• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

A Challenge To Myself...

SWMBO asked me to make coaster caddy to hold two sets of round coasters. One of the sets has a wooden caddy, but it's too short to hold both sets. It's an interesting design and looks to be machine manufactured out of some foreign wood. I'm going to make one like it from some scrap hard maple I have. I am challenging me to use only my 10" Dremel bandsaw to do the machining. I could have slapped something together using the table saw, but I have always revered James Krenov who used a bandsaw almost exclusively in his work. So the gauntlet has been thrown (it hurt when it hit my foot) and I am doing all cutting on the bandsaw. I'll post pics when I have it done.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Most of the time, I think the BS is more useful than the TS. In fact, the TS is the one tool in my shop that I'd be willing to give up.

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

OK, here's SWMBO's coaster caddy. I started with a 6 1/2" wide c 35" long piece of 4/4 hard maple that was a left over from the entertainment center I built awhile ago. All saw cuts were done on my 10" bandsaw. I ripped the board to width, crosscut five pieces, resawed one to 1/2" & 1/4" thick, The center "hole" was cut on the bandsaw to 4 1/8" diameter. I used an OSS to smooth the center hole and then glued the 1/4" base on. The assembly was trued up on my BT3K with a 10" sanding disk mounted. Then the two coves were cut on the bandsaw and smoothed on the OSS. Finish is a sealcoat of 1# cut amber dewaxed shellac, Lockwood's #8 brown dye, Watco medium walnut danish oil, and a couple of coats of wipe on semi-gloss poly. Not the most beautiful or difficult project, but the challenge was to cut it all on the bandsaw. Click image for larger version

Name:	Maple Coaster Caddy.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	833001
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Pretty cool looking, Jim.
        I'll brand it a success, even more, a work of art.
        Keep up the good work.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Looks great Jim. It is sure to draw some comments from guests to your home!
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Very nice indeed. Looking at it at first I thought it was all one piece, but I couldn't imagine how in the world you would have cut that. So thanks for the explanation. It looks great and surely is a very attrative, artful design.

Thanks for posting this for us to see,

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Black walnut
              Administrator
              • Aug 2015
              • BT3K

That looks great Jim.
              just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Weir, Ks, USA.
                • BT3000

I thought it was one piece too. Couldn't figure it out. Thanks for the explanation. Great job.
                "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...