• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

That kind of rig is EXACTLY why I had extra 220V circuits run into my shop. For now the HF will have to suffice, but you guys will know if I win the lotto if I suddenly grab a SawStop 3HP PCS / 52" fence and a CV1800 5HP like yours...

Oddly enough. For now anyway I am tickled stupid with my cheap HF lathe, my cheap HF mortiser, band saw, etc... My big upgrades I want though are like I said, a Sawstop, a CV1800, and, well a piece of land I can build a nice shop on instead of this cramped garage!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I've had the CV1800 for a month now. Thanks to a bad wind storm and an tornado I've not had a lot of time to work on it. I'd guesstimate 24 hours on the cyclone installation and another 30 hours trying to quiet it down. The DB level is down to 72 now, from 110-115. It's bearable now and I have to get the rest of my equipment piped in so I'm finished with noise control at this time. The Hitachi sliding miter saw and Delta band saw is necessary to build blast gates so 6" temporary ducting will be cobbled to them first. The sliding miter saw is covered by a lexan hood with clear acrylic curtains on the front and has a 4" dust port located directly behind the saw with the Delta 50-760 connected directly to it for dust control. Even with the deltas suction, lexan sides and front curtains the saw seemed to spit as much sawdust into the shop as went into the collection can. This evening I replaced the 4" piping with "6, turned the cyclone on and gave the saw a trial run. This thing nearly sucked the blade off the saw, had the acrylic curtains flapping inside the hood and every bit sawdust flying down the hole! What a change.

I changed my priorities from Sawstop then cyclone to ... cyclone then Sawstop when I figured out it would be easier to live without fingers than iwithout lungs!
      capncarl

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

I have to make do with a tiny portable DC (similar to the one Rockler always sells with the dust-right system, hung on the wall, only mine's on wheels) because I don't even have a corner to dedicate to a 1.5 horse Harbor Freight one. But I'm grateful for it and it does collect a ton of dust.

When I was new to woodworking I got my planer. I ran some wood through it, and was astonished how much shavings it made. My wife helped me clean it up using a snow shovel, and I declared I was off to buy a DC. I ran to Menards and picked up the one I still have. Shortly after I replaced the horrible filter bag with a much better one that's supposed to collect down to a few microns.

Mine looks simiar to this, but isn't the same: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...G9PxoCt0Xw_wcB

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          Snow shovel, haha. I know what you mean. Nice fluffy shavings. Don't need that half micron bag for planer shavings.
      • capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Photo of the back of my Hitachi sliding miter saw cabinet with 6" dust collector piping with blast gate. 6" pvc sewer and drain piping and fittings are stocked in several local plumbing supply houses....... they say........ until you show up with your shopping list and find out they only keep a couple of sticks of pipe and will order the fittings you need. I walked out on them and went to a local building supply that I like supporting with my money that said they would order any 6" pvc I wanted.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3869.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	829225

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Glad you got it all working and if you can keep the dust away from you SCMS then thats a real achievement. Would like to see a pick of the front of the SCMS setup although I am not sure I have room for any hood.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Name:	IMG_0936.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	829231
            Above photo of saw cabinet with piles of sawdust when using old Delta collector

Photo of front of the sliding miter saw cabinet. The back of the slider only has 1/4" clearance before it touches the lexan, so this cabinet doesn't take up as much space as you would think. The workbench to the right serves as an indeed table for long pieces.

Name:	IMG_3870.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	829230

Comment

• JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Jay Bates on YouTube is in the process of revamping his dust collection setup. He's had nasal issues which have been compounded by sawdust. It seems like he's declared a war on dust. I think he'll have a pretty comprehensive video on Sunday about it.
              Joe

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I basically shut my wood shop down in early December and started deep cleaning and have not done any more woodwork that creates fine dust. Any use of the woodworking tools was with the Delta dust collector setting right beside it hooked up with a short 4" hose. Trying to create as little dust as possible while installing the new Clearview system. I can really tell a difference in my breathing and my sinuses have been really open in the last couple of weeks after about 6 weeks of a cleaner shop. I'll look up Jim Bates's utube! and see what I can learn! Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

• os1kne
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Atlanta, GA
                  • BT3100

Very nice!
                  Bill

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl

Name:	IMG_0936.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	829231
                    Above photo of saw cabinet with piles of sawdust when using old Delta collector

Photo of front of the sliding miter saw cabinet. The back of the slider only has 1/4" clearance before it touches the lexan, so this cabinet doesn't take up as much space as you would think. The workbench to the right serves as an indeed table for long pieces.

Name:	IMG_3870.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	829230

Wait, is that clear vinyl for the area behind the fence to keep the dust from bouncing back at you? How well does it work?
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

The clear vinyl behind the fence is to help re-direct dust toward the vacuum can when the saw is pivoted. The airflow is these areas is reduced and maybe it will deflect airflow and dust. The jury is still out on this addition until I can put it thru it's paces, but the open 6" " can" pulled 100% of the dust on all 90 cuts.

Comment

• Slik Geek
                        • Dec 2006
                        • Lake County, Illinois
                        • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by capncarl
                        I've had the CV1800 for a month now. The DB level is down to 72 now, from 110-115. It's bearable now and I have to get the rest of my equipment piped in so I'm finished with noise control at this time.
                        That is an impressive improvement in noise reduction. Please share the details of how you did that! I bought the same model on 6 month installment last year. Many distractions so I only got it installed a short time ago, but no ducting in place yet. The noise is impressive so I'll be wanting to quiet mine down too.

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

Slick, i started building the closet enclosure around the Clearview without a plan. I wanted to make the enclosure with removable panels so i could access the upper parts of it, and a large door for access to the trash can and filter. My shop walls are 5/8 OSB, stud walls, batt insulation, 5/8"OSB with Hardy Plank siding. This is on 2 sides of fhe Clearview. Not much good for sound attenuation inside the shop but you could barely hear it running outside. The ceiling is pitiful, its vinyl siding ceiling plank like excuses that builders install under porches and carports. It has 4" of blown in insulation on top of it.
                          I first started installing 2" thick JM (Polyisocyanurate Insulation that i had left over from another job on the upper half of the cyclone, 4" over the Clearview and 2" on the sides. No noticable sound changes at all because rhe bottom half of fhe machine was open.
                          Next i framed in for a 2 door bottom half, using 2x4s, and built 2 door rectangles (2x4). I installed 1/4" lexan inside the door rectangles and cobbled up a double hinge so fhe door would open wide. The sound dropped to about 105db. Not enough for that effort.
                          Next i wrapped the cyclone discharge to the filter with 1" thick armaflex rubber insulafion. The sound dropped to 103db.
                          Next i installed another 1/4" lexan sheet in each door to create a double paned door (The door rectangles were built with 2x4s on their sides so the door is 3 1/2" thick), plenty of room for 2 sheets of lexan with a 1" spacer. The sound dropped to 95db
                          Next i built an air exhaust port panel out of 2 " polyisocyanurqte Insulation which is basically a box with several baffles at 90 degrees that lets air out of the enclosure but doesnt let sound out. I mounted this at the top side of the enclosure so that airflow traveled upward and cooled fhe 5 hp motor and did not blow out every crack around the doors. The sound dropped to 90db. Still too loud
                          Next I caulked EVERY crack every corner, inside and out. I used regular painters grade caulk, not the expensive accoustical stuff that no one in out town sells. There was no measurable drop in sound.
                          Next i cobbled together door flashing and rubber seals and door sweeps and tightened everrything up around the door, and install a door latch. This dropped the sound to around 75db. All measures are taken with an SPLnFFT app on my iPad from 10 ft.
                          A lot of the 75db noise is coming from the enormous amount of air being pulled into the piping at each piece of equipment. When i shut off all the blast gates and just let the clycone run it quiets down considerably. I havent measured that because it is not a condition i will be operating it in.

My plan was to stop with the sound attenuation project for now and see if it will be bearable, if not i will purchase accoustic batt panels and rip out the polyisocyanurate that i can get to and replace with accoustic panels.

I would suggest purchasing accoustic batt pannels to start with rather than messing with failed attempts with building supply insulation. I used what i had on hand, and did hours of research trying to find the accoustic properties of what i had, with no luck. My thoughts on it are that the manufacturers make both items and will not tell you that their insulation is a good accoustic barrier and loose the sale of fhe much more expensive accoustic product.

My wife still asks me why i spent so much money on a clear machine and then build a closet around it? Good question.

capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

Opps...... i didnt realize that I havent posted a picture of the Clearview in its enclosure. Ill do that today.
                            capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

Attached is photo of Clearview separator noise enclosure.

Name:	IMG_3918.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	829467

Comment

Working...