• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Carlos
    We have 10' ceilings so that allowed plenty of room for the pipe to be out of the way. Unfortunately it also makes the work a lot harder than normal ceiling height, and requires much more pipe and support for all the drops.
    I had at least a 10' ceiling in my shop which was great when I needed to flip a long board end to end, but as you said, not so much for having to work up high on the ceiling. I'd still want high ceilings in my next shop.

In the video you posted, there's some kind of rattle/grinding sound at the beginning and then it goes away a few seconds later. Have you figured out what that is? What side of your neighbor's house does it face? Now I can see why you needed to keep it low. Maybe you could wrap that metal pipe in insulation to knock down the decibels further.

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

The rattle was just the door for the collection bin and the sliding lock I put on it. It stopped in the video because I put my foot against the door. The pipe itself is quiet, though I did get a can of spray-on sound damper/sealer (DEI Boom Mat) just in case it needs it. Funny how that rattle stands out so much, yet it's not really that loud. Just an annoying sound I guess. I'll fix it by putting another lock on the other side of the door. Since the ply isn't perfectly flat, it gapped a bit on one side and allows it to rattle.

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

The new system has been operational for a couple weeks, so I can report on how it works. First, being outside is SOOOO nice. Very little noise. Most of the noise is air in the ducts and small leaks I still need to fix. Overall the system seems quite effective, and I'm happy with the improvements shown immediately on the drum sander and the miter. Oh yeah, it's very useful to have ultra-clear tubes on things like the drum sander so I have one more form of feedback on how much or how little it is removing.

There is no filter, just the cyclone. So the inside of the cabinet is covered in fine dust, as expected. The cyclone does a great job. Since it's outside, and far from the door, I don't expect the dust will have any noticeable effect on anything.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I’m kinda surprised that your cyclone doesn’t make a lot of noise! My experience with industrial blowers ( though much larger than yours ) literally roared without filters for mufflers or long runs of piping that act as silencers.

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

It makes a huge amount of noise. But it's inside a shed made of 3/4 ply and 2x4s, with the blower/motor on a rubber mat with rubber bushings on the bolts. And that is outside the house, which has 2x6 construction and good insulation. So when I say it's quiet, I mean the end result inside the shop.

It approaches 100dB with the covers off the shed.

Comment

• Haninga
              Forum Newbie
              • Jan 2018

Originally posted by capncarl
              I’m kinda surprised that your cyclone doesn’t make a lot of noise! My experience with industrial blowers ( though much larger than yours ) literally roared without filters for mufflers or long runs of piping that act as silencers.
              Not all makes alot of noise...

Comment

Working...