Solving the Gorilla Glue setting up in the bottle problem. I think...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Solving the Gorilla Glue setting up in the bottle problem. I think...

I haven't ever had good luck with Gorilla Glue. It sets up in the bottle after one, maybe two uses and is worthless. I have read on many different forums that a way to stop that is to store the bottle upside down. Well Gorilla Glue bottles aren't exactly made for that. So instead, I went ahead and whipped up a quick and simple bottle hanger that stores it out of the way, and upside down. Will keep it out of harms way while not using it, and with any luck, will keep it from going bad on me...

There's other ideas / designs for this that could have been used, I went with what made sense to me...

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Nice solution Dave. I don't use Gorilla glue, so wasn't aware of the issue with drying out - good to know that, and how to fix if I ever need to try this. Thanks!

Just out of curiosity - it looks like you had enough clearance to put the glue bottle in with the L bracket oriented 180 degrees from how you mounted it. Was there a reason you preferred to mount the way you did?
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Another glue bottle upside down storer. Use a stepped hole for the collar and nozzle. A close fit and it won't tip over,
      Would work for polyurethane gorilla glue as well as the yellow wood glues, to solve various problems.

http://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/dis...763#post826763

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?id=826764&d=1470253725&type=full.jpg Views:	1 Size:	304.8 KB ID:	828677
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-26-2016, 08:57 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Bill,

There is absolutely a perfectly valid reason for the L bracket being designed the way it was. That reason is I'm far too lazy to actually measure how long I wanted it. This was a quick-and-dirty problem solver I actually kind of wanted the bottle rotated towards me so I could read the label although it didn't need to be done like that.

I had considered Loring's method however my back is not super happy with me these days and the only storage place I would have for it is down low on the bench which would be problematic for me. However the more I look at it maybe some keyholes and a multi bottle hanger might be just the trick for a version 2.0.

Funny thing is the longer I do this the more I learn about glue and the less likely I am to buy and keep large volumes of glue around my shop. While it's good to have plenty of glue around it seems to go bad after a while and large bottles for me at least are a waste.
        Last edited by dbhost; 12-27-2016, 02:23 PM.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Fellows,

I don't mean for this to be critical - Is there a way you could post a picture of the results of a project along with the video. I am always interested in projects and ideas like this. However, often times I don't have 10 or 15 minutes (sometimes even 5 minutes) to view videos. I watch very few you-tubes simply because they require more time to watch than I have. Loring's picture was very helpful. A lead-in picture of the end result and a video together really compliment each other.

I look for projects, especially here and IAP, and often have 3 to 5 minutes between meetings to catch glimpses of great projects. When I see a picture like Loring's, I carry that image with me for hours and mull it over while in the middle of a boring meeting! I just don't have time to do that with videos until much later. Sometimes at the end of the day, I can view longer ones - when LOML is not expecting my full attention when I get home. And sometimes it is a couple of days or more before I can watch them.

Thanks.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

When I need glue for a project, I bring it out and set it on the worktable. Still upside down but at arms reach. Flows out immediately instead of A--N--T--C--I--P--A--T--I--O--N like that old ketchup commercial used to go.

Dave is OK because he want to store it upside down.

Mine's better for me because I want it to flow out immediately so the bottle needs to be kept upside down for use, while storing upside down is also good..
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-27-2016, 03:24 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
              Fellows,

I don't mean for this to be critical - Is there a way you could post a picture of the results of a project along with the video. I am always interested in projects and ideas like this. However, often times I don't have 10 or 15 minutes (sometimes even 5 minutes) to view videos. I watch very few you-tubes simply because they require more time to watch than I have. Loring's picture was very helpful. A lead-in picture of the end result and a video together really compliment each other.

I look for projects, especially here and IAP, and often have 3 to 5 minutes between meetings to catch glimpses of great projects. When I see a picture like Loring's, I carry that image with me for hours and mull it over while in the middle of a boring meeting! I just don't have time to do that with videos until much later. Sometimes at the end of the day, I can view longer ones - when LOML is not expecting my full attention when I get home. And sometimes it is a couple of days or more before I can watch them.

Thanks.
              Lee, I hadn't considered adding photos I have some I just need to upload and Link give me a few minutes and you'll have them. I started going to video instead of photos because video seems to get more interaction and views from users of these days but we shouldn't go without photo or text because like you said that everyone will take the time to view the video.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

To be honest I skipped over long sections of the vid. It was a bit long for a L-bracket with a hole and a butt joint.
                I actually prefer a series of photos (assuming they are good photos) - saves a lot of time for me.

Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by dbhost

Lee, I hadn't considered adding photos I have some I just need to upload and Link give me a few minutes and you'll have them. I started going to video instead of photos because video seems to get more interaction and views from users of these days but we shouldn't go without photo or text because like you said that everyone will take the time to view the video.
                  That was nice and simple. I like it! And again, I am between having to spread attention to half a dozen people. My mind will be on this while I am looking at them and smiling the whole time!
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Great feedback guys! I'm trying to make these videos AZ interesting and informative as possible. Just out of curiosity I know it ran long for people with experience butt do you think I gave too much information for say somebody just starting out?

Comment

Working...