• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
    Item #95288 300 Lb. Capacity Mobile Base.
    +1. I used this recently as a base for my lathe. Works like a champ.
    JR
    JR

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JR
      +1. I used this recently as a base for my lathe. Works like a champ.
      JR
      It's under my apparently no good piece of junk band saw, and soon under my no good piece of junk drill press. (Tongue firmly in cheek here folks!)
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• master53yoda
        Established Member
        • Oct 2008
        • Spokane Washington
        • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I use the coupons that drillman posts and if it is electrical I buy the 2 year warranty I just bought the 12" sliding miter saw http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96698 (the new style one with the red motor it is far more stable then the old style saw.) It does every bit as good a job as my sons $450.00 one and i only have 149.00 in it with a 2year warranty.

I have only had a few tools that didn't pan out, like there tap a die set, it wouldn't even clean up threads much less make new ones.
        Last edited by master53yoda; 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM.
        Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by master53yoda
          I use the coupons that drillman posts and if it is electrical I buy the 2 year warranty I just bought the 12" sliding miter saw http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96698 (the new style one with the red motor it is far more stable then the old style saw.) It does every bit as good a job as my sons $450.00 one and i only have 149.00 in it with a 2year warranty.

I have only had a few tools that didn't pan out, like there tap a die set, it wouldn't even clean up threads much less make new ones.
          Thanks for the tip on that one... I have been looking at it, just not sure if I should jump on it or not... How is the blade on it?
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Photojosh
            Established Member
            • Aug 2009
            • Washington (the state)

I've heard good and bad things about the miter saws. The older ones seemed to get a lot of scorn. But the newer ones seem a bit better. Never used either myself.

Comment

• WayneJ
              • Jan 2004
              • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Just a heads up. Harbor Freight is having there sidewalk sale this week end for what its worth.
              Wayne
              Wayne J

Comment

• pbui3057
                Established Member
                • Jul 2008
                • Mather, CA
                • BT3000

I forgot to add this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95272

I love this cart. Easy setup and rock solid so far. Seems to be as good as any of the big brand name ones for less money.

Comment

• master53yoda
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • Spokane Washington
                  • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Originally posted by dbhost
                  Thanks for the tip on that one... I have been looking at it, just not sure if I should jump on it or not... How is the blade on it?
                  the blade does a nice clean cut. at 100 tooth (I thing 100) you need to let it cut on things like 2x6s and not try to chop saw with it.
                  Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• os1kne
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Atlanta, GA
                    • BT3100

I've been very pleased with this air compressor:

And this roofing nailer performed like a champ for me this summer:
                    Bill

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

I'm another one who appreciates the list, as well as the discussion. I have a few HF items, and have been happy with my purchases. But I do watch what I buy from them. Threads like this one help me make good decisions when buying.

4 or 5 years ago, I thought about buying a pickup truck for hauling things. But I wound up with the 4' X 8' folding trailer. It's at, or near the top of the list in good buys for me.

Someone mentioned the sliding miter saw. One of my sons bought it (I have a DeWalt), and he's been very happy with it. That's not to say it's the same quality as mine, but he has used it quite a lot, with no problems. He's using it for construction.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Photojosh
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • Washington (the state)

Originally posted by Ed62
                        4 or 5 years ago, I thought about buying a pickup truck for hauling things. But I wound up with the 4' X 8' folding trailer. It's at, or near the top of the list in good buys for me.
                        I thought about suggesting the trailer. but I wasn't sure how far off "woodworking" we wanted. But since it's been mentioned...

The HF 4x8 trailer is one of the greatest deals in the store for the average homeowner. No, it's not a big solid welded beast, but you can be out the door for under $250-300 for the 12" wheel model (don't bother with the 8" wheels) and these things take far more abuse than anyone with an understanding of trailer safety should give them. Do some google searches for the motorcycle guys who use them as cheap transport for their bikes and roll for hours at 80mph on the interstate.

Keep the bearings lubed, run the wiring in some split plastic tubing when you put it together, keep it covered when storing outside in the rain and the thing will give you more years of service than you have any right to expect for the price.

Comment

• tjr
                          Established Member
                          • Oct 2008
                          • at the falls of the Ohio
                          • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

I'll add:

97036 Nine LED Flashlights in a 2 pack, usually $2.99 on sale.

I've bought over a dozen of these. Great gifts especially for kids. Included AAA batteries are even pretty long-lived. Only prob is that here in Cards vs Cats country there may be fussin' over who gets red and who gets blue.

Has anybody thought about a HF duds list to complement the gems list?

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by tjr
                            Has anybody thought about a HF duds list to complement the gems list?
                            I have been pondering that as well. As everyone knows, they have more than a few duds...

The trailer is a really good catch... There's more than a few guys out there that have based some really nice Teardrop Trailers on these. They do require a good sanding / priming / painting if you are going to have them outdoors 24x7, BUT then again... Pretty much every trailer I have ever seen comes off the assembly line with a lousy finish...

FWIW. I have seen this very trailer fully bolted, and squared up, followed up by being tack welded. (The owner is a welder, says he can't buy stock to build a trailer cheaper than the HF trailer costs...) with a shop built metal sideboard set, and WAY too much equipment in it for the rating. The fact that the bearings and springs put up with this kind of abuse is honestly stunning...

I do agree with the points above, and this is kind of universal for all of these types of trailer kits. Run the wire is split loom to keep it from damage, and give it a good rattle can paint job, or better yet, coat it with Epoxy paint and you have a trailer that will last WAY longer than you have a right to ask of such a cheap trailer... I have been considering picking one up and building a removable canoe tree for it so I can haul 6 boats to the river / lake... Actually, for MOST of my hauling duties, this trailer and a hitch on my Saturn would keep the mileage off of my pickup, and the huge gas bill away from my wallet...
                            Last edited by dbhost; 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• BobSch
                              • Aug 2004
                              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by os1kne
                              I've been very pleased with this air compressor:

And this roofing nailer performed like a champ for me this summer:
                              http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92359
                              I've got the same compressor. Loud as heck, but it works. Some day I'll replace it with a 30-gal upright portable belt-drive unit.
                              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• rja
                                Established Member
                                • Jul 2004
                                • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
                                • BT3100-1

I bought this speed control: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43060

I am using it on an old Rockwell Delta 1" band sander that runs too fast for wood sanding. It cuts the speed nicely.

Comment

Working...