• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

I'm not sure if this is an isolated thing, or a characteristic of the new software, but I recently posted a new entry in a thread I started, and noticed it did not bump to the top of Recent Posts. Is anyone else noticing this?
    Bill in Buena Park
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I've noticed that comments don't bump a thread and it appears that if the same person posts multiple responses to a thread, it doesn't use the most recent. It updates when a different user posts to the thread. I still need to verify this behavior before I submit a bug report on it.
    Chr's

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Ok - I've noticed both things you mention as well. Thanks for confirming.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

HERE IS THE REASON: IF you go into this forum by clicking on New Posts or New Topics, the topic/post does not advance the thread to the top with new posts in the logical way we are used to on the old forum. IF On The Other Hand, you choose RECENT POSTS as your default browsing of this forum, you will see this forum in a manner closer to what we saw on the old forum software. A new post to an older Thread/Topic WILL bump the thread up to the top.

The 1. New Topic, 2. New Post, 3. Recent Posts - ALL/EACH operate very differently from each other, and give different results from each other.

1. If you click NEW POSTS, the latest POST (not Thread/Topic) will be at the top, and the thread it is in might be confusing.
        -> In NEW POSTS, the latest POSTS get top billing, not the thread/topic.

2. By clicking NEW TOPICS to find your way through this forum, you will get the latest list of new TOPICS or THREADS, sequentially. A subsequent post to a thread/topic WILL NOT advance that thread back to the TOP of New Topics.

3. RECENT POSTS - more like we were used to seeing on the old forum software. This arranges the list of topics/threads in latest chronological post, but different from #1 above in that the TOPIC gets top billing but operates under the same manner of New Posts.

Give them each a try the next time you visit. They will each give you different results. Make a note and make an intentional change in a click and you may find things to your liking then. BTW, I am not a forum supervisor; these are what I have found by "playing" with them. I could be off a tad in the specifics, but that is what I have noticed so far.
        Last edited by leehljp; 12-16-2016, 06:52 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Hi Hank, I only use the Recent Posts view here, and in the case mentioned above, when I add to a thread where I was the last poster, it still doesn't bump to the top. Hopefully, this will be addressed over time.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Hmmmm. It works that way for me.

EDIT: When I posted the above line, this thread was the second Thread in line from the top. The top one was your post on the Christmas Ornament. But after I posted the "Hmmmm . . ." this thread jumped to the top - for me - which is how it always works for me.
            Last edited by leehljp; 12-19-2016, 12:47 AM.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...