the 6 inch over the 5 inch because I figured I might be re-sanding floors, which I have not gotten around to doing just yet. Hoever, if I did, I probably would rent a floor sander rather than being on my knees now.
                    2. It is FAR more sander than I am worth. It is out of my league but I am happy to have a Rolls Royce parked in the weeds in my yard with the other junkers! Those two actions get the job done well.
                    3. It is a workhorse of a team of Clydedales, and a racehorse of Secretariat speed, but it isn't meant to be used as an occasional, once every three months projects.

The greatest value it has served for me is the dust collectino system for the 9 hole sanding discs. LOML appreciates the lack of dust when I sand in the house. So, if severe allergies to dust are a value at all, this has been worth it. Still the Festool is out of my league, but LOML would not let me part with it - until the house is finished being re-modeled sometime in the later part of this new century!
                    Last edited by leehljp; 05-08-2012, 08:45 AM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      i just copied what was there verbatim. The caveat with Wiki is that it is user-generated content (any reference writing is subject to human factual errors or bias for that matter). I generally find it a reasonable guide.
                      I've quoted Wiki after reading the part I quote, and doing any necessary research regarding the accuracy of the selection. Because, someone always does the research to check it out, as we well know. Quoting Wiki to me is like entering it either in place of my own response, or as a further explanation of my response. As you said, the content is user generated, and it represents what is taken as reliable. It may only be an opinion which may be at best, questionable.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      I presume you experts by lack of comment agree that the important content from Wiki concerning the dual action rotating and orbiting, lack of swirl marks and indifference to the grain direction was correct.
                      I replied without reference to whether I agreed or not with the data from Wiki. I've used all types of sanders and many different brands. I prefer a D/A and ROS over other types. What does make for better surfaces is a good technique. It's not always the tool.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

I would add that I would have to agree with Wiki to quote it.

Comment

• Carpenter96
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2011
                          • Barrie ON Canada
                          • BT 3000

Best finish sander

Hi my students always ask which tools to buy and my response is the same every time. What is your budget? And given their answer I tell them to buy the best tool they can afford. Given the choices out there decisions are much more difficult in todays world than 20 years ago. The better the tool usually means the more quality work it will do. Regards Bob

Comment

Working...