Clear All
  • oakchas
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Jefferson City, TN, USA
    • BT3000

I say Nay Nay!

Nay Nay I say to expensive tools!

I want something that works, works well, and is reasonably priced. That is, after all, why I bought a BT3000 in the first place (that and it was way ahead of it's time when it came out).

I lament that I can no longer work on my own vehicle without thousands of dollars worth of diagnostic electronic tools. Can't use my timing light any more except on my Allis Chalmers tractor... I guess the trade off is I have a more efficient truck that gets a couple more miles to the gallon, and probably doesn't puke as many hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. But that's a different story.

Tools is what this is about.

What's all the hubbub about a "palm router?" Okay, I'll be specific... The Bosch Colt... WOW! ~$120 fer a one horse trim router! With Edge guide! Whoa! Such a deal!

You can't get the tilt attachment (which is a handy notion, BTW). You can't get a wheel guide, you can't get alot of stuff for it (at least not at Amazon... maybe soemwhere else?).

Pish posh! This is marketing at it's finest... I didn't know that I needed a 1 HP trim router... I need a table mount and router raiser for this bad boy! NOT!

Wanna save a hunnert bucks? And get the same tool?

Who wouldn't?

Why anyone who has half a brain knows you can't get the same tool for 10% of the price... And besides, The Colt is cool!

Ah... nuts!

Listen, you want a tool that'll do the same job? You want it for a lot less $$$? $90.00 bucks would buy a lotta board feet of red or white oak... or some less walnut... But no matter what $90.00 is $90.00...

This one even comes with 2 wrenches... no half working spindle lock... press real hard, it might work... And this one comes with a wheel bearing guide and an edge guide... and IIRC, a couple of spare brushes to replace the old ones when you wear 'em out.

Okay... It ain't variable speed. But I gotta fix for that for $10.00. It's not quite 1 whole horse either... but this is a trim router ferjimssake! I'ts about 2/3 horse and it's not quite as fast either... only 23,000 RPM instead of 35,000... But you don't really need all of them RPM any way less you're spinnin a panel raiser in that Colt... and if you are, you oughta be shot!

Okay so here's the deal:

One 2/3 HP, 23,000 RPM, 1/4 trim router with edge guide and wheel guide (for trimmin laminate)... Brand New. <$10.00

Variable Speed Add $10.00

Plus shipping

I don't sell 'em. I don't manufacture 'em. I am in no way associated with the mfg or distributor.

If you wanna know where and how.. ask...

I figure the folks on this site always usta have some common sense. This here is a test to see if they still do... Folks that wouldn't buy their kids Air Jordans certainly ain't falling for this marketing scam by bosch... are they?

this is not a bargain alert. This is regular pricing, BTW.. Buy two - they's cheap.

Charlie <<<gettin off the soap box and hoping to see some rational folks with good sense ask questions.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

I'll bite. Tell me more.

Comment

• JSCOOK
      • Sep 2006
      • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
      • Ryobi BT3100-1

Okay you're got my attention ... spill the beans ...
      "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• oakchas
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • BT3000

nah... not yet....

surely, there's more sensible folks out there? C'mon! I ain't trollin' here... this is real... No chum in the water...

I've used mine for over 2 years... it still works as advertised.

<EDIT>
        32 views.. 2 takers? Common sense is indeed gone!

Tell you what, I'll reveal all tomorrow morning ~8:30 AM my time... but surely there must be more curious about this? Speak up! I've just turned 51 years old... and I'm getting crumudgeonly in my old age...
        Last edited by oakchas; 11-28-2006, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• linear
          • May 2004
          • DeSoto, KS, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Tell us more, I like the beginning of the story, let's see how I like the end...
          --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• TheRic
            • Jun 2004
            • West Central Ohio
            • bt3100

Thought of several things, but can't get the < $10.00
            I know it's going to be something simple, specially with that price. I'll bet it will be a groaner once we find out.

How about a hand drill, the variable speed is a 12 pack.
            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• oakchas
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • BT3000

Originally posted by TheRic
              Thought of several things, but can't get the < $10.00
              I know it's going to be something simple, specially with that price. I'll bet it will be a groaner once we find out.

How about a hand drill, the variable speed is a 12 pack.
              Nope, I said trim router... I meant trim router... The distributor doesn't show up in the first 4 pages of google either... <10 bux really... for a trim router... that works... with edge guide and trim guide wheel for flush trimming.

I was wrong about the router speed control though... it's $15 bux not <$10... my bad... still save $90 though...

Comment

• gjat
                • Nov 2005
                • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                • BT3100

No kidding. I'm actually surprised at some of the tool purchases I read about here. Come on, this isn't WoodNet! Take a little pride in 'financial economy'. We didn't buy $1,500 saws, we bought Value, and to **** with the pretentiousness of bragging about the size of our trunions. ****, we all could make nice furniture if we were set loose in a furniture factory with their million dollor machines.

I'm actuall a little taken aback with the idea of even buying a trim router. I use my 1/4" Craftsman router I got from my dad, though I thought I'd get fancy and but the HF speed control on sale for $15 a few months ago. If I built cabinets for a living, it would be worth it, but to use it 3 or 4 times in 10 years?

Comment

• TheRic
                  • Jun 2004
                  • West Central Ohio
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by oakchas
                  ...I was wrong about the router speed control though... it's $15 bux not <$10... my bad... still save $90 though...
                  Oh, a 18 pack of beer.

You still got me thinking!! Then again I never did understand the advantages to a trim router over a regular router, other than size / weight.
                  Ric

Comment

• Tequila
                    • Aug 2004
                    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I'm guessing this is the router that you're making such a deal about.

-Joe

Comment

• TheRic
                      • Jun 2004
                      • West Central Ohio
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by Tequila

http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?Ses...cat=&sku=02735
                      Take another shot, I think you got it. We might have to wait till 8:30 am to find out.

So glancing around Homier / HDC they seem similar to HF. Is this correct, or are they better / worse?
                      Ric

Comment

• drumpriest
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                        • Powermatic PM 2000

gjat, wow, as I just purchased a 1500$ saw (worth more, but got a great deal), am I out of the club now? I still use my Ryobi planer, drill press, and hand drill, does that help??
                        Keith Z. Leonard
                        Go Steelers!

Comment

• gjat
                          • Nov 2005
                          • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by drumpriest
                          gjat, wow, as I just purchased a 1500$ saw (worth more, but got a great deal), am I out of the club now? I still use my Ryobi planer, drill press, and hand drill, does that help??
                          No, you're not out of the club, yet. We have to give you a little slack since you're one of those percussionists who can't really read music.
                          But you're on thin ice. If they find out you spent more than $275 for a single battery powered drill to mount handles on the drawers for an end table, your membership MAY be in jeopardy.
                          Last edited by gjat; 11-29-2006, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• LarryG
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2004
                            • Off The Back
                            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I'm curious, too. Tell us more, please.
                            Larry

Comment

• oakchas
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • BT3000

We Have a WINNAH! Tequila gets it right! Good job!

Originally posted by Tequila

http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?Ses...cat=&sku=02735
                              here's a cleaner link:

And a pic!

Really guys; this is a working, valuable tool for far less money than one of the Colts. As I mentioned, I've had mine for a couple of years... I've used it for everything from drywall cutouts, to slap-dashing something together with a hand held rabbet, to Fine WW... It does the trick... it just ain't as purdy as the Colt. Surely, there's a way to make an angle holder for one of these units, too... just think about it.

If you want a flush trim guide for your Colt, you can even buy this router... it looks like it (the flush trim guide) might fit.

You want a soft hand grip? buy a can coozie from your favorite convenience store or the dollar store, cut the bottom out and stretch it over this one...

Oh, you wanted variable speed... get a router speed controller from Harbor Freight... I got mine for $9.99... I see they're up to $14.95 or so now...

And when Homier sells out of these routers, you can spend $10 bux more and get the same router (probably) from Harbor Freight, too..

I'm sorry to lead you on like this... but I really see a problem with spending all this money for tools we don't use that often.

I missed 8:30 by a few minutes, too... Sorry about that... My dogs had to have breakfast, 'afore I threw you this "bone."

Have a great day!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...