• Show
Clear All
  • brbhan
    Handtools only
    • Sep 2012
    • NY
    • BT3000

Non-parallel legs on cabinet face frame

Detail: Oak Cabinet construction with oak face frame.
    Face frame ¾” x 2 in wide x 34in. long legs are glued and biscuited at header 26in long.
    Other end of legs’ opening turned out to be 7/8th in less than at header.
    Question: How do I compensate/stretch to get this opening to also be 26 in permanently, without cheating by trimming?

Yes, I should have installed a temporary brace at the end as a guide, before finishing the header side.

Please help!
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

We need a picture or diagram.

When you say 'header', is that the rail at the top of the face frame? (In any frame, the verticals are 'styles', the horizontals are 'rails')
    I gather you have cut the bottom rail shorter than the top rail by 7/8"?

Or, did you mean that the cabinet (behind the face-frame) is already built with un-equal top/bottom part, and you realized it now when you are putting the face-frame on it?

Last edited by radhak; 11-30-2017, 03:34 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm picturing a face frame with legs like this:
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Face frame.JPG Views:	1 Size:	38.4 KB ID:	832260
      And it sounds like you intended for A and B to be 26 inches but C came out 25-1/8"

So either A & B don't match or the pieces for D and E are bowed..

About the only way to fix it is to start over. If A&B are at fault, you can rip off the D&E pieces on the table saw and save them.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...