Have you had difficulty using this chuck?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Have you had difficulty using this chuck?

I believe that I have the same Craftsman, 10" DP that is giving Chris a problem with its laser. These DPs come with a 5/8" keyless chuck that I'm finding to be a real pain to use. The standard, keyed Jacobs chucks tighten and loosen so freely that you can easily hold onto you twist drill and tighten or loosen the jaws to the needed opening. This unit is so tight that you need both hands to twist the chuck. The manual states that you need to rest the tip of the drill on a block of wood while tightening the chuck. Hmmm, limitations such as using a small diameter drill to drill into an piece that is 10" wide means a whole lot of blocking. More to the point is that as that drill leans between the jaws you have to return to centering it as the jaws close so that it doesn't chuck up off center. Have any of you found a better way, short of replacing this awkward cuck? This is taking about 3 times longer than it should.
    Last edited by ironhat; 12-31-2008, 02:12 PM.
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

My CM is a couple years old, but it came with a good ol' keyed chuck. I don't mind that at all, as I never have encountered a keyless chuck that was dead-nuts concentric. You gotta have that for a DP.

Comment

Working...