• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Shop Topics

I don't know if I've posted a picture here since the format change so I'll try it. Since we moved into this house in late 2013, I've built a couple bookshelves for LOML but I've mostly worked on the house. But part of that is to finish my shop garage. We had it added, I think it was in 2014, and I've worked intermittently to wire it, insulate it, and put up waferboard walls skimmed with drywall compound and painted white. I built a long bench for my CMS and RAS, a new workbench inspired by Ron Paulk and most recently a storage rack for my sheet goods. I made it last weekend out of 3.5 sheets of 3/4 plywood from HD made in Chile. It is heavy but nice to have. I found pictures of the workbench, the cross cut jig for the workbench, a flip top cart, and my newish shop vac cart with dust deputy. All were made since the move.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Looks great Jim. I wish I had the room for a worktable of that size. How is the pairing of the mortiser to the planer working out on the flip-top stand? Do they balance out fairly close?
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Bill,

The weight of the mortise and planner are similar so it is pretty easy to swap them. Neither is too heavy to lift, however, I mainly did the stand to save space. The planner is much shorter and the stand could have been shorter except for the mortiser. But I am happy with the combination. The worktable is 3 feet by 7 feet. My shop garage is 14x24 and I have about 3 feet on the window side of the garage before you get into the door space. So I can push the workbench over against the wall to pull a car in. I haven't done it yet, I needed the scrap storage bin. I may try it today. But mainly the worktable or bench stays out in the middle. It is my table saw outfeed, track saw cut up table, and general worktable. It rolls on 6 totally locking casters so it is pretty mobile. The main issue with moving it is the scrap mess on the floor - which needs cleaned up anyway.

Jim

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

What are we seeing in photo 2? Is that a lift table your planer is on? Elec motor standing on its fan end? I like the openings in the sides, is it for clamp access? I want to change my large outfeed table to incorporate track saw features like the Festool MFT 3 table has. I just can't stomach spending $665 for a piece of equipment to rob parts off of. Being able to move workbenches and other shop equipment is a necessary feature for those of us with a small shop. Somethimes we spend more time figuring out how to make it movable than building it though. My outfeed table is 4'x7' and is designed to jack up and fit on top of the table saw so both can be rolled into the other room in the shop. Sounds good but I bet I'm going to be in for an oh crap moment when I do try to move both of them and find that it won't fit in the other room. I'll probably find that out soon when I want to bring the Miata in the shop to start the LS3 engine conversion.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

The second picture is my flip top stand for the mortiser and planner. On the right side is my workbench with assorted stuff on it. There is a $100 Ryobi table saw at the end, and there is other stuff on it, mainly because it doesn't have another home. The workbench is inspired by Ron Paulk's workbench designs. I bought several of his plans (cost something like $20) but didn't build anything exactly like they show.

A flying Miata seems like it would be a lot of fun. Not a real practical car (trunk on a Miata is already impractical and moving the battery there won't help) but a fun car. I think the flying Miata kit would make a better car than the monster miata ford based kit with no new rear end. You could put as much hp in the LS3 as you want. Even a realtively docile 350-400hp in a Miata is crazy.

Comment

Working...