• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeS01
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2013
    • Tropical NQ, Australia

Cannot view image

Hello, I was reading this thread with interest, and it made reference to a picture that waas not in the thread.

Can you please advise if this pic has disappeared into the wispy Ethernet, or something is wrong with my PC

regards,
    Joe
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Nope, it's not you. All I get are a couple of silly question marks.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Imagestation closed in 2008.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Several times in the life of the forum our files have been corrupted and images have been lost. Since the OP last visited over 6 years ago it is doubtful the images can be restored. Sorry about that.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Sawduster passed away a couple of years ago.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Some older threads on BT3Central have lost their photo attachments.
            There are several reasons for this.
            One, like the thread you posted were from 2003, back then we had llimited storage and posters had to host their own pictures or use a hosting service and have a link in the thread point to the picture elsewhere on the web.. In this case the original poster used Imagestation which closed as a service in 2006 so all the links became broken.
            Two, a number of older threads contained the pictures actually loaded to BT3Central, but through accident or data crashes or system upgrades, the pictures were lost in internal directory shuffles and cannot be found. In some cases, I have uploaded my original pictures back to threads that have lost their photos.

In the Current BT3Central you can host fairly large photos now that server space is cheap. The best way seems to be to attach photos in the "go advanced" option using "Manage attachments" under Attach files below the text entry area.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Another option that folks may wish to consider is registering your own domain. GoDaddy.com and many other registrars and hosts offer free site hosting so for a small fee of less than $10 a year you can get picture storage. I am not advocating that folks use this as a first choice but as a backup solution to what they have uploaded here.

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

hosting pictures on a domain you own is OK for you, as long as you keep paying for it.

But it does nothing to prolong the longevity of pictures in the posts here. Once you stop paying for it and the account is closed, or if the host goes out of business, the links will be broken and future BT3ers will see ??? for photos. Ultimately the best solution for maintaining the pictures as long as BT3Central is around is to use the BT3central site to store the pictures which is now possible but in the old days was not possible.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  hosting pictures on a domain you own is OK for you, as long as you keep paying for it.

But it does nothing to prolong the longevity of pictures in the posts here. Once you stop paying for it and the account is closed, or if the host goes out of business, the links will be broken and future BT3ers will see ??? for photos. Ultimately the best solution for maintaining the pictures as long as BT3Central is around is to use the BT3central site to store the pictures which is now possible but in the old days was not possible.
                  What it does is if or when BT3Central has a glitch the images may be easier to find. That way the poster can rebuild the thread. I try to keep a copy of images hosted here on my own domain in a special folder.

©

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                    What it does is if or when BT3Central has a glitch the images may be easier to find. That way the poster can rebuild the thread. I try to keep a copy of images hosted here on my own domain in a special folder.
                    I also like to maintain control over my images.
                    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...