Don't do like I did. DC duct install flaw.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Don't do like I did. DC duct install flaw.

I messed up thinking HVAC foil tape would have better longevity than it has... Which caused me a bit of a problem with my DC ducting... I show you the problem, and how I fixed it!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Yes, that sealant tape doesn't have much structural strength. Gorilla tape or something like that may work better.

Is there a reason you didn't just glue the PVC pipes together?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Dave, I did the same thing, except I used duct tape instead of the HVAC tape, and worked ok but not as rigid as I wanted; my repair was the same - two screws at each joint, and then tape back over to seal. I tried PVC glue, but it didn't seem to work very well between the PVC fittings and the drainage pipe I used (that corrugated stuff.)
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by woodturner
        Yes, that sealant tape doesn't have much structural strength. Gorilla tape or something like that may work better.

Is there a reason you didn't just glue the PVC pipes together?
        I wanted easy access in case something gets jammed along the line.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Originally posted by dbhost
          I wanted easy access in case something gets jammed along the line.
          I found this out the hard way. After screwing and taping everything together, I was using my DustRight vacuum on the DC (which is connected to the end of the longest run for some reason...) to clean up around my lathe, where I keep one of those small containers with racquetballs (no, I don't play, but use them on occasion for supporing workpieces on the lathe.) Next thing I know, the DC has sucked up the plastic tube of balls (like a pneumatic tube system) through 90% of the line, including three 45 degree turns in the line, before it gets stuck at the fourth and final 45 turn - on the tip of one of those screws. Untape, unscrew, disassemble, remove, reassemble, re-screw, re-tape...
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...